View previous topic :: View next topic  
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Kenyon Butane Stoves Reply with quote

While doing some research concerning my factory installed Kenyon butane stove I came across this recall on some Kenyon portable stoves http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml01/01198.html It occured to me that some may be using these for a second or back up stove. The reason for my research is I think mine may be leaking but haven't confirmed if it is or isn't. It seems to be using a lot more fuel than it should so I suspect the bottle may be leaking slightly when not in use. In the mean time I'll be taking the bottle out between use's and storing it in the cockpit with my propane bottles. I really like the stove but I'm wondering if anyone else has had problems with them?
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marvin,

We have a portable butane stove that we've used on various boats. Probably from that vintage. We're away from the boat right now, but as soon as we get home, I'll check the stove to see what brand it is (we bought it at Cabela's). Thanks for the heads up.

As far as the usage, we like the stove. Haven't noticed any problem with fuel being used too rapidly. For something quick, like coffee in the morning (especially when it's warm out), we prefer it over the Wallas.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is any question about seals leaking, do not use the stove. A very close friend had a cannister type (different brand) stove leak propane, and he almost died when the leaking propane ignited: (33% 3rd degree burns, lung damage, in a coma 6 weeks and dialysis for 8 weeks). This is one of the reasons I am very concerned about cannister type of stoves below decks. It doesn't happen often, but once is enough!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a butane stove of that type I bought in Sidney when my wallas died. I know it is not a Kennyon. I have seen these stoves for as little as $15 new at a flea market.

I was under the impression that these were safer than propane because the butane is lighter than air and does not collect. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Steve
marvin4239

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up Bob. I really don't think it is leaking. What made me think that was it seemed to use more fuel than I thought it should. When I stumbled across that recall it got me to thinking. I'm going to take a close look at it tomorrow. One of my neighbors is a safety man at a powerhouse here. I'm going to see if he has access to a sniffer to check it. On a related note I removed a propane canister from my grill a couple weeks ago to store the grill and the canister didn't shut off. I was anchored out and didn't quite know what to do with this potential bomb in my hand so I put it in the landing net and dropped it over board and held it under til it ran dry.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seabran wrote:

I was under the impression that these were safer than propane because the butane is lighter than air and does not collect. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Steve

Steve-

Butane and propane are both heavier than air and will collect downward wherever gravity will take them.

They will also slowly diffuse into the air and gradually dissipate away if given time and no more leakage occurs to re-supply the already leaked gas.

In the meantime, they are extremely flammable to any spark or ignition source.

In higher (largely unmixed with air) concentrations, they will ignite into a fireball.

If the mixture with air (oxygen, really) is more thorough and in the right proportions, it will explode with a violent shock wave! If I remember correctly, the mixture tries to expand 300+ times in volume as it explodes!

Butane is slightly heavier than propane, but the difference is negligible for the purposes of this discussion. In bulk refill applications for refillable tanks and in home heating applications, they are frequently mixed together to avoid having the gas freeze in winter outdoor storage, to adjust the heat content of the gas mixture, and use up the supplies available.

Chemically, propane is C3H8, and butane is C4H10, both pure hydrocarbon fuels.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Kenyon Propane Stove Reply with quote

You can check for gas leaks much the same way you would a tire. Use soapy water. Bubbles are troubles.
DD
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the checking for leaks, but when the seals fail it is a catastrophic failure, not just a leak before. The cannisters are inserted into the stove.

We do use the stove, but out of doors, where fuel cannot collect--good call on putting the cannister in the net!
jhwilson

City/Region: Mitchell County
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Placid C
Photos: Placid C
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is the conclusion? That in lieu of a diesel stove alcohol stoves are the safe way to go in the cabin?

Harper

K7MXE

City/Region: Eatonville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Lois H
Photos: Lois H
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Marine stove Reply with quote

I had the Kenyon that came with the Ranger 21 and although I understand
why the factory uses it I found it was not for me and removed it from the
boat. Its problem was the tanks froze and took several to get a pot of
coffee brewed and then they would sit there and leak till they were empty
took three canisters to cook coffee 7 times and the last two days I did not
have any thing warm. I tried creative ways after they were iced up to get
them to go again and failed but did not kill myself either. I bought a
Coleman single burner and fitted it in the hole in the counter top that the
Kenyon had been. It is vented overboard but remove it from the cabin
when its not in use. I do need to make something to hold pots in place
when the boats a rocking. Spilled soup is no fun eh!
Bob Heselberg Eatonville Wa
marvin4239

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Kenyon Propane Stove Reply with quote

dave deem wrote:
You can check for gas leaks much the same way you would a tire. Use soapy water. Bubbles are troubles.
DD

I thought of that but the place it would be leaking really isn't assessable. I took a good look at it today and couldn't really see anything that looked abnormal. The bottle goes down in a plastic barrel arrangement. Actually I got more use out of a bottle than I had thought. 4 meals plus heating water for coffee. We really used it a lot in a recent 12 day trip and went thru three bottles. I hate to think the stove may be defective or unsafe because it really works well. I've spoken to a few others who have had this type of stove in boats without problems but the recall does send up red flags. I'm going out of town for 12 days and my plan is to weigh a new canister put it in the stove and weigh it when I return.
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newer alcohol stoves (wick type--like Oringo) are safer than the older pressure alcohol stove, but they heat very poorly.

We used propane built in stoves for the vast majority of our boats. The tanks were external and vented overboard. The hoses were double walled, and routed thru PVC pipes to support them and avoid chafe. The tanks were always turned off with a selenoid valve at the tank, and there were two propane sniffers: one at the stove and one in the bottom of the bilge. There was an interlock that the propane could not be turned on if the alarm had gone off.

I still prefer Kerosene--but have had very good luck with our stoves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: