The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cantilevered drop over Trex cooler rack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Cantilevered drop over Trex cooler rack Reply with quote

Cantilevered cooler rack made from trex. Normally I wouldn’t use this stuff for anything structural, but for this purpose it works out great. The stuff is so malleable it won’t scratch the gel coat, but stiff enough that I can stand at the edge of the cantilever. Used the trex balusters as stiffeners, they don’t flex like the deck boards.
I’ve been thinking about how to build and install a cooler rack for weeks but didn’t finalize my idea until today. I was actually going to approach this project differently, even had the trex, but after further analysis decided to go with the drop over approach; best part is there’s no holes to drill.
Once dropped in place if wont move easily, snug as can be.
For adhesive I used Goop, Marine Goop in this case, but all Goop is the same just different packaging.
Never sanded an edge nor painted a thing, and used deck screw. They make this stuff in white but nobody had it, gray or brown was my choice.
Hay, if it falls apart after a couple year all spend another 30 bucks, my feelings are it wont; it comes with a 30 year rot proof guaranty.

not over the center, just dropped in for picture.

Butt ugly cooler

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. Do you think it will support the weight of a fully loaded icechest?
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jay,
Nice idea!

It sounds like you stood on the support while it was on the boat to test it. I would think that you would weigh more than a fully loaded ice chest but I don't know what you or an ice chest weighs.

I think I would add a larger bearing surface to the aft supports. Don't know how strong the fiberglass is there but it would be easy to add a short piece flat against splashwell similar to the inside supports.

Does your canvas close in the back with the ice chest in place? I know mine will not but I really like this idea - especially the no holes.

Steve
breausaw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My camper back buttons around the lazerettes so have plenty of room. Weigh 210 and stood on the ends of supports so think a fully loaded cooler will be just fine. Thoughts are the cooler will come off the rack when headed to port or when the weather is foul; can only dream of filling that cooler.
Next project will be building a cutting board top that fits over the cooler and stows under it when not in use.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: a 180??? Reply with quote

Jay,

I like it! I was thinking of doing something similar, but in wood, on the inside and using legs for support.

Do you think you could flip it around 180 degrees so the cantilevered portion is over the cockpit???? My the back panel on the camperback would not allow me to set things up like you have. I wonder if there is enough surface area on the forward edge of the splash well to support the weight.....

Steve. [/list]
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thought for you to consider if you're designing a rack:

I built a cooler rack myself last fall, and decided to place it so that the cooler and rack both were "balanced" on the front edge of the motor well. This leaves half of the cooler in the motor well, and half of it hanging out over the cockpit.

This still gets it up off the floor, which is the big reason for the rack, so you can get full access to the foot room of the cockpit and not be foot movement restricted, and it leaves the motor forward enough that the motor can be tilted up out of the water for mooring and trailering without taking the cooler and rack down.

It might also allow for the clearance for the camper canvas to fit over the cooler depending on how the camper canvas was designed.

I built mine out of 1/2" plywood with wooden rails front and back to hold the cooler centered. The rack attaches to the front of the engine well via two rod holder brackets and their inserts modified to come apart with wing nuts. This leaves the area under the rack free of angular supports so that the cooler can be placed on the floor under the rack, and the rack then used as a table or bait prep board, etc. (I also store a folding arm chair and swim ladder under there.)

The back of the rack is supported with 1" stainless tube and cockpit rail fittings equipped with quick disconnect Ball-Loc Pins. There are eyelets fore and aft near the corners of the board for bungee straps to tie down the cooler. The rack is carpeted with indoor/outdoor carpet for grip and noise control.

I'll have to get some pictures the next time I'm up at the lake.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
breausaw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: a 180??? Reply with quote

Wandering Sagebrush wrote:
Jay,

I like it! I was thinking of doing something similar, but in wood, on the inside and using legs for support.

Do you think you could flip it around 180 degrees so the cantilevered portion is over the cockpit???? My the back panel on the camperback would not allow me to set things up like you have. I wonder if there is enough surface area on the forward edge of the splash well to support the weight.....

Steve. [/list]

Hi Steve,
Reversing the rack may work if the fit was perfectly tight. You could take a couple of spare pieces of lumber and do a mock up; that way you’re not wasting your time. Wood is more ecstatically pleasing, but the composite decking will probable outlast the boat and is easily cleaned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: