The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Garhauer Davit setup questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Garhauer Davit setup questions Reply with quote

This is primarily for Bob but if anyone else has a Garhauer Davit please jump in!

Here is a photo of my Davit after the mount was rigged on my boat (obviously it is off the boat for the photo):

When I looked at the Davit in the Thataway album, I could not tell if Bob's had the block on the standard of the Davit or not. But it seems to me that it is on the wrong side of the standard. That way the line would go through the lifting block and tackle, over the arm, through the cam cleat and down the outside of the standard. If that is the case, then how would one utilize that one-pulley block because in order to release the line from the cam cleat you would have to yank it out of the cams -- which you could not do if it were threaded through the small block.

Another question relates to the bracket that supports the arm. It is held in place by a bolt and nut, which seems like an invitation to lose a piece overboard. Have you replaced that bolt and nut with a wing not or something similar?

Thanks,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,
I also have a version of the Garhauer davit like yours--not sure if it is the longer arm which has this--or if all come this way now. Anyway, the davit can be utalized two ways. One is the way which you have rigged (mine has a jam cleat also just below the turning block on the support) and the second way, is the way it is rigged in my photos, where the line comes back thru the arm to the jam cleat on the top of the arm.

I carry a spare nut, but in using Garhauer davits for about 5 years, I have yet to loose one of the nuts or bolts.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Doryman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through a mixup with Garhauer I ended up with both arms. I think I will rig it like yours so I can use the cam cleat.

Warren
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Garhauer Davit setup questions Reply with quote

I wondered how much weight can one of those davits handle. Secondly not that it's really any of my business but what do you use them for? I could only think of putting a motor on the dingy. As long as I am asking stupid questions what's a gypsy; in relation to a windless and anchoring. I know about the ones usually seen wearing baggy shirts and bandannas. The dictionary was not much help I googled it and you can't imagine. I really didn't want to ask this but I've owned five boats and never knew what the term was actually referring to.

Newbe wanta be in wonderland,

D.D.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gypsy is the cogged wheel around which the rode is played out or in. Gypsies are a little persnickity about the size and type of rope or chain and there is a springloaded arm called (I think) the fleming that acts to hold the rope/chain onto the gypsy.
GOYO

City/Region: Bonney Lake
Photos: GOYO
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently installed a garhauer lifting davit on my CD25. I mounted it on the port gunnel at the back edge of the cabin. I plan to use it for launching and retrieving the dinghy from the roof. Also, with the addition of an open faced pulley, to retrieve crab pots. After installation my son and I tested it by lifting him off the ground. He weighs about 200lbs. I did add the support bracket, also sold by garhauer, to give extra support. I really like the idea that it is removable and compact when disassembled. I replaced the nut and bolt that secure the arm support to the upright with a lock pin from the local tractor dealer. That allowed me to tether the lock pin to the arm support. I think it will be a great addition to the safety and convienance of using the dinghy.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a little confusion about the use of Gypsy, Wildcat, and Chain wheel--they are basically all the same thing. Gypsy is used in Europe more. It has become more common to call the combination chainwheel/rope wheel a Gypsy. A chain wheel is specific.

A warping drum is the capstan head or drum which takes rope only, and has no chain indentations.

We lift outboard motors from the kicker bracket to the dinghy, lift the dinghy off the boat and onto the dock, we lift the generator from the box in the cockpit to the motor bracket or spash well mounting (bad backs), we even use it to lift ice boxes aboard. We also use it to haul the dinghy aboard and stow it. Although the Garhauer davit is not designed for lifting people, in an emergency we would use it to get a person aboard.

All of this happens because one gets old--but maybe the back problems could be prevented by using hoists when we are younger!
Doryman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Garhauer Davit setup questions Reply with quote

dave deem wrote:
Secondly not that it's really any of my business but what do you use them for? I could only think of putting a motor on the dingy.

Yes, for for mounting the motor on the dinghy, and also as an experiment I have set up the swim ladder bracket as a motor bracket so I can put the 3.5 hp Tohatsu on the bracket and troll ultra-slow. It may not work, but it was worth a try, I thought. So I will use the davit to swing the motor into position for that as well.

I'm also going to use it for moving my generator from the cockpit to the swim step if I feel I need the help. (I don't have a bad back like Bob but leaning out over the water with a 40# outboard and no support doesn't seem too smart to me.)

Warren
Doryman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOYO wrote:
I plan to use it for launching and retrieving the dinghy from the roof.

That was my original idea but when I had the boat at EQ they could not figure out a way to make it work with my TC255 even with Bob's photos as a guide (maybe because I have a radar arch with rocket launchers aft on the cabin top). Les is going to install a custom davit for the dinghy that he is having built for his Rosboroughs.

GOYO wrote:
II did add the support bracket, also sold by garhauer, to give extra support.

I am not familiar with that support bracket. Are you talking about the collar that the standard slides into?

GOYO wrote:
II replaced the nut and bolt that secure the arm support to the upright with a lock pin from the local tractor dealer. That allowed me to tether the lock pin to the arm support. I think it will be a great addition to the safety and convienance of using the dinghy.

Good idea -- I will likely do the same.

Warren
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,

Glad you clarified why you need the custom davit. I automatically thought it was for hauling in those Salmon derby winners Laughing

Merv

GOYO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,
To describe the additional support, it is a 10inch piece of 1 inch SS tubing with a clamp bracket welded to one end. After cutting to length there is a sleeve that goes on the support pipe. Where mine is mounted on the port gunnel at the back of the cabin I was able to clamp the support to the port grab handle on the back of the cabin. The locking pin from the tractor dealer is a straight pin with a C shaped spring locking clip.
The locking clip looks like a heavy wire. The locking clip will, when sized
correctly, wrap around the upright support and secure the pin. Hope this is better explanation
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that GOYO is describing a "stand off" --which allows the aluminum 2" sleeve to be clamped to a remote railing or stenchion post. I just bolt my sleeves to the fiberglass , after flattening the "U" which goes around the railings.

GOYO do you mount the ball on the top of the gunnel--and if so, does it interfere with walking on the deck or going into the cockpit? Do you have photos (Album?)

I will be drivng by the factory in a week, and was thinking of getting an extension for the davit made, to make it taller--That is one of the reasons for the mount on the side of the cabin--to put the top up high enough to bring the dinghy up there.
Doryman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I think that GOYO is describing a "stand off" --which allows the aluminum 2" sleeve to be clamped to a remote railing or stenchion post.

That is how EQ set up mine. Easier to show in a photo. I need to document all the refit mods I had done for the photo album. Will do that soon.

Warren
GOYO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bob
On Garhauers website they show the lifting davit in 2 different places, with slightly different descriptions. One of the descriptions has the additional support bracket as an option. It is all stainless tubing and clamps. It is designed to be cut to length for the application. I believe it is designed to attach to a rail for added upright support. I mounted the ball on the port gunnel on top of the raised area at the back edge of the cabin. While it is on the walkway, that area being raised is not a place where I would step as there is no antiskid on it. It puts the upright for the lifting davit parallel to the back wall of the cabin. I will try to get some pictures of the install posted.
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,

Thanks for starting this thread. It has inspired me to drag my Garhauer lift out of storage and install it on the TC. We used it for lifting a 115# outboard onto a dinghy 2 boats ago. The line on mine travels down the top of the extension arm and through the cam cleat.

Today I drilled the holes out to 1/2" and reassembled it using Pit-Pins. I figure it will knock down easily that way and store in a bag about the size used for a folding chair. I have had to wrestle an exhausted diver aboard and wish I had the lift installed then. Not sure yet where I'll mount it but will post again when it's complete.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: