The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Garhauer Davit setup questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamer wrote:
Pit-Pins

What are these? Where can I get them?

EQ mounted my davit outside the cockpit, on the Armstrong Bracket, about halfway from centerline to edge. They installed a SS bar from the swim step grab bars to the railing, and on that bar they attached the collar. Will post photos too.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,

Here's a photo of some Pit-Pins. You can see the metal balls near the tapered end. They extend out just far enough to prevent the pin from being removed from a hole that's just barely larger than the pin shank. When the button on the handle end is pushed in, the balls retract and the pin can be removed.

They're used primarily in military and aircraft applications. They're hard to find. Surplus stores may have some.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
GOYO

City/Region: Bonney Lake
Photos: GOYO
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren and Dr. Bob
The support bracket I used is listed on the Garhauer website under radar tower accessories. It is the last item listed.
Steve

Seaboldski

City/Region: Idaho Panhandle
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Stray Cat
Photos: Seaboldski
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,

For those pins, try: http://www.mcmaster.com/

Search for: Push-Button Quick-Release Pins

Note that most of the pins shown are available in stainless.

In fact McMaster-Carr is a good source for all sorts of generic stuff applicable to working on a C-Dory. When you see the index, you'll know what I mean.

Steve
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ball-Lok Quick Release Pins are available in stainless steel for marine applications, and often used on sailboats. They're pretty expensive. If you can find a military surplus type of store, they often have non-stainless ones for a lot less.

The best kind have a raised guard around the release button to guard against accidental release. This surrounding guard has a hole drilled along one edge of it to attach a seizing line so as to securely attach the pin somewhere near where it's used so that the pin doesn't become lost.

Ball-Lok- Quick Release Pins Note correct spelling is not "Lock".

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamer wrote:
Here's a photo of some Pit-Pins. You can see the metal balls near the tapered end. They extend out just far enough to prevent the pin from being removed from a hole that's just barely larger than the pin shank. When the button on the handle end is pushed in, the balls retract and the pin can be removed.

So the advantage of this is that you only have one piece of hardware to deal with rather than two (bolt and nut)?

Warren
Seaboldski

City/Region: Idaho Panhandle
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Stray Cat
Photos: Seaboldski
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So the advantage of this is that you only have one piece of hardware to deal with rather than two (bolt and nut)?

Yes, no tools required, no small pieces to fumble with, and the pin can be attached with a tether (light cable) so it doesn't get dropped or lost.
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this thread and wanted to bring it back up to ask a question.

I am getting a lifting davit for my CD22 to lift the kicker from the transom to the dinghy.

The question: What do you think of mounting the ball foot for the davit on one of the factory cockpit floorboards?

It seems to me that the force applied to the ball foot and the floorboard would try to push the floorboard into the cabin bulkhead or try to lift the opposite end of the floorboard. With the support collar I don't think it could move or lift the floorboard much. I don't expect to be lifting more than about 60 lbs but if I needed to haul in a large person aboard I would not want it cause some unexpected problem.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Steve
Westfield 11

City/Region: Woodland Hills
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamer wrote:
[color=darkred][size=18]Warren,

Here's a photo of some Pit-Pins.]
I believe that these are called Pip-Pins, not Pit-Pins
Not a C-Dory owner but a lover of the forum and the spirit of adventure found here. This is the best small boat cruising resource I have found to date. The travelogues are very inspirational and a great reminder of why we go down to the sea in ships (or small boats).
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaSpray wrote:
I found this thread and wanted to bring it back up to ask a question.

I am getting a lifting davit for my CD22 to lift the kicker from the transom to the dinghy.

The question: What do you think of mounting the ball foot for the davit on one of the factory cockpit floorboards?

It seems to me that the force applied to the ball foot and the floorboard would try to push the floorboard into the cabin bulkhead or try to lift the opposite end of the floorboard. With the support collar I don't think it could move or lift the floorboard much. I don't expect to be lifting more than about 60 lbs but if I needed to haul in a large person aboard I would not want it cause some unexpected problem.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve:

If you go to my Swee Pea album you will see that is exactly what I did. I mounted the "foot" ball on the factory floorboards, one on the port and one on the starboard side. There are pictures in my album. Works great. I am thinking of getting another mount and ball and putting a third mount in the motor well, to get closer to the kicker motor. I will have to cut a "wedge" to allow the ball to mount horizontal. A project for the future.

John
Swee Pea
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Answer and pictures within minutes!

I have been looking at your pictures for mounting the motor bracket but did not look at the next page where you mounted the Davit.

I thought the davit should work okay with the mount on the floorboard but was not 100% positive. My set up will be very similar to yours.

Thanks,
Steve
mcc272

City/Region: Long Island Sound
State or Province: CT
Vessel Name: C-Star
Photos: C-Star
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John (of Swee Pee) --

You have the Garhauer davit mounted on the floor boards and mention the possibility of cutting a wedge and adding another mount in the motor well. If you were only going to have a single mount to move a dinghy engine from the dinghy onto a transom mount on the C-Dory, would you prefer it on the floor boards or in the motor well. Your thoughts please.

Jim

North Star, 2011 Rosborough RF-246
Swee Pea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking about this for a while. With the davit mounted in the port and starboard corner of the boat, on the floorboards, it is the perfect place structurally and the easiest install. However, the arm of the davit does not reach directly over the kicker. Should not be too big of a problem - I don't think. I haven't used it yet to lift the kicker. I have always put the motor on the mount in the driveway. Laughing

If I had my druthers and the sole purpose of mounting the davit was to lift the kicker motor, the ideal place would be the motor well - directly over the kicker. Just my opinion.

I have been looking to mount a third ball/and collar in the motor well so the davit pully is located directly over the kicker. The only problem is that in order to bolt through the motor well in the location I want, the gas tank is in the way (for the ball mount) - there is no room for a wedge to level the ball mount in the sloping motorwell. I thought about mounting the ball without a wedge whereby the davit would be leaning over towards the stern at a slight angle. Again, the gas tank is in the way. I do not believe that there is enough clearance for the backing plate and a nut between the gas tank and the bottom of the motorwell.

I am going to look and think some more. I possibly could have a bracket made to mount the ball onto then mount the bracket onto the boat inside the motor well. I don't know if it is worth the trouble.

Sometimes the obvious solution is in the mind of another. Wink Take a look and see what you come up with. Maybe the solution is so simple that I didn't think of it. Let me know.

John
Swee Pea
mcc272

City/Region: Long Island Sound
State or Province: CT
Vessel Name: C-Star
Photos: C-Star
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John --

Thanks for the fast response. The tank was giving me issues as well with a motor well mount. My thought was to put the base as close as possible to the vertical side of the motor well which is the starboard lazarette and a bit aft in the motor well. I have been thinking about epoxying a piece of 3/4" plywood to the motor well on the upper side and filling the gap between the plywood and the vertical side with thickened epoxy. Then, epoxying the wedge to the plywood base and setting the davit base on the wedge by drilling oversized holes in it, filling them with thickened epoxy and dropping machine screws into the epoxy before it sets. I have installed cleats in this manner (machine screws into thickened epoxy in oversized holes) on another boat and it worked well. My thought is that I have never feared to stand on the motor well and I am 200 pounds. Therefore, if the davit has something on top of the motor well to spread the load a bit, it should be able to take the less than 100 pounds I will be lifting with it. The one concern I had was that the upper ring bracket support for the davit is not very high at about half the distance above the base that it would be with a mount on the floor boards.

What had me thinking about the motor well mount was the length, even of the longer arm, and the inability to have the end of the arm over the motor to set it on the bracket. The counter is that with the davit taking most of the load, it should be relatively easy to pull the motor out (aft) so it will land properly on the motor bracket.

So, like you, still puzzling! Thanks again.

Jim
Swee Pea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcc272 wrote:
John --
My thought was to put the base as close as possible to the vertical side of he motor well which is the starboard lazarette and a bit aft in the motor well. I have been thinking about epoxying a piece of 3/4" plywood to the motor well on the upper side and filling the gap between the plywood and the vertical side with thickened epoxy. Then, epoxying the wedge to the plywood base and setting the davit base on the wedge by drilling oversized holes in it, filling them with thickened epoxy and dropping machine screws into the epoxy before it sets. I have installed cleats in this manner (machine screws into thickened epoxy in oversized holes) on another boat and it worked well. My thought is that I have never feared to stand on the motor well and I am 200 pounds. Therefore, if the davit has something on top of the motor well to spread the load a bit, it should be able to take the less than 100 pounds I will be lifting with it. The one concern I had was that the upper ring bracket support for the davit is not very high at about half the distance above the base that it would be with a mount on the floor boards.

What had me thinking about the motor well mount was the length, even of the longer arm, and the inability to have the end of the arm over the motor to set it on the bracket. The counter is that with the davit taking most of the load, it should be relatively easy to pull the motor out (aft) so it will land properly on the motor bracket.

So, like you, still puzzling! Thanks again.

Jim

Well, I finally got off my duff and had a bracket made for the Garhauer Davit. Indeed, mounting the foot "ball" in the motor well was not an option for me. There is not enough room to mount a backing plate and nut. I do not want to remove the gas tank to try. If you go to my Swee Pea photo album, page 6, you will see the bracket that I had made.

The bracket was made out of 1/4" stainless steel, bent at 90 degrees, and two gussets welded for additional strength. Holes were drilled for mounting on the starboard lazarette (with a stainless steel backer plate). Dr. Bob used a different design, but the idea is the same. I will be mounting the bracket in a true L so that I can get the foot "ball" in the lowest position in the motor well, mounting the top ring of the Davit support as high as I can.

A funny story about the bracket. I went to the Fredericksburg Machine shop to have it made after I made a cardboard mock up. Their phone quote went from $50 for the bracket to $100 in person. I said no thanks. I went to a place called City Welding, also in Fredericksburg, who custom made (did not use angle iron) the stainless steel bracket for $20, including material and labor. I had to drill the holes. What a pain! I need new drill bits!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it will work out. I will post pictures in my album when I get around to mounting it.

John
Swee Pea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: