The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Pre -purchase questions for 21-EC ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Boris,
I took a demo last year on one i think i remember hitting 11mph.
Gonna set one up before i plunk down payment $ ,I will also wait for a rough day, nice and windy if i can to get a feel for it. I really like the c-dorys but , i'm looking for the 21 tug, sorta have my heart set on it , i won't buy one if it only goes 6-7-8 mph.
Bunch of posts here about hull speed and miles per gallon , just hoping to get a simple question ans.?

Whats top speed?

Can she cruise at 10MPH for a while ? ( time will tell i hope)

Don't see whats so hard about that, can't think of a better place to ask .
thank you for your suggestions all the best john
Jim T

City/Region: Noblesville
State or Province: IN
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my tug at WOT, 3600 rpm, I can get 10.5 at best. Every boat has a "sweet spot" where everything seems to come together and operate smoothly. That is at 2400 rpm for me which is around 7 mph. However it does run pretty smooth at 3600 rpm as well. Just a little louder.
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim ,

You have the 30, i guess ? I'm at least happy to hear it can hit 10mph , the factory shouldn't claim 13mph. Most of the best places for me are like 40 to 60 miles away , and i try to get as many 2 - 3 day weekends in as i can & don't mind puttering around when i'm there.

But a 3-4 mph makes a big difference time wise getting there.
I don't care if that takes running wide open for a few hours it will be nice to hear from a few others what kind of speeds they make too. so far you and tugger seem to be pretty much the same, sure others will be too.

I figure a prop change might help a little , maybe someone has done some experimenting with that . I will try the factory also like suggested see what they say , cause if they see this , i'doubt they will stick to thier claims in this forum when owners are giving the real deal about speeds.

THANK -YOU we will have to wait and see for others owners to chime in .........john
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
Maybe hydrofoils, a gas turbine, and an Arneson Surface Drive on that Ranger 21?

Arneson Surface Drives

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Ha ha ha!

Contact this company (www.callanmarine.com) they will make the necessary modifications to your tug.

I actually followed one at headway speed down a channel in Boston. I don't think I have ever seen such powerful engines on a boat. The water displaced when they just put it in gear was unreal. It looked like the bat mobile on water with a fully closed canopy. I'm saving $10 a week to get one of their production models called the C-62 Wink

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUMMM.... Lets see 10 bucks a week......... Not bad in about 4 years you should be able to afford one of thoes CLEAVERS . Shocked Laughing Laughing
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want speed, stick a Jato pack on the back and light it off.

Seriously--the boat is what it is. If you want more speed, then buy a different boat. Putting an outboard in a well, in the center of the boat can be done, but I doubt that you will be happy with it. Same for two 20 hp outboards--that means you have two types of fuel, more weight etc.

If you keep the Tug 21 light in weight, then you will get more speed. Changing the prop will not give more speed, if boat has the correct prop--but it can cause more rapid wear on the engine. Running constantly at close to WOt speeds will also cause more engine wire.

There are other boats which have about the same facilities, or more--and will cruise at faster speeds and still have the character look. Plus being used, they will be less in cost.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
K7MXE

City/Region: Eatonville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Lois H
Photos: Lois H
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Props and the 21EC Reply with quote

Bob is right the boat is what it is and only goes so fast and not faster.
Changing the prop will produce lots of black smoke and mess up the
smog parts of the motor and the oil will get thin and wear the bearings
at a rapid pace. At higher rpms it will wear more. Put a stack on a CD22
and go as fast as you need to. The 21ec is a 5 to 7 kt boat and with the
right conditions and operator can go faster but likes that speed. When
there is a Trawlerfest in your area you may find something faster with
the same looks. Hungry boat dealers may even take you out for a spin.
Bob Heselberg Eatonville Wa
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What part of me saying i can deal with the speed don't you guys get . How many times am i giong to get the same lecture, The factory claims 12-13 mph 10 cruise . I just want to see if anyone can verify that.

We can argue the prop thing all day but disagree , pretty sure it could be propped a bit faster only talking 1 to 3 mph on the top.When i see one of you guys passing me at around 100+ I'll shut -up on that one.

I said it before and i'll say it again i own more than one yanmar & my smallest yanmar-3TNE74 , has almost 2 grand of abuse on it ,and runs WOT all the time , it lives on the pump limiter and luvs it. if it blows up tomorrow thats fine with me , but shows no sign of it.

thanks for the help , hpoe i still get more

john
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k7 , I know it might seem silly to want to buy a boat for the way it looks but i guess thats one of the main reasons i am.

Don't take it wrong but THERE IS a few c-dorys running around the bay here and i've paid attention to them last year because of this site , to be honset with you from a comfort piont of view ,the few i've seen running in the chop look like they would rattle my teeth out from the pounding and loud smacks they make upon re-entry & seem typical of other sized boats with simillar flat bottoms, BUT I'M NOT SAYING THE BOAT WON'T TAKE IT.

I like them believe it or not just not the toy for me , I think they look ugly almost like someone squished it too hard, from the roof down.

This is just my opinion probably not making any friends like that but just bieng honest , I't doesn't bother me , in fact i like it when people say what they think , hope every one sees it that way I do not mean to offend anyone or thier boats . JUST AN OPINION., Hope were all thick skinned enough to hear the truth , it shouldn't bother anyone -should it ?

john
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT-SEA-BIT-C wrote:
This is just my opinion probably not making any friends like that but just bieng honest , I't doesn't bother me , in fact i like it when people say what they think , hope every one sees it that way I do not mean to offend anyone or thier boats . JUST AN OPINION., Hope were all thick skinned enough to hear the truth , it shouldn't bother anyone -should it ?

Thank you, John, for sharing your OPINION. It's a valuable contribution to the discourse of this site, and speaking in much more general terms than about this particular thread, I lament the unfortunate trend toward shutting down anyone who ventures an opinion on a topic, whether it be boats or guns or dogs or the price of gas in China. IMNSHO, the thought police are a greater danger to the long-term health of the site than those who post contrarian points of view.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting to get that sinking feeling again .
How fast can your 21 tug go wide open ?

BTW did i mention how beautiful C-DORYS are ! Laughing Shocked Beer Cocktail Laughing Beer Laughing
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on guys , can you just give me the top speed of the 21 tug ?
I know more than two of you out there have them , was it the C- DORY comment ? If it was Ipromise to never post again if I can get a few simple questions answered !

Maybe this has something to with theory after endless research of no information on RANGER - 21 EC , beyond mis information from the factory about the boats top speed.

HOW CAN A BOAT BE AROUND FOR 50 YEARS AND NEVER HAVE MAGAZINE TEST ON IT ? (performance-wise)

Unless you want to count a article about three guys who went to Alaska , and really only talk about thier trip , hardly no info on boat performance , handeling etc. ??? Was a good article about the trip , but does not pertain to the boats really.

thanks john, The C-DORY is one handsome vessel Rolling Eyes Laughing
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

You seem to be having a real time trying to get the information you want. Having heard from the two who did respond (and it wasn't the numbers you were hoping for), leads me to think you may have reached the limit of potential research that can be gleaned here. Sounds like you need to take the next step: get out on one of these boats to determine if it will do what you want.

When we were in the search for our boat, finding a C-Dory to even look at in deep south Texas didn't pan out. Jeff Messmer (then at the C-Dory factory) said, "You need to come to where the boats are..." He was right; three days later, we were on a plane to go to the Seattle Boat Show... where we were able to see, get a ride on one, and buy.

Ranger has been in business for a long time, but I don't think that translates to the kind of numbers that C-Dory has produced over the years. I would guess there are just not a lot of Ranger Tug 21 owners here on this site. (After all, it IS a C-Dory owners group, and only with the premise of the C-Ranger 25 Tug joint venture about 2 years ago did the tug folks show up here). Don't get me wrong - I enjoy the perspective of the tug folks here; admire their boats. But, if a Ranger tug owner has had their boat more than two years, they likely don't even know this site exists. I did a Google search with "Ranger Tug 21" and came up with 123,000 possibles. Sure, a lot of those are going to be fruitless, but you MAY find more info. In all probablility, you will find that the results of other owners WILL be about the same as the two responses you got here.

This is just my two pesos opinion (yours free, today only), and is not meant to be pointed. You have asked questions, you have gotten answers. The boat just doesn't do what you want it to do. You can ask more people, but the answers really aren't going to change. That neat little boat was designed for a purpose, but going fast isn't that purpose. Unlike the go-fast boats that you have run, you can't just shove in more horse power and expect to see similar results - it's a relatively short waterline and a hull not made for planing - that's not bad, it's just what it IS. You could hang more motors on the back, make the boat goofy-looking (in my singular opinion), make more noise with it, burn more fuel (and two different types of fuel), complicate the whole boating experience, and it just isn't going to go a LOT faster.

We all get it: you like the looks of this boat. And if that's reason enough for you to want to buy it, that's the only reason you need. There are plenty of people who own more than one boat - different boats for different missions. The solution to your dilemma is pretty easy - TWO BOATS... the Ranger Tug for the looks and efficiency, and a go-fast boat that will run the speed you want, when you want, without a lot of inefficient modifications.

You don't buy a race horse to use as a pack mule... and you can't expect a pack mule to ever win the Kentucky Derby. That doesn't make either animal a bad choice - as long as you make the right choice for the mission.

The owners who participate here have generously shared their experiences with you. If they don't want their boats to go faster, accept that they have a different mission for their boats than you. If the boat doesn't go as fast as you want, asking more people won't make it go faster.

There is yet another option - go to a marine architect and have them design and build a boat that looks similar, but with a different hull design that will go faster. You CAN have exactly what you want, if your budget and patience can handle it. Don't expect an MA to cut you a deal with the idea that he can sell the plans to others... this truly sounds like the answer to a question that no one else has asked. (Much like the general reaction to the C-Dory 29 Crook )

I was told what to expect the weight of my boat to be... the manufacturer missed it by almost a TON. I knew what to really expect when other owners shared their experiences with me. I tend NOT to believe advertising HYPE until I have seen real world verification. Forget what you've read about the speed of the 21 - unless it's from other owners. Even if boat magazines had run their own tests (and I've never seen an issue of "Fast Small Tugs Monthly"), that would be on a lightly loaded, partially fueled, perfect water conditions, no adverse wind situation... good luck EVER duplicating that.

Sometimes you can get exactly what you want in this world. Sometimes you have to make compromises. Sometimes you need to accept that some things are just NOT going to happen, no matter how much you'd like them to. (Hey, I'd like to win the lottery, but that's NOT going to happen, because I don't buy tickets Mr. Green ) Feel free to consider this post a smack upside the head... you coulda bought a V-8. Wink

Dreams and goals are important, as is being realistic. It's not realistic to think that a production manufacturer will want to make a one-off boat. It's not realistic to believe that lots of other people want what you want - especially when there's been no evidence of that here. It's not realistic to believe that reasonable horsepower will overcome a hull design. It's not realistic to believe that fuel prices will come down enough to make a higher fuel burn a more desirable trait in any design.

No intent to burst your bubble, just hope to expand your options with some real world observations. And that's the end of my free opinions on this subject.

Good luck with your search.

Best wishes,
Jim B. (with a little too much time on my hands this morning)

PS - You may come up with a design that will make you a small fortune in the boat biz... you do know how to make a small fortune in the boat biz, don't you? Yeah, start with a big fortune.
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't answer any of your questions, so, you ask, why post? well,
there is a ranger 21 tug located at our four season marina, here in cincinnati.. so, this is what i can tell you, don't buy this boat unless you're willing to spend a lot of time explaining it's features to everyone that passes by it. this boat draws more attention than a half clothed britney spears, than a janet jackson super bowl xxxv111 wardrobe malfunction, ( for my good friend byrdman, www.janetjacksonflash.com), than a fallen wilderbeast surrendered by a pack of crazed hyenas, than the last cold bottle of beer at a c-brat convention, well, you get the point!
have fun and enjoy the new fame this boat will bring you.
best regards
pat
Sam Walker

City/Region: Wherever the RV is today
State or Province: SD
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely and eloquently put, Jim Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: