The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

22' come with 2 batteries?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is difficult to get the "static balance" of the boats perfect--because of differing amounts of fuel, water, gear an persons.

The Optima batteries will work fine in your application--and probably are a good choice. What I do see is that people occasionally buy too small a battery for house banks. The C Dory has modest demands, and a couple of group 24's (unles you have refigeration and want to stay at anchor for several days) is fine.

Although it is recommended to not mix sizes, ages and types of batteries, at times it becomes the logical way to go considering wiring and economics.

The checking the battery voltage, as you do, and never discharging more than 50% (12.2 volts resting) wi Comll prolong the life. There are mixed results with Optima batteries. If you read "The Hull Truth" there are a number of problems which are reported. However, one rarely finds out how well the battery was maintained (not too deeply discharged, not allowed to sit discharged, fully charged etc).

Also remember that numbers like "group 24 or 30" are case size. In that case size there are different capacities--and that often relates directly to the weight of the battery. For example, the largest blue top, dual battery by Optima D 35, weight is 43.5 lbs, it has cranking amps of 875 and Capacity of 55 amp hours. Compare to the Group 31 AGM battery which weighs 70 lbs, has cranking amps of 1000, Capacity of 105 amp hours.

If you are using the charging for gel batteries, rather than AGM batteries, it is possiable that you are under charging the battery. (The reason I put down the specifics for the gel cell vs the AGM battery). Unfortunately the language used causes confusion. The voltages for an Optima are the same as an AGM battery, and can be used on standard outboards and cars, where as the gel cell battery cannot be safely charged at over 14 to 14.1 volts. Check the voltage as the battery is being charged.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Capital Sea

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Capital Sea
Photos: Capital Sea
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From everything you said, I am 90% sure my system is set up right but will look back into things.

Save our Sound!
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boat came with one cranking batteries in the starboard lazerette.
I’m installing an additional deep-cycle along with a Perko duel battery switch. Total for this upgrade is about 80 bucks and change. It took some doing but you can fit two batteries in the starboard lazerette.
I’ve not tested this set up but am confident it will work fine. Start the engine or engines and run until the cranking battery is charged-about 10 minuets-then switch over to the house battery. I also will be installing a duel battery energy gauge in the dash so I can monitor the charge capacity of each battery.
For my money the deep cycle marine batteries at Costo are a great value, about $55.
Also, dedicate the Wallis to one battery, preferable the house, and additionally if your boat is moored I’d dedicate the bilge pump to a battery also most likely the house.
You can spend a lot of money installing sophisticated electronics to take the guess work out on managing your charging system, but for my money my brain is far more sophisticated.
Another redundancy I’d consider is installing an additional bulge pump independently set at auto and placed a couple of inches above the default bulge pump. That way the backup will not engage unless the default has failed.
A lot of stuff to consider…..

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a group 24 starting battery in my starboard lazarrette along with the 1,2,both,off selector switch. In the port lazarrette I have two group 24's paralled for the house batteries. This works out pretty good the batterries are a tight fit in the port lazarrette but once in place there is a little storage left. With this arrangement a full water tank, full gas tanks and me sitting at the helm (I'm 170 lbs) the boat lists slightly to port (I don't have a kicker). I've tried to compensate by storing my heavy items on the starboard side. I like this setup. Only thing I would change is when time to replace my batteries I'll go with the AGM's simply because they are maintenance free.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, and you may have already resolved this issue, so it is mentioned for others, the dual battery switch has to be "make before break"--and not all of the switches are of this design. Basically this means that a battery is always connected to the alternator output. If you have no output and still have field current, the diodes will blow on the alternator, and that repair can exceed the cost of a VSR. I used the simple switch for over 40 years and nothing wrong with it, as long as you use precautions. But the vSR saves stopping the boat, going aft, and switching the battery. Another way of doing this is to start the engine on "all" (with electronics off) and when you stop the engine, switch to the house battery only. This preserves the start battery if you run down the house battery during a night at anchor.
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Jay, and you may have already resolved this issue, so it is mentioned for others, the dual battery switch has to be "make before break"--and not all of the switches are of this design. Basically this means that a battery is always connected to the alternator output. If you have no output and still have field current, the diodes will blow on the alternator, and that repair can exceed the cost of a VSR. I used the simple switch for over 40 years and nothing wrong with it, as long as you use precautions. But the vSR saves stopping the boat, going aft, and switching the battery. Another way of doing this is to start the engine on "all" (with electronics off) and when you stop the engine, switch to the house battery only. This preserves the start battery if you run down the house battery during a night at anchor.

The Perko Duel battery switch allows you to switch from 1 battery to the other or select both without stopping the motor, its switching to off while the motor is running will damage your alternator. When you switch batteries you have to go through all, so there is no interruption in the circuit. I made the modification today and tested it with motor running, no problems.
The plan is to start engine with battery 1, recharge battery in transit-say 20 minuets or so, have first mate take the wheel while I go back and switch over to battery 2; Battery 1 will remain fully charged and ready.
When the boat is parked I have Battery Tenders with quick disconnect attached to each battery, this way the batteries will always maintain a full charge when not in use.
Capital Sea

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Capital Sea
Photos: Capital Sea
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The switch I have does that automatically but can also be overridden manually. My understanding is that this product is new and was created for the situation we are talking about. So far it is doing the trick, but to each his own. More than one way to go for sure.
cbgale

City/Region: Calumet
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: Raton
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 22 cruiser with twin engines, and two batteries. The port battery starts the port engine, and has a bilge pump wired to it. The Starboard battery starts the starboard engine, and also has all house functions on it and a bilge pump. I have a seperate panel for electronics, and am careful to not have any on while starting. I also have the Wallas stove on the starboard battery. I have not had any problems with this setup, and would like to not add the weight of an additional dedicated house battery. The Wallas works fine. I have a set of cables for starting should one battery not have sufficient power. When on an extended cruise, I take a backup battery, but on a day to day basis I don't want the extra weight. For me, the simplicity of this setup works fine. Can I use a single battery only for starting both engines, and use the other battery as a house battery? I saw a previous discussion of this, but it was not clear to me that this could be done. How would this be wired to charge the house battery?
cemiii

City/Region: Alamo
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: The Last One........ III
Photos: The Last One, III
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/dualBattery.html

some alternatives
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: