The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Frsh Water Rinse for Honda 40 Twins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tejohnsrude

City/Region: Bremerton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Darlene Mae
Photos: Darlene Mae
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Frsh Water Rinse for Honda 40 Twins Reply with quote

My boat is in the water all the time. Salt water. Honda says the engines should have a fresh water rinse each time it used. How in heck can that be done without hauling the boat out each time? Is there some attachment somewhere that I am unaware of? Help!!
Ted
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a fitting available from Honda that will screw into the block by the thermostat housing. You would then simply take off the engine cover. screw in the housing, hook up the hose and flush it with fresh water.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I use on Constant Craving... In the thread that reported the flushing bags, some of the folks reported using them in the water. It sounds awkward, but I guess it can be done. Here's a link to Quality Marine Products.

Christopher-Robyn

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Christopher K.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Fresh Water Rinse Reply with quote

Maybe I'm missing something with regard to how that engine flush feed-bag works! I guess you fill it with fresh water, start the engine and then constantly replenish whatever overflows using the hose. With the engine cooling water intake in very close proximity to the cooling water discharge, wouldn't it take a very long time and use a great volume of water to displace the salt water with fresh water?
Paul K
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Spot On Reply with quote

Paul,

You hit it on the nose.

What I like about the flush bag is that you don't risk ruining the impeller by using a set of muffs. On the Honda 8 in the photo, I burned up the impeller after a grand total of about 15 hours on the engine. I don't know if the water pressure was too much/little, but it started squealing after about 3 minutes of operation. The owners manual recommends never using muffs.

Hence the flush bag. Just make sure that you measure correctly and let Quality Marine know if you have a permatrim plate.

Steve
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Honda 150's have a little hose fitting just under the engine lid into which youi run water while the engines are NOT running. I guess this rinses all but the bottom of the leg.

John
Christopher-Robyn

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Christopher K.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I think I'll give the flushing bag a try if my boat ever gets built. I'll just have to keep an eye out for the "water police".
Paul K
tejohnsrude

City/Region: Bremerton
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Darlene Mae
Photos: Darlene Mae
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Fitting for Honda 40 HP OB water flushing Reply with quote

gljjr wrote:
There should be a fitting available from Honda that will screw into the block by the thermostat housing. You would then simply take off the engine cover. screw in the housing, hook up the hose and flush it with fresh water.

I spoke with a Honda dealer in Seattle and he said there was no way he knew of that the engine could be flushed while in the water. He was unaware of any fitting as you mentioned. Perehaps he is ill-informed. Will try to reach a factory service rep.
Thank you for your suggestion. Much appreciated
Ted
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the fitting installed on my Honda 50. It had a hose that excited from under the engine cowling that you attached a garden hose to. very convenient. I had it done at Big Boys Play Toys 386-328-4510. Might give them a call to find out more.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted,

You can read the Honda owner's manual for your particular engines on the Honda site. My owner's manual describes the hose fittings for the 135 and 150 Honda outboards.

You can search for the Honda site and read your manual. It works better if you have the engine no.s , etc., but they still let you read manuals in general.

Without the serial and model no.s you may get misinformation.

John
captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Hunky Dory I had twin 40's. I ordered a small brass fitting that screws onto the lower unit when in the water or on land. The engines must be up in the water untill hooked up. You don't run the engines, just wait for the water to pee out of the upper unit. I never actualy done it when on a mooring because we had no running water. I wonder if a guy could use the wash down hose....... I don't see why not. Funny Honda didn't tell you that. It is a Honda product.

captd

2007 25 R Ranger (Mis Dee) sold 2008
2009 25 R Ranger (Lucky Fin) sold
1994 22 ft C-Dory ( Kon Tiki )
westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have attempted to use flushing bags to flush Honda t-40's while the boat is moored in saltwater. Sorry to report that it's a real pain in the neck. It can be done but IMHO is not worth the hassle and possible danger. You have to climb into the motor well and "lasso" the flush bag around the lower unit with the motor up. Then you lower the motor and simultaneously begin filling the bag with fresh water (and a splash of salt away to make things go quicker. Once you lower the motor low enough to safely run it you start it up, flush, then raise the motor, timing the removal of the b ag with the lower unit clearing the saltwater body. It's as complicated as it sounds. If you spill any salt away in the splashwell you're walking on a very slick surface. I'll keep the bag for trailer flushing but keep looking for a credible fitting for an easier flush. Mike.
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Honda Rinse Fittings Reply with quote

Mike,

Honda makes a good fitting for flushing the engines, you just can't run the engines while doing so. I am not certain how complete it it compared to having the lower unit in fresh water, but it can't be that bad.

BTW, I have both a flush bag and fittings for each of the Honda's (90 and Cool, but prefer to have the lower unit in fresh water when ever I can.

Regards,

Steve
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Honda website shows the flush fitting that attaches to the block in the assesories section part number 06190-2v1-860. http://www.honda-marine.com/accessories.aspx#
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: