The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

22' come with 2 batteries?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaseCampAnne

City/Region: San Diego/Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA COASTER
Photos: SEA COASTER
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: 22' come with 2 batteries? Reply with quote

I believe I read on someone's post that our boats come with 2 installed batteries from the factory. Can anyone verify that?

Thanks,
Anne
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Dealer installed item. Comes from the factory IF you were fortunate to have bought one factory direct like a few Brats here did. You choose type and number of batteries, you choose where to install them. Mine came with two AGM batteries in the starboard lazarette installed by the local dealer.

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp

Last edited by Sneaks on Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Multiple Batteries Reply with quote

Anne,

Typically that is an option that you specify when your dealer rigs the boat. Here's my 2 cents worth on the location of the second battery. Have the dealer put it in the port side lazarette rather than in the starboard. That balances out the weight better. Especially true if you have a kicker on the starboard side.

Steve
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one in each lazzarette and one on the floor between the fuel tanks. Dealer installed, except I added the one in the middle to double my house capacitiy. Works well.
BaseCampAnne

City/Region: San Diego/Anacortes
Vessel Name: SEA COASTER
Photos: SEA COASTER
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: batteries Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I know I asked for two batteries and have only one. Next time around I will have a paper trail for everything Embarassed
My current battery is stored in a plastic battery box on the floor by the pump. The power switch is located in the starboard lazarette. I do not know what all will be involved in getting the second battery, but can hear the cha-chings adding up now Rolling Eyes Very Happy
Thanks again, Anne
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne,

We added a second battery after taking delivery. Since we didn't have a battery charger installed, it made me nervous to rely on only one battery. Both of ours is installed in the starboard lazerette and it's really jammed in there tight plus the battery switch is in there.

It would be nice as others suggested to put a battery in each lazerette. Just be sure that the port lazerette is water-tight, I think ours is kinda wet.

Good luck!

Peter
Capital Sea

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Capital Sea
Photos: Capital Sea
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with Gelcells so my house battery could be installed under the stove and I could retain the dry storage in the cockpit or use the space to keep crabs on ice. This required a new switch and a dipswitch change on my charger. This brings the power a bit closer to the toys as well. Weight distribution is an issue but only when the boat is a rest in the water and not to a great extent.

Save our Sound!
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzmanic wrote:
It would be nice as others suggested to put a battery in each lazerette. Just be sure that the port lazerette is water-tight, I think ours is kinda wet.

Another option, is between the tanks. Keeping them here, keeps the weight low and centered, and frees up the lazarettes for other uses.

I was digging through some old pics, and found the images below I took of my old 19 Angler setup. This worked really well for me - it's a Blue Sea battery box, with just enough room for two Optimas. I bolted a waterproof charger to the side, then wired it to a power outlet - also installed in the side of the box.

Made for a very compact setup, and to charge the batteries, I'd simply pull an extension cord into the cockpit. It didn't extend into the cockpit, and there was enough room to the side once installed to get at the drain plug.

flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzmanic wrote:

I think the reason the port lazarette collects moisture is because it can't breath. I wouldn't try and make it water tight. I actually took a 2" whole saw just under the port gunnel and put a 2" hole in the port lazarette so it could breath and stay dry. Sounds kinda backwards but it works. The starboard lazarette already has holes so water build up is not a problem.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capital Sea, I hope that you mean that you put in AGM batteries , not Gel batteries. The reason is that the Gel batteries will not tolerate battery voltages over 14 to 14.1 volts, and most of our outboards put out 14.4 to 14.5 volts. The higher voltage is OK for AGM batteries, but not Gel Batteries.

I was aboard a brand new 22 today, and it came from the factory with the single battery in the Starboard Lazarette.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ppriest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Batteries arrangement Reply with quote

Les installed the batteries and controls in the J.C.Lately and the installation has, with one exception, proven quite workable.
The Engine Start battery is in the Port lazarette (Interstate DCS-100 sealed AGM) and the House battery (Optima SC34DM gel-cel) is in the Starboard lazarette together with a modular array of individual battery master switches, a parallel emergency switch (which allows for starting the engine off the house battery) and a voltage sensitive relay. Also present in the starboard laz is a 50A thermal overload relay for all the house loads and the common buss for all the negative connections.
And all this stuff goes to operate and manage the electrical supply system for a single-motor boat.

If this doesn't make much sense I would heartily recommend that you arrange for the services of a competent marine electrical system mechanic (ask around) since what you're creating is an electrical source management system for a vessel with two alternate (presumably) engines, electronics, lights and potentially other assorted loads.

Paul Priest
Sequim
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boats [22s]come with a single group 24 battery wiring setup in the starboard aft box.They do currently use a Blue Sea Systems switch [ good stuff] but if you want big amp hours you must do additional wiring for a second bank then decide if you want to start from scratch , get as technical as you like or just add a second battery and change the 1 bank to a 2 bank switch. The electrical system is something that can be done in many ways from simple start/house setup on a simple 1-2-both switch to interconnected ,highly monitored systems.It is good to consider your real needs before going wild on a complex setup if you are just overnighting or day cruising .
Marc

cemiii

City/Region: Alamo
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: The Last One........ III
Photos: The Last One, III
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my 22 angler i run 4 batteries. 2 large lead acids in the lazarettes on a switch. i also have 2 big optima gels in the cabin under the pilot seat that run a 1000w inverter(small microwave, blender, and 110 flouescent lighting, plus 4 12v plug ins).

the optimas are not connected to the engine system but theoretically could still be used to jump the mains in a pinch. the optimas are connected to each other in parallel (effectively just one third bigger 12v battery). i then have a 3x15A automatic (trickle)charger connected to an extention cord i can reach from the ground in the gunnel. simply plug it in while in storage and the whole system tops off great.......and believe it or not the thing still floats.

chris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For clarification. Optima batteries are Absorbed Gel Mat (AGM) batteries)--which have different characteristics than Gel batteries.--see my post above.

Gel Cells" contain acid that has been "gelled" by the addition of Silica Gel, turning the acid into a solid mass that looks like gooey Jell-O. The advantage of these batteries is that it is impossible to spill acid even if they are broken. However, there are several disadvantages. One is that they must be charged at a slower rate (C/20) to prevent excess gas from damaging the cells. They cannot be fast charged on a conventional automotive charger or they may be permanently damaged. Some other disadvantages of gel cells is that they must be charged at a lower voltage (2/10th's less) than flooded or AGM batteries. If overcharged, voids can develop in the gel which will never heal, causing a loss in battery capacity.

The AGM batteries, have all of the advantages of a Gel cell, but none of the disadvantages. They can be charged at the same voltage, and a slightly higher current than flooded lead acid batteries. The AGM battery has the electrolyte in a 95% saturated very fine fiber Boron-Silicate glass mat tightly packed around the lead plates. The Optima batteries are slightly different than some other AGM, in that they use a spiral windind of plates and mat. But remember that any battery will have a capacity roughly proportinate to its weight (the amount of lead). Generally the Optima batteries are lighter, and thus have less capacity. I carefully investigated them, and have revisited the subject--with the conclusion that flooded lead acid give the best for the $$ and AGM are best in situations where you have to put the battery on its side or end, and inside of a cabin. The AGM will take the most abuse.
Capital Sea

City/Region: Olympia
Vessel Name: Capital Sea
Photos: Capital Sea
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify/correct what I posted (thanks Thataway my intention was to help) both of my batteries are Optima Marine duel purpose and the charging is managed by a VSR voltage sensitive relay module (100amp).
The issues encountered in adding this 2nd battery inside and wanting to reserve the 2nd lazerette involved the need for both batteries to be of the same ilk even if of differing sizes and the need to not introduce gasses into the cabin. My primary power and under way charging is via a Honda 90.
We (Lake union searay and I) looked into the cranking needs and computability and the advise I got was that this system was fine both in terms of cranking needs (on the low end of fine though) and in terms of charging and volts. If the information I was given was bad, I remain interested in any good advice as my goal was to have a long lasting system that would never leave me wanting a jump or a charge.
I also installed a good quality charger under the counter as part of my 15amp shore power (design acquired here) and switched the dipswitch for gel batteries as instructed. On the dash I have a voltage gauge and a toggle switch which allows me to check the house battery by depressing it (the default position is for the cranking battery). Now I am only at 30 hours but I have yet to see any drop in charge.
If I had been starting from scratch I would have located the rear battery in the port lazerette for balance. This would have meant a near total rewiring in addition to mods to the lazerette. So I opted to accept the at rest tilt caused by the two batteries and the 9.9 all being on the starboard side. As it's still winter I have never filled the water tank and I expect that this will help a little.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: