The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

16C Bilge Pump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boodalu

City/Region: Lake Ozark
State or Province: MO
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: BOODALU
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: 16C Bilge Pump Reply with quote

I am on the Lake of the Ozarks (lake oz) with my new 16 cruiser and having fun getting to know the boat and breaking in the 50hp Mercury bigfoot(its running like a honda so far). I noticed when I powered the bilge pump from the helm panel in doesnt run then kick off (there is no water in the boat except a "spit" in the pump indentation) as specified in the manual. I let in run for awhile (5 minutes or so) but turned it off as i was concerned i would harm the unit). Any thoughts?

The TomCat somes to Oz in a few weeks when the new dock gets put in. Still struggling with what kind a lift to use in the shallow water cove my house is on

PS: thanks to all who contribute to this site. You are making this newbie less of one every day.
Sarge

City/Region: Edmonds
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sea Badger
Photos: Gigi
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boodalu, you wrote:

Quote:
I noticed when I powered the bilge pump from the helm panel in doesnt run then kick off (there is no water in the boat except a "spit" in the pump indentation) as specified in the manual. I let in run for awhile (5 minutes or so) but turned it off as i was concerned i would harm the unit). Any thoughts?

Do you have the 'new' Rule 500 automatic bilge pump? The one that does not come with a float? Does the manual say it turns itself on and off every 2 1/2 minutes to check for water?

IF NOT, I'm no expert but it is my understanding that the helm switch is a manual over-ride of the automatic function of the bilge pump. There are times when you see some water in the bilge that you want to send overboard, yet it isn't enough to automatically turn on the bilge pump...those are the time (just one example) of when you'd want to manually turn on the pump. In that case you also have to manually turn it off.

If you want to test the automatic functionality of the bilge pump when safe to do so, pour some water into your bilge. At a point it should kick on automatically. You need not worry about turning batteries on, or switches, the bilge should be hot-wired to the battery and kick on automatically.

Anyone more knowledgeable than me, please add to my statement or provide a correction.

2001 2150 Bayliner, sold
2007 CD25, sold
2007 Harbercraft Kingfisher 2850, sold
2011 Stabicraft 2250SC, sold
2011 Eastern 18cc

Blog: http://theseabadger.wordpress.com

Last edited by Sarge on Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sarge

City/Region: Edmonds
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sea Badger
Photos: Gigi
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some interesting reading I found on the internet about bilge pumps:

http://www.powerboat-reports.com/sample/bilge.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: