City/Region: Huntsville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C Eagle
Photos: C Eagle
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,
After I changed to 8 plait and tightened the loose finger, I still saw the rope jump off occasionally only during retrieval. By walking the rope back and forth through the gypsy, I determined that this problem seemed to be caused by the shallow rope locker depth. The shallow locker causes the rope to enter the gypsy from such acute angles that it can get to the side of the finger from underneath if the rope has enough stiffness. My objective was to add guides to constrain the entry point of the rope to the gypsy while still allowing the rope to flake freely into the locker during retrieve. Another design constraint is that the guides cannot interfere with rope / chain splice joint.

This link: http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album749&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
shows the rope actually jumping and the guides that I added a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to thoroughly test under all conditions and will not say that all is perfect yet. It does seem to work well as I launch and retrieve the rope by hand but more testing is needed.

When perfected, this fix may help several brats with this windlass.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
RichardW

City/Region: Huntsville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C Eagle
Photos: C Eagle
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE to the Lewmar Pro Fish 700 WINDLASS MODS:
After several weeks of using the windlass with the two lexan guides installed, I can report that, thus far, the rope has not jumped off of the gypsy on either the launch or the retrieve. This has made anchoring a lot more enjoyable. Here is the link to the modifications made to the windlass for those who may be experiencing this problem:
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album749&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

I also replaced the 3 plait Lewmar rope with an 8 plait version but I would try the mod with 3 plait first; the 8 plait may not be necessary with the guides installed.

Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: