View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tad and Toby Jackson

City/Region: Merritt Island
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Comfy Dory
Photos: Comfy Dory
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Anchor rode container Reply with quote

Hello to All from Sunny and Warm Florida's East Coast,

Does anyone have suggestions for some kind of container that can be put on the foredeck to hold the anchor rode? We typically anchor in water that is not much more than 30' deep, so we only carry 200 ft. of rode with a Danforth anchor. There is no hatch on the foredeck for an anchor locker. The area that many Dory's have for a sealed anchor locker has a half high bulkhead and we use that area for towels and pillows. After reading about many C.D's having problems with leaking from the anchor locker, I am glad to use that area for other uses.
I currently coil the rode up against the raised roof in the berth with the chain on top. While I have never had a problem with the rode blowing off, I am concerned about a wave washing the rode overboard while in a storm or while offshore.

Thanks in advance...Tad
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tad-

The simplest solution I've seen in your situation is to use a plastic milk carton container or similar large well ventilated container.

Strap it down in front of the cabin trunk and behind the center deck cleat, using that cleat and the bow pulpit rails at the base to anchor bungee cords. You might have to add some tie-down eyes, cleats or other places to fully secure the container.

The ventilated cross-rib design of the container will provide for rinsing he rode and drying it out.

Cheap solution, too!

(TyBoo had a photo of such a rig on the old 22-ft TyBoo, but it's not there now.)

Others may have more suggestions.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the same vein, where are people putting their spare anchors & rodes? And when they use them do they replace the anchor & rode already in the windlass? If not, how are they deployed?

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: 2nd anchor Reply with quote

I'm about to cross that threshold myself...it's just about that time for me to shift from the major install and prep project to figuring out where to store things aboard.

We can store 6' tall people in each forward sponson storage area of the Tomcat (I know this personally) Disgust Ha ha - storing an anchor definitely requires padding so it cannot bang against the inside of the hull.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Tad and Toby Jackson

City/Region: Merritt Island
C-Dory Year: 1995
Vessel Name: Comfy Dory
Photos: Comfy Dory
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: 2nd Rode/Anchor Reply with quote

Warren,
When we bought the Comfy Dory last June, the previous owner had a cover made out of Sunbrella to match the Bimini color. The cover when opened up has 4 short lines tied to it. The anchor and coiled rode lay in it and then the lines are tied together and you have a carrying bag with rope handle for the 2nd anchor and rode. This anchor we keep in the floor storage compartment below the dinette table. If the coiled line is laid in the cover first and then the chain and then the anchor, the rode acts as a cushion for the anchor so that it does not rattle against the hull.
I do not have a windlass and have not had occasion to have to deploy a 2nd anchor yet, so I can't answer your other question.

Thanks Joe. I have an old Borden's plastic milk crate in the workshop that I can experiment with this weekend.

Thanks...Tad
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have on the tug ....is a blue bag like thing that is specifically made for that purpose....they are sold by West Marine....the line actually goes through it....and the line coils up in it...and the chain lays on the top....it attaches to one of the stantions so it is neat and tidy... works really well...the line never gets tangled...and it is really well protected from the sun...I have used it for years and it has held up well..

Joel
SEA3PO
Kea (the tug)
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Anchor Rode Control Reply with quote

Tad,

Check out the surplus stores for a large military canvas bag. We used to call them parachute bags. They work for luggage, things like PFDs, anchor and shrimp/crab pot lines, and what ever else you can think of. As far as that goes, there must be a number of duffles in the outdoor shops that would fit the bill.

They have a couple of loop handles, and a large zipper across the top. just tie them on to the bow pulpit.

Steve
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=77228&PRODID=60136

Capn Jack

City/Region: La Conner
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Pocket Yacht
Photos: Pocket Yacht
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Anchor Locker Reply with quote

Take a look@ Old Growth & pocket Yacht

Typeing's a Bitch with one hand. Smile

Jack CoolSmile
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have used the "plastic Milk crates"--some given to us, some purchased. West Marie carries some--like what our generator and its fuel tank are on.

For the extra rode and anchor storage, on the Tom cat, C dories we have always put them under the foot rest under the dinette. We have also put an extra anchor in the bilge aft of the CD 25. We tend to use lighter rodes for stern anchors. Usually carry two or three extra anchors--most commonly at least one Fortress.

At Lake Powell, we anchor stern to the beach, and use two anchors on shore for this.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Adeline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
West Marine carries some

MILK CRATE
Yellowstone

City/Region: White Sulphur Springs
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Farwest II
Photos: Farwest III
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tad - I have a suggestion for storage of your rode that is is pure function, inexpensive, and versatile. The only drawback I have found is aesthetics - for some people - certainly not all. I have had two CD 22's with anchor pipes, and tried several systems before coming to this rather simple system. Even with rode storage below the deck (and not having a windlass) is it is a nuisance to snake the rope back and forth through the pipe when you want to anchor. And putting a wet rope back into the compartment creates other issues. I tried the plastic milk carton with mixed results. Go to a livestock store and look at the variety of rubber feeders. Most are round with sides, some straight and some sloping.I settled for one about two feet in diameter. Like formal attire, the tubs come in basic black. I keep the anchor in the roller and run the excess chain and rope in the tub. The excess rope coils nicely (and quickly). The tub's rim has a round metal wire completely covered, and you can pierce two sides and tie the tub to SS rails. The tub won't skid around, won't mar, won't mark the gel coat and non-skid, and won't rot. You can dump your chain and anchor on top of the rope and it will stay put. When you decide to anchor. you simply drop the anchor and chair over the roller and let the rope play out. If you have coiled it properly, it will not get tangled up as it comes out of the tub. Tubs are ugly to some folks, but who cares unless you are making a fashon statement. For less than 20 bucks you can have truly functional storage, readily available. Give it a try. Yellowstone
Adeline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

250' of 3/8" 3-strand and 15' 1/4" "proof coil" chain. Top 1/3rd of crate trimmed off. 1/16th" shield protects and "Poly Cords" secure. Crate has rubber feet to protect gelcoat/nonskid.
jlastofka

City/Region: Vista
Vessel Name: Bossa Nova
Photos: Bossa Nova
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the blue West Marine bag like Joel mentioned and it works well. I see now that the milk crate would be somewhat tidier for my stern anchor, I think. I intend to try one for a while.

I like my windlass setup and I haven't noticed any smell from the anchor locker on my CD22, but if I were going to keep the line on deck, I like the setup Adeline shows.

Have you seen the flat anchor line that reels up neatly on a specially made reel? Google "Ankarolina" and have a look. It would be a pretty tidy way to store a stern anchor line.

Let's see if I get this picture link right:

Jeff
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,
I had a 200 foot piece of tubular nylon webbing back in the late 50's--fun and interesting rope--but I didn't really like it as an anchor rode. Less stretch than double braid, not all that easy to "hand" (grip). and it has to be oversewn, since it cannot be spliced. Knots tend to jam, even bowlines. But it does look nice. We always made up coils of anchor rode and just hung them on the radar arch or aft railings on the larger boats.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: