The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New camper back

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: New camper back Reply with quote

New camper back made locally here in Anchorage by Busters upholstery, about $1600 and change but worth it. Looked at most the camper backs here to get ideas but thought the extended tops had too many attachment points and support poles, this top has one pole each side attached to the gunwale and one tension strap on the rear; height is 6.5 feet. Busters inserts a smaller rod inside the main rod and bends them together producing an extremely stout main support rod, the key to their design.
The fabric-covered rods are also an upgrade from the norm; they won’t tarnish the clear plastic.
Fact is Busters made this top for another 22ft CD a week before mine was built, I plagiarized the idea.
The top buttons around the lazerettes so the rear cleats are accessible with access to the lazerettes from the inside.
More pictures in my album.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
C-Duck

C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: C-Duck (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on. Looks good - identical to mine! I had Busters do my camperback a week or so before yours, looks like they did the same set-up on yours. They did a top notch job - I'm very pleased with it.

I really like the extended version to the back of the lazerettes - feels a lot more roomy and it's nice having access to them while being protected from the rain!

I came back from vacation on Saturday and had nearly 2 feet of fresh, dense, wet snow piled up on my camperback. Held up strong (though I was quick to remove it) - Buster's did a superb job.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Duck wrote:
Right on. Looks good - identical to mine! I had Busters do my camperback a week or so before yours, looks like they did the same set-up on yours. They did a top notch job - I'm very pleased with it.

I really like the extended version to the back of the lazerettes - feels a lot more roomy and it's nice having access to them while being protected from the rain!

I came back from vacation on Saturday and had nearly 2 feet of fresh, dense, wet snow piled up on my camperback. Held up strong (though I was quick to remove it) - Buster's did a superb job.

Did they use Alu or Stainless rods? & where are they located?
C-Duck

C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: C-Duck (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with aluminum - was a lot cheaper. Buster's installs a reinforced main tube (essentially a tube within a tube) for extra strength. The bonus is they put a sunbrella sleeve over all of the aluminum tubes - so the aluminum is protected and the infamous black residue aluminum tends to shed is sealed away.

They do offer stainless, but I think they need a week or two head's up to order the stuff. A bit more pricey.

Buster's is located near Merrill Field in Anchorage behind Taco Bell. The address is 2351 E 4th Ave, phone # is (907) 276-8677. They are nice folks and do a solid job.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: