The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Water Pressure Pump
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
designbug

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bella II
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Water Pressure Pump Reply with quote

This past weekend I discovered that my water pressure pump is not working. This is the second pump that has gone bad in the last year. Cutter Marine kindly replaced the pump last year, but I am no longer closely located to them. I also noticed that the holding tank was full and we have hardly used the marine toilet since the season started (I believe this is related to the bad pump??).

I have read that the 2007 CD25 has a problem with the pump placement in the bilge area.

In the short-term (so we can continue to enjoy the boat and if it's not too expensive) I'd like to replace the existing pump in the same location and perhaps rebuild the old pump as a spare. I'm not too handy, but I think I can do this myself.

In the long-term I'd like to get the pump moved to a more appropriate location. Alternatively, is there a better "waterproof" pump that I can use as a replacement in the same location.

Do you have any recommendations? Is this something that C-Dory will cover under warranty?

Thanks, Dick
Alok

City/Region: League City
State or Province: TX
Photos: Top Cat
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Pressure Pump Reply with quote

designbug wrote:
I also noticed that the holding tank was full and we have hardly used the marine toilet since the season started (I believe this is related to the bad pump??).

Thanks, Dick

Our holding tank has mysteriously filled up twice without being used. I assumed that this was becasue of a small water leak into the bowl from a pressurized system. We now make sure to depressurize the system after use and the problem has not recurred.

How can a bad pump fill up the holding tank?

Just curious Confused

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious. From the above discussion, it appears that the head on the newer boats flushes with fresh water. If so, how big is the fresh water tank?

Boris
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We put a valve on the line leading to the toilet, so it can be turned off. Also, there is no reason to have the water pump turned on unless you are running water... no pressure, no water running mysteriously. It is not difficult to replace the pump (remove some screws, attach 2 wires, and attach a line in and out (and those just "clip" into place). The pump has quit because of water (salt water in our case) intrusion, and there is no repairing it. You can buy a new pump for less than $100, but it should be a replacement item under warranty. C-Dory sent us a pump and i replaced it (saving them the labor). When I replaced it, I moved it up in the bilge area so it wouldn't be IN the water. (Duh!)

For Boris - yes, the toilet uses fresh water to flush; it is like an RV toilet. The fresh water tank holds 20 gallons, but the toilet uses less than a pint to flush, normally. When being very conservative, we put a pop bottle with water in it in the head and use that to flush. (When out for a while or at anchor and don't want to mess with pumping out frequently.) The holding tank on the head is 9 gallons.

HTH

Best wishes,
Jim
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add that, in case you were thinking of using sea water to pour into the toilet bowl as a fresh-water conservation measure, this is allegedly a bad idea because microorganisms in the seawater will cause smells. I don't know if this is an issue with the size of holding tanks we have in our boats, though (this is assuming we have to pump out more often than the big boats -- which may not be accurate.)

Has anyone actually tried flushing with seawater?

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doryman wrote:
Just wanted to add that, in case you were thinking of using sea water to pour into the toilet bowl as a fresh-water conservation measure, this is allegedly a bad idea because microorganisms in the seawater will cause smells. I don't know if this is an issue with the size of holding tanks we have in our boats, though (this is assuming we have to pump out more often than the big boats -- which may not be accurate.)

Warren

Hi Warren,

From my perspective, it is the critters in the sea water that die and stink in most "traditional" marine head set-ups. We put a bit of RV holding tank stuff in our tank after each pump out, and really don't have a problem with smells. If it's really hot, you may need to put in an extra dose on occasion. Since you never get every last drop of the effluent out, I would think sea water would not be a good conservation solution in these heads. Not to get gross, but it's pretty amazing how little water you have to use to flush... makes me feel really wasteful when we're home.
Al & Pat Parker

City/Region: New Bern
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Photos: Knot Home
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doryman wrote:

Warren

Hi folks,
Yes, many boats use seawater to flush the head, and yes, it does promote odors. Our sailboat had been converted to use fresh water from a separate FW tank and never had the typical head odor.
I have posted some info previously about failed FW pumps, maybe have it on my album, but surely do have it on my website which is referenced in my signature. Jabsco makes a "Marine Rated" pump which should be used to replace the original which was prone to failure, particularly if mounted in the bilge as the factory had done. Some dealers, like Mobile East Marine, noted the problem and relocated the original pump out of the bilge water, but they still were prone to fail because of the 100% humidity in the bilge.
There are some pix & pump info on our website C-Dory page.
http://www.boatanchors.org/C-Dory25.htm

on the Neuse River at New Bern
W8UT
www.boatanchors.org/C-Dory25.htm

"there is nothing -absolutely nothing- half as much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
(ratty to mole, Wind in the Willows)
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like James and many others, I simply spliced a ball valve into the water supply line by the head. One can either turn the valve almost off for a small bit of flushing water, or turn it off until needed. It is easy to open and close the valve when seated on the head.

Most of the time, we do not use flushing water unless solids are in the particular "load" at the time. My 9 gal tank would fill up in a day or so at full water pressure and two ppl aboard.

Also, best use practice is to leave the water pump off until needed. Our system sometimes wants to cycle the pump on and off at night which is annoying.

John
designbug

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone used the Jabsco "marine" Model #31395-0092 in the existing bilge location or other location? If so, how well is it working?

Thanks, Dick
Al & Pat Parker

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dick,
Yes, I have used the Jabsco Marine rated pump, I've posted about it a cupla time, to see some more info, see---
[url] I have posted some info previously about failed FW pumps, maybe have it on my album, but surely do have it on my website which is referenced in my signature. Jabsco makes a "Marine Rated" pump which should be used to replace the original which was prone to failure, particularly if mounted in the bilge as the factory had done. Some dealers, like Mobile East Marine, noted the problem and relocated the original pump out of the bilge water, but they still were prone to fail because of the 100% humidity in the bilge.
There are some pix & pump info on our website C-Dory page.
http://www.boatanchors.org/C-Dory25.htm[/url][url]

So far, it's been no problem.
[/url]
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fresh water pump is mounted under the step 'inside' the cabin, no problems, did they move it on newer models?
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
designbug

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 2007 CD25 they mounted it next to the water tank in the bottom of the bilge?

As suggested, I plan to order the the Jabsco "marine" Model #31395-0092 and see how well it works.

Thanks for everyones help...Ill let you know how it goes, Dick
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For whatever it's worth, if you use salt water, salt water and pee form calicum which is deposited on the hose leading from the head to the holding tank. After a few years, one replaces the line, since it's almost blocked. Can hardly wait on Journey On.

Boris
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately there is no hose between the head and the holding tank on our boats since the bowl empties directly into the tank.

Warren
Al & Pat Parker

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:55 am Post subject: Reply with quote
My fresh water pump is mounted under the step 'inside' the cabin, no problems, did they move it on newer models?

hi Steve,
I think you're looking at the cabin bilge pump. Look back under the port side cockpit hatch for the freshwater pump.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: