The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Kicker Relocation
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nordicstallion

City/Region: Crescent City
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Rylee Rose
Photos: Rylee Rose
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, your truley a wonderfull human being. I feel better allready. Thank you once again. Vern
cemiii

City/Region: Alamo
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: The Last One........ III
Photos: The Last One, III
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, I had a Met back in college in Wisconsin in the mid-late 60's. A steering joint finally went out and I couldn't find a replacement I could afford. Unless I got out and kicked the tire over I could not make right hand turns. To go right, I had to go a block past and make a series of 3 lefts. But with gas at sub 30 cent ranges it wasn't an issue back then (except with dates who were not particularly impressed when asked to get out and kick the front right over). Should have cosmolined and saved that car........ lots of memories.

At any rate, moving the kicker left seems a similar logistics feat. I have a long extension, kind of like this universal but aluminum and apparently better built (from the poor reviews). From your pictures, something articulated like this just might work for you.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21276-cat21322&id=0029965017444a&navCount=2&podId=0029965&parentId=cat21322&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat21322&hasJS=true&hasJS=true

It would be great if you could run something flat like a 2x4 or a level back (perhaps with a clamp) from the bottom of your kicker cav plate to the transom at the various settings and where they end up in relation to the bottom of the boat. Hard to tell from just looking at the pictures but I'll bet she'll function almost full up. Just keep an eye on that P stream. Also let us know what bracket you have.

Another great C-Brats "Sea trial first", can't wait to see your findings.

chris
cemiii

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordic, take a look at the last picture in my album. Even that worked ok as a kicker depth. On starboard it works ok with the tiller. It works great with a tie bar on the front of both motors and tiller mostly up, steered from the helm. I think your mini-jacker fixed mount is probably a pretty good solution and should be solid enough to trailer it up. With your long shaft (I assume it's about 22 to the plate) you should be able to mount a mini with the top a couple inches above the existing transom and still have plenty of depth. I saw a couple mini-jackers on e-bay. just type in "mini-jacker".I don't know if those are good prices or not.

If you use your kicker with the tiller make sure it won't reach your main motor (mine would touch the Permatrim). To run as tiller, I needed to always raise my main. With the tie bar there is no problem.

You should definitely wait for the results of Phil's depth tests if you can.

chris
nordicstallion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, I have time to wait for Phil. So far I have yet to finish installing the c.b. & antenna, construct & install radar mount,radar dome,permatrim,new deck paint,patch many unneeded holes in forward side of motor well,locate & repair source of water leaking into v berth storage comp. Ive got time! Hope im ready for albacore. My wife asked if I was going to store the kicker in the corner of the living room with everything else. How rude is that. Vern
cemiii

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vern, take a gander on the album how big the new 9.9 4 stroke is compared to the 15 2 stroke. I hung it on the left just for measurement sake. It's huge and there is no way it can stay on the left without being attached to the main. Needs to come back 6" and up 4.5" to be right hieght and clear everything. Then I've still got the throttle concern and I probably need to move the transducer too.

Is your kicker new (under warranty)? That's something to consider also, check with your dealer to see that your mounting would not void the warranty if it's not exactly as the manual says. I just opened the box today.

Chris
nordicstallion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, Here comes that headache again. How much does your 9.9 weigh? I think my yamaha looks bigger. The high thrust is 112 lbs. Its a new 2006 model & I saw nothing in the book about mounting in anything other than as a main on a skiff.I hope the tuna come in real close this year. Vern
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On page 2 of my album you can see some pics of a yamaha 15 h.p. four stroke mounted to starboard, on a mini jacker, next to a yamaha 80 main which is the physical size of the 100 h.p. Just detuned to 80 h.p. The kicker clears both the main engine and the Bennett 120 sport tabs. The tiller will barely hit the splash well wall to starboard and the main to port in a full locked turn if I don't lift it up. The kicker will turn the boat tighter than the main.

I prefer running the kicker out back in the fresh air. Not interested in the connector bar to the main. I always run with the main engine raised and as mentioned makes a great back rest. Even therapeutic when that big engine cover is warm and you cover it with a wet towel. I often sit on a boat cushion on the lazarette and steer with my left foot. When the throttle tension is set you can even control the throttle and steer with one foot. (safety lanyard around ankle) You have good visibility looking thru the cabin windows this way. I can even see the sonar at the helm thru the aft cabin window.

If both batteries are to starboard as mine are it will list slightly but it is no big deal. The boat can be leveled by moving a cooler, spare anchor or other gear. At faster speeds the trim tabs handle it. This arrangment works good especially if your swim step is already to port. I would recommend moving the batteries to port and keep the kicker to starboard if faced with the decision. But like I said I haven't felt the need to move the batteries. My bait well is used for dry storage, extra ropes and such. So, if I did move batteries up pops another problem.

cemiii

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

107# i think, C-Weeds 15 on the jacker looks like it could be a good fit for you. Probably exactly the same size/weight. chris
nordicstallion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Chris & Chris.Your help is greatly appreciated. C-Weed is a truely a thing of beauty & the object of my desire. It appears as though the starboard installation may well be the more common sence direction to go. I also like the laid back Huck Finn image you conjured of you with feet up lounging on the main & splash well steering with your foot. Happy days gentlemen. Vern/C-Dog
cemiii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey C-Dog, those tuna may very well come in really close this year...........but let's face it, they're still not coming into the corner of your living room!

chris
nordicstallion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chris. Do you have inside tuna info.? Season starts in june doesnt it? Where do you fish from? Ill be out of Cresant City,Brookings,& charleston.That was a thinly veiled slur about the proximity of tuna to the corner of my living room,but well deserved. I should have named the new boat Slow Shoes instead of C-Dog.I can use the prodding &pressure. Ill be working on the permatrim today. Its a beautiful day in the nieghborhood in the Sac. valley.Thanks for the incentive. Vern/C-Dog
ccflyer

City/Region: Bradenton, FL
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Retriever
Photos: ccflyer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the skinny on running my kicker on the adjustable bracket.

The range on the bracket is only about 4". I ran the kicker in both the full up position and full down position. At half throttle the GPS indicated 4.5 MPH in both positions with no noticable change in sound or performance. Now I suppose you might be able to get the motor mounted a few inches higher on the transom without killing the impeller.

I posted a couple of more photos at the end of my album "Adding a Kicker"

I don't trailer the boat often but when I have I raise the motor on the bracket and then tilt it up and lock it in that position - same with the Honda 90.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
cemiii

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCFLYER,

Thanks for the info. If it were mine I'd run it at the higher setting so long as your cav plate stays under water. My johnson manual states that if you run them too deep you could cause powerhead damage from water entry into the lower engine cover. Also you're less likely to hit bottom. your pictire looks really deep at full down.

I finally got mine mounted on the port side. Had to build my own transom bracket (with about 6" lift and 6.75 inches back)but it's super strong and I have no trailering worries. It has full range of steering with the arm at about 60 degrees and the tiller arm reaches to about the top of the gunnel. I can also tie it to the main motor with a removable stainless bar. I have a short tiller extention to better control throttle.

chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: