The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

08/20 - 08/22 - Maine Gathering
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Maine Gathering 2004 Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Good to hear that ya got your C-Dory. So how was the trip from the west coast? Did ya get to cruise there? Let me know when you want to come this way again. Where'd you launch? What did ya see? Did you get up the rivers around Great Bay? We're thinking of a Lake Champlain Gathering in Sept or Oct. Do you know of any places to do there?

Rick
Plan C

City/Region: Port Townsend
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Plan C
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick

The cross country trip was long but not hard. I had some concern that all the bouncing and vibration might hurt something but I haven't seen a problem.

I have been a little short of time to put the boat in since I returned, but I have been to Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard, and then Portsmouth. In Portsmith I put in at the Eliot town landing. It is a nice ramp but they aren't keen on people leaving a trailer over night. Is there a better place for that?

I know nothing about Champlain, but I can talk to John Mayo of Vermont who has a C-Dory , who might have some ideas. I'll want to be a part of that trip.

My next trip might be down to Connecticut, to the area around the CT River mouth. I'll let you know when I am heading back to Portsmouth.

Dave
Plan C

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say where we headed in Portsmouth. We went out to the Isles of Shoals, walked around Smuttynose. The caretaker knew C-Dories but hadn't seen one. It was his intention to own one as his next boat. Bout time we had a New England dealer.

Dave
Rick from Maine

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Maine Gathering 2004 Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

I don't know where in this area that you can leave a trailer overnight at a reasonable cost. I'll check it out and let ya know.

Be sure to let us know when you're headed this way again, and we'll come out to play with you.

We'll definitely include you in any planning for Champlain.

How long does it take you to drive to Winnepasaukie? It makes a nice day trip in the fall Mid week when the muscle boats are snoozing?

Rick from Maine
Plan C

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I am a saltwater snob, but Winnepasaukie doesn't sound all that interesting to me. All in all I like being out of sight of shore and having to navigate.

I'll keep you posted when we head your way next. It won't be too long I think.

Dave
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

LINDA GREENLAW.

Linda spoke on Nantucket a couple of weeks ago about writing her third book, ALL FISHERMAN ARE LIERS. It is well worth reading. I don't think I have laughed so much when she was describing how her friend makes comments in public that up sets her. You will have to read it to understand. Clue, Apple.

In the question and answer period, she was commenting on how much the federal government has screwed up the fishing industry with all its laws and regulations. Case in point. The former representive from the 10th District from Massachusetts, one Gary Studds, who should be listed on the Sexual Predators list, passes a bill making it easer to finance fishing boats. Then every Lawyer in New Bedford has a boat built. Result, over fishing. Studds then passes a law making the Federal Government buy back the boats. All the lawyers then sell the boats to the government for a profit. No wonder everything is screwed up.

One thing Linda did say, a good Fisherman makes money every year, no matter what. It's just the Government makes it hard to make a living.

I am starting tonight to read her second book, LOBSTER CHRONICLES.

Thank You for letting me share.
Fred Heap
Man From Nantucket

Rick from Maine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Maine Gathering 2004 Reply with quote

Re: where can you leave your trailer overnight and have good cruising in Southern Maine

If you want some interesting Salt water navigating, try Casco Bay. When you're outside ( say at Half way Rock) and look in toward the 1,000 islands that blend with the mainland, you'll be doing constant plotting to keep track of your location.

The easiest way to get there, is to launch at the State ramp in Biddeford. Take Rt 95 North to the Biddeford exit at Rt 111, to Rt 1 North, to Rt 208 east. After a few miles you see a blue sign on the right that says launch in 1000 ft. The ramp is on your left. It is paved, with floats for easy single handing, lots of parking ( including overnight) and FREE.

Once you launch and go into the Saco R, go up it all the way to Saco to see the Falls, before ya go out the River to the ocean. From there it's about 8 mi to Casco Bay. Lots of great anchorages in Casco and public owned islands you can land on.

Rick from Maine
Plan C

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I have a good friend in Saco, which would make that all the more attractive. Looks good, plus I have that Blue Chart already.

Have you ever done the trip around NY City? You put in at Mamaroneck NY, go down the East River (can continue south past Statue of Liberty to Sandy Hook NJ and anchor there, or just continue around up the Hudson River, then down the Harlem River and back to the landing. It's a great one or two day trip. On a sunny day, the city is beautiful from the water. Best to go after the politics is over!

Dave
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
Count me in on all cruises next summer. I am planning to use INN THE WATER a lot, both in Boston Harbor as a USCGAux OPFax (patrol boat) and as a cruising boat. I think Lake Champlain would be great. I hope to do the Erie Canal next September. If I still own the Inn, I am going to set up my bill paying on the computer, so I don't have to be around all the time. (I am hoping that the Inn will be sold so Sheila can joan me.)

I hope the Cruises can be five to seven days long, rather then just weekends.

Dave, you made it with your new boat. Great.

Fred Heap
Plan C

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fred

I am headed to LI Sound this weekend, putting in at Saybrook and going across to LI if the weather is decent. There's a chance I could be coming to Nantucket in the next week or two. If I get there I will try to come by and say hi.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: