The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cockpit Steering Station on TC255
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Little

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: TomCat
Photos: TomCat
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Cockpit Steering Station on TC255 Reply with quote

Our still being commissioned TomCat has a second steering station in the cockpit. There are no engine controls. The question is whether the additional expense to add engine controls for this steering station is worth it for the time spent actually steering from the cockpit.
Those of you that have the second steering station, is it worth while? For those who do not have the second station, do you wish you had?
The dealer has not yet given me a price for the additional engine controls. Unless the price is unexpectedly low, will probably remove the station.
Would appreciate you comments.

Punta Gorda FL
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, it's not far from the cockpit to the helm and, with the level deck to cross from the cockpit pretty easy. If your boat already has the steering, why not leave it there? Taking it out will probably leave some indication that it was there and detract from the value of the boat. If you fish, and you're trolling, it's probably a good thing to have.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
CW

City/Region: Kalama
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Satisfaction
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my style of fishing (often trolling in a river that requires frequent mending of lines as the bottom depth changes) I'd rather have a second set of full engine controls than radar. C.W.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CW, unless you're just talking about $$, that's like saying I'd rather have a headache than an upset stomach.
Shocked
Charlie
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dive Cat was set up with a second set of engine controls--I believe that they were Micro Commander. My understanding is that they cost in the $5,000 range. They were set up on the transom, and a jog stick for the auto pilot was used for steering.

If I was to have a second set of controls (which I don't see as necessary unless you are a very serious trolling fisherman)--I would want full shifters and throttles. Visability is somewhat limited from the cockpit--and you want to be able to vary speed as well as direction.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Coal Miner

City/Region: Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Wanna-be" speaking up here. I do not own a C-Dory I will make that clear for no recourse. My opinion as a fisherman and a boater (often solo) is if money is not an object what is the harm in having the second station? I get mixed results from folks on this subject all the time and I can't understand what the problem is in having a cockpit steering station. Every commercial boat I have seen on the West Coast has a cockpit steering station of one sort or the other. They are great IMO and I won't go into detail why because it just's obvious.
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMNSHO, if you don't have engine controls at the aft steering station, you might as well not have the aft steering at all. You might look into what the difference is between installing the aft engine controls later vs. installing them at the same time as the forward controls -- because I can pretty much guarantee you that you will want to add those controls eventually so you can run the boat from the cockpit.

While it is true that the aft controls are great for fishing, they are also very handy for backing in cramped quarters (e.g., a marina) where you can't see backwards very well.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aft steering controls on the TomCat are an option which one should install at the outset, if desired. The aft steering requires electronic controls of throttle, shifting, etc., which would involve removing the original factory steering/engine controls and replacing the entire setup with electronic/hydraulic units.

The big expense, about $9,000 including the station itself, is the main electronic/hydraulic controls. If you have them at the outset, then the additional aft components are not too expensive.

I love my aft controls, and had wished to have them on my last half dozen boats.

For single handling, the aft station is a lifesaver. For landing in storms and complex wind/tide situations it is invaluable. For rescuing overboards and getting skiers, boarders, tubers back in, it is great. For docking, it relieves a lot of stress, you just casually step ashore.

For close maneuvering, it allows a better sense of the bow's position. For grilling steaks/shrimp at a leisurely speed in calm water, it allows you to pilot the ship at the same time. (Note: Slow Speed! Calm Water!)

It allows you to get out in the cool air to keep bugs off you when they invade the pilothouse to avoid wind.

I use mine almost every time I leave the moorings.

John
Tom Little

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: TomCat
Photos: TomCat
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John for the well expressed justification for the cockpit steering station. My boat does not have any engine controls installed yet. With a clean slate my options are open. I have found that the dealer priced the boat with only the most basic items and everything is an upgrade and extra cost. Tomorrow I expect to get the "upgrade" price
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
aft steering requires electronic controls of throttle, shifting, etc., which would involve removing the original factory steering/engine controls and replacing the entire setup with electronic/hydraulic units.

Why? I'm setting up my 27' to have an aft station. The steering is hydraulic and the throttle/shift will be cables run as a slave to the front controls. Very simple system that has been used on many a cruiser over the years.

drjohn71a

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Gary, I too have had other boats with slave cable steering and engine controls, but the C-Dory factory told me that the only current way to get all that in a TomCat 255 is with the electronic controls. Even if I had but one control, the electronic is nice.

Also, just in case others are weighing aft station decisions, you all should know that for trolling at slow speeds, but not docking nor close quarters handling, remote controlled autopilots have worked well for some boaters.

good luck on your decision,

John
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dual mechanical stations are relitatively easy and cheap to to install for inboards and I/O engines. Unfortunately this does not seem to be true for outboard engines--and part has to do with the location and access of the binicle type of shifting unit. I have owned three boats with dual stations--but they were much larger boats, and had all mechanical systems. I can see the dual controls for fishing, but the C Dories are so easy to handle, and there is either a few feet to the cockpit--or reach out the window to secure lines, that I could not justify the dual controls for myself based on that alone. Also the second station takes room in the cockpit (exception the remote in Dive Cat, which was located on the top of the transom). An aft bulkhead station, with a wheel, seems as if it would be in the way when boarding from the Starboard side.

I have really enjoyed auto pilots with wired remotes which you could take all over the boat and steer where ever you were positioned. A friend just purchased a 72 footer--and it has remotes--apparently one set was not working due to corrosion.
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
An aft bulkhead station, with a wheel, seems as if it would be in the way when boarding from the Starboard side.

It's not in the way when boarding but it does take away space against the cabin wall for storing things like boat hooks, fishing rods & nets, etc.

Warren
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the steering station to help hold the boathooks,etc., in place. I think the station allows more hand hold and knee leaning points for boarding, etc..

It's not a mandatory thing. I have just wished I had one for so many years that I am thrilled with the aft steering. Maybe because I single hand much of the time.

It is nice when fishing, photographing, etc., to not have to run back and forth to the cabin helm.

As Dr. Bob says, you can certainly get along fine without an aft station.

John
CW

City/Region: Kalama
Vessel Name: Satisfaction
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain's Cat,

I saw a nice boat a couple summers ago. It had plenty of size to it so there was also a runabout that could drive/launch from within the stern and its recessed berth. Yeah, I'd like to have that one too. The "runabout" was a 55 ft. Hatteras cruiser. All the big boat needed was a clearly marked helipad so the bikini models could make a quick run into Venice for chianti and pasta.
I imagine there's a whole 'nuther set of "headaches" with that set up.

No, I still fish in the real world where money and how to spend it are factors to consider. I've fished all my life without radar and, though I'd like to have it and plan to put it on my next boat, I consider a boat with cockpit controls much more important. If vision is limited, I stick my head out into the air and listen and look and move with caution and purpose.

C.W.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: