The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Portable washdown/shower
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Portable washdown/shower Reply with quote

I saw a small add in a magazine about these portable pumps under the "Rule" brand. They say they are good for salt/fresh water and even diesel fuel transfer. For washing down the deck or to shower with. Can be dropped over the side to pump whatever water your floating in. With aligator clips it runs off 12 volt battery.

This link has several versions:

http://www.rule-industries.com/products/pumps/slimline_in_line_submersible_pumps/index.htm

Seems like it would work good for dropping in a warm container of water without trying to attach a sun shower at the highest point for gravity feed.

Has anyone tried one?

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want simple and inexpensive for a shower/wash down, we used a garden sprayer on our trimaran. Paint the one gallon tank black, fill it with water, put it in the sun, and in very little time you have warm/hot water. Pump the pressure up, and use the wand with a push bottom. One gallon doesn't sound like much, but with the pressure, it was plenty for a shower and hair washing. Total investment: less than $20. Also worked good for washing the deck.

We also used a Zodi portable propane water heater/pump for evening showers... a little more set up than the bug sprayer: pour water into the container, turn on the battery operated pump, fire up the propane heater... let the water recirculate into the container and in a few minutes you have hot water. The pump uses a couple D batteries and the propane is the small camp canisters. Around $100.

http://www.zodi.com/web-content/Consumer/zodihottaptravelshower.html

I haven't tried the Rule shown in your post, but these are some alternatives that work and are easy, self-contained, and compact.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Portable washdown/shower Reply with quote

C-WEED wrote:
I saw a small add in a magazine about these portable pumps under the "Rule" brand. They say they are good for salt/fresh water and even diesel fuel transfer. For washing down the deck or to shower with. Can be dropped over the side to pump whatever water your floating in. With aligator clips it runs off 12 volt battery.

http://www.rule-industries.com/products/pumps/slimline_in_line_submersible_pumps/index.htm

Seems like it would work good for dropping in a warm container of water without trying to attach a sun shower at the highest point for gravity feed.

Has anyone tried one?

I like it, attach to the batteries in the Laz and through the pump overboard. Still sitting on the fence with regards to drilling another hole in my boat, this may be just the ticket for fish cleaning and cockpit rinse down; like the shower idea also.

Thanks for the link,

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks good for a portable shower from Cabelas.
KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
GOYO

City/Region: Bonney Lake
State or Province: WA
Photos: GOYO
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breausaw
How about matching the plug for the electric downrigger and plugging the
overboard pump in there.
Roger
That portable from Cabelas has all kinds of benefits. No drain on boat water tank, refillable fresh water instead of salt water, extra water if the boat water tank runs short, I like it.

breausaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOYO wrote:
Breausaw
How about matching the plug for the electric downrigger and plugging the
overboard pump in there.

That would work if I had an electric downrigger, don't even have a hand cranker model.. Could plug into my battery tender quick connecter though. Idea

Jay
breausaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: BIG KAHUNA Reply with quote

C-Hawk wrote:

WOW--Just looked at the Big Kahuna Portable 12-Volt Shower at Cabelas, I like it!
Think I’ll click on the BUY BUTTON.
Dene

City/Region: Kalama
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Fear Naut & Terra-Sea-Ta
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Hawk wrote:

It's unclear whether it actually heats water.

-Greg
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dene wrote:
C-Hawk wrote:

It's unclear whether it actually heats water.

-Greg

It doesn't heat the water. Set it in the sun for solar heat or heat a pot of water on the stove and add it to the shower for warm water.

Roger
breausaw

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Portable washdown/shower Reply with quote

C-WEED wrote:

Has anyone tried one?

West Marine has the Whole Kit on sale at 79.99. My Anchorage store has them in stock so I’m going to buy one tonight and check it out.
Plan on tossing the pump in a bucket of water to see how she works.
If the results are favorable it could save me from drilling another hole in the boat for a wash down.
Figure on extended weekends we could toss it in a bucket of worm water and take a shower.
Could change out the spray nozzle with one that adjusts to shower spray.
Just a thought..
C-Pelican

City/Region: SoCal
C-Dory Year: 1992
Vessel Name: C Pelican
Photos: C-Pelican
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim B,

Do you mean one of those 'pump up and down to get pressure' tanks that people use to put liquid fertilizers or bug spray in?

It sure would be nice to have something on board to get that scratchy salt water off my body after diving in.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Pelican wrote:
Jim B,

Do you mean one of those 'pump up and down to get pressure' tanks that people use to put liquid fertilizers or bug spray in?

It sure would be nice to have something on board to get that scratchy salt water off my body after diving in.

Yep. The venerable bug/garden sprayer. The one gallon variety. The ultimate in KISS technology. It worked great for taking a shower in the cockpit or out on the nets (when we wanted to scare the neighbors) of our trimaran. You get a lot more pressure than the typical solar shower. I could get a couple hair washings/showers out of a gallon, due to the pressure. Then, you could easily carry it around the boat to wash off grub/bird droppings. Pump it a few times and spray. Paint it black and it will get plenty warm sitting out in the sun.

These days, I really like the enclosed head on Wild Blue with the handy cabintop that holds a 5 gallon solar shower. Or the onboard water heater when it's cloudy or at night. The neighbors are happier, too. Wink
C-Pelican

City/Region: SoCal
C-Dory Year: 1992
Vessel Name: C Pelican
Photos: C-Pelican
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim, that sounds like a GREAT idea and I already have one of those to spray the trailer wheels off with after ocean launches. But I use to leave it in the truck. Funny how solutions are often hitting you straight in the face and you cant see them....

It shall soon be painted black and stored aboard the C Pelican !

KISS is good.
breausaw

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Pelican wrote:
Thanks Jim, that sounds like a GREAT idea and I already have one of those to spray the trailer wheels off with after ocean launches. But I use to leave it in the truck. Funny how solutions are often hitting you straight in the face and you cant see them....

It shall soon be painted black and stored aboard the C Pelican !

KISS is good.

What a great idea; another innovation achieved by necessity from a fellow C-brat.
My garden pump sprayer has a new purpose in life, thank you.
RichardW

City/Region: Huntsville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C Eagle
Photos: C Eagle
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have used both a sunshower and a 2 gallon garden sprayer setup for a while. A downside to the Sunshower is that the water cools quickly so you have to use it before it becomes a cold-water-in-a-bag shower.

We have tried hard to follow the KISS principle and especially not have anything that runs on non-12V (or better yet no batteries). I also looked at the Zodi, a nice unit, but held on to KISS. The Big Kahuna looks good to me because you can plug it in to any cig light socket and it holds a lot of water.
I attached a 7 foot hose to the garden sprayer and affixed a clip so that the sprayer / trigger unit can be quickly attached to the bimini cross brace over head. You can use the trigger for continuous or intermittent water delivery. We heat up water on the Wallas and add to the sprayer tank in cooler weather. We have privacy panels for the camperback and sometimes snap a shower curtain diagonally across the cockpit for more privacy and lots of room. The dri dek floor lets the shower water run to a bilge pump.
For boat washdown, fish cleaning and coffee pot cleaning duties, I added a washdown pump that can take water from the fresh water tank or from the water outside. I often wash the boat on the trailer from the fresh water tank while the grunge on the boat is moist and comes off easily. The bride likes to wash her hair from the washdown sprayer or the garden sprayer. Jury is still out on the best setup. Even a "Navy shower" using hot water from the Wallas is good.
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: