The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Pre -purchase questions for 21-EC ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Pre -purchase questions for 21-EC ? Reply with quote

Just finished a budget plan for a 21 ec , and plan on putting downpayment in about 30 days or less, however, i would like to find a few answers before doing that so i need a little help from the brats.
#1 Whats the hieght of mast when leaned over on trailer ?

#2 Can the factory a/c be run on a/c and d/c , would a Honda 2000 genny be enough to run it ? how loud is it ?

#3 Ordering it loaded but don't want the toilet , besides the spot where it sits , would i gain acess to any additional storage say where small holding tank was ?

#4 Any reckomendatios on barrier coat + bottom paint ? Does the factory offer a barrier coat ? (plan to leave it in water , every other boat i've owned left the water when I did Wink )

#5 (not so important)Is it possible to order windows on the side ( i'm talking about the biggest ones ) that could be removed and replaced ?

#6 And most important is it possible to really cruise at 10 - MPH as advertised , for extended periods of time ? (I know and have read over and over previous threads , hull speed about 6 knots( fact) REALLY NEED TO KNOW ABOUT 10 - MPH. VERY IMPORTANT TO ME !.

#7 Has anyone or does anyone have any suggestions to make the boat a little faster , just talking about 1 to 4 mph , any suggestions are welcome to me no - matter how far fecthed. I am already thinking about hanging two Honda twentys port and starboard off the transom seriously no kidding . ( YEA I KNOW I'M NUTS ,thanks )

#8 About how much rode and chain can be fit in the anchor locker.

Of course most of these questions can be ans. by the dealer .Even myself with a little hands on research.

BUT I HIGHLY REGARD REPLYS FROM THE BRATS so i am starting here.
THANK-YOU ALL for any help you can lend . And TUGGER would you be mad if i was rolling the idea around for a name like "" TUGGER-2" I promise I will order mine with a blue hull at least , if that helps. Laughing

Once again THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE..........john
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, John, what the heck are you doing up at 3AM?

Secondly, two 20Hp Honda's? Yes, I confirm your "nuts" diagnosis...You'd have a great little inboard boat, why screw it up! Question Rolling Eyes

I'm sure the 2KW Honda GENSET would be enough to run the A/C. Just plug the shore power cable into it. It will run on DC but you've got to have a hefty set of batteries and an inverter to convert the AC to DC and then something, probably bigger than your engine to charge those batteries while the A/C is running.

If you leave the marine toilet off, what are you going to use, a portaporty? That will take up the same above deck space. Don't know where the holding tank is (unless they use the same one as on the TC which is directly under the toilet, still above deck.)

Why not TUGLEY instead of TUGGER II? Just think of how it would sound on the VHF? Shocked

The remaining questions can be answered either by Andrew Custis from Ranger or (after they talk to him) the dealer. I'd call Andrew on the phone if I were you.

Hope you can get it by the time you come down to Langford... If you don't make too many changes, you might be able to find one at a dealer and get it right away.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie and Sally ,
Thanks for the reply , that was my wild saturday night making a budget untill about 2-3 am. Doubt I will have it by then but you never know , if I do I will bring it.

Wish I was a little closer so I could lend a hand with helping to get things ready , been following the posts , if you can think of anything I can do let me know , or anything i could bring to help , I would like to do something , i know things like that don't happen by themself. My E-MAIL isn't working a friend is going to help me get it straightend out this week , lost your ph.# let you know as soon as it's fixed.

I have always had bad luck with marine - heads ( leaks - smells- other bad things ) on other boats i've owned so for my own convience , just gonna go with a porta , potty if it gives me problems , i can just chuck it in the dumpster Wink

Waiting a bit for del. is OK with me , can save some more $ . I am looking pretty good business wise , even for a small fish like me, i depend on home builders for work , and THE MARKET , ECONOMY been a little scary lately so im suprized at the work i have and am thankfull for it .

TUGLEY,, TUGLEY - How do you guys know how ugly i am , you haven't even met me yet , guess i have beed called worse on the raido. Laughing i have to get some pics of my boat up soon .( cuirous what TUGGER thinks anyway ) have to wait for the west coasters to wake up to see ?....... great to hear from ya........ john
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want more speed why not drop the diesel and go with an outboard/bracket combo? Twins?

If you want to retain the Ranger look mount the outboard inside like the bartender and other fishing boats have done?

Check out the video clips on the bartenders. Some are inboard, some are outboard mounted inside with modest power.

http://bartenderboats.com/index.html

I would think a high thrust 60 h.p. would work. You could drop it in the original box where the diesel was or drop it in the aft bench seat. I would think it would work as the hull apears to curve up in the back. Not only would you get a faster boat but all the plusses of outboard power. The best being able to lift the running gear up for beaching the boat.

Overall your cost should be about the same swapping out the diesel for the outboard mounted inboard.

IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris , ( C-WEED) ,

Wild , never saw anythig like that before , it was pretty cool looking. But not for me , might just make some removable brackets to hang off of ,on long trips lock -em straight set the throttles run for the wheel thing . Just an idea , as crazy as it sounds, think it would be ok if i didn;t trip over the motor box running back in an emergency to kill the throttles Shocked

Just kidding about that i would at least have a kill switch remote close at hand . but i aint kidding about hanging a coupple 20's.

Thanks I 'll take all the help i can get boating or mental Laughing john
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-

I think Chris has a very good idea, but I'll bet you'll have to execute it yourself from a semi-complete hull. Talk to Andrew Custis at Ranger and see what he says.

You'll never get that Ranger Tug 21 as fast a that Cigarette 29, but if you keep pushing it harder and harder, you'll soon be known as

Tug-Bolt

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-WEED, had to get back to you again afterchecking the site again I foud the video--HOLLY-COW NOW THATS WHAT I'D CALL A SLEEPER.

MAN THAT BABY SURE CAN GET -UP AND MOVE !!!!! Shocked !!! Shocked
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea -wolf ,good to hear from you again . That name made me laugh like hell , & i like it too . On the HUSTLER -26 ( my - boat ) it-sea-bit c is on the transon of a all white boat with some duct tape 2 stips wide and has been there for years , yea it looks crappy, and gets a lot of laughs , can't believe it still there myself but it unbelievably is.........any info. on the above questions would be nice if you get the time , thanks john
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone give me any info on question #6 posted at the top ?? Seems this one sliding into cyber space fast.

thanks, all
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry John, forgot there's already a TUGLEY! Laughing

Charlie
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, John,I can't answer #6.

But I begin to feel a lot of us are thinking you're up against the wall trying to get planing speeds out of that displacement hull.

Have you considered any other boats like a Alaskan Trader tug, an Albin 25, that fast Bartender in the video, etc.?

(I once considered adding a smokestack to my CD-22 plus adding a few other cosmetic details to make it look like a tug. Was going to hide an A/C unit in the stack!)

Maybe hydrofoils, a gas turbine, and an Arneson Surface Drive on that Ranger 21?

Arneson Surface Drives

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for trying to help guys . I have come to the reality of the speed of the 21ec and i'm fine with it .

I just really want to know WILL SHE CRUISE AT 10 MPH - OK ? somewhat continiously . I like the half gallon an hour thing but dont care if it will burn closer to 2-3 gallons per hour . Just want to know if she can do it ?

THEY CLAIM A 10 MPH CRUISE . AND TOP SPEED OF 13 IF I'M CORRECT ?

POEPLE HAVE EM - PLEASE LET ME KNOW ? Can't thank you enough for it.
On another note them surface drives are sweet , i've had the pleasure of getting rides from friends who have them . They bite great at speed , and make an awsome rooster tail to boot. Bet some of you C-DORY Brats trim up you outboards a bit to high when no ones looking for a bit of FUN now & then.. Shocked Laughing Laughing Thumbs Up

THANKS AGAIN GUYS ! luv hearing from ya all, John.
denny48

City/Region: Peoria
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Tugger
Photos: Tugger
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Speed of Tugger Reply with quote

John,
Sorry I haven't gotten those pics up yet. Came down with a bug. Regarding your question about consistent cruise speed of 10mph, sorry not on Tugger. We're pretty WOT at between 7-9, depending on weight. I think you would be more realistic to think about 6-8 cruising speed. Perhaps you should just drop a V-8 in the thing and be done with it. As far as the Tugger II name, you know what they say, imitation is the sincerest form of copyright infringement! Just kidding. I'm sure there were many other "Tuggers" out there before ours. Having a Tugger II would be a compliment. Check with Andrew on those other questions. He's the real answer man. If I'm not mistaken, the a/c is d/c only. Sorry, couldn't pass that one up.

IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marilyn & Denny ,

Scew the pics FEEL BETTER SOON first, then we'd luv to see them.
Thanks for the reply. Man that just burns me the 21 won't hit 12-13 mph.

I have a one page brouchure from C-DORY marine group that has a box in the lower right corner that says:
1000 rpm-3.42mph
1500rpm-5.7mph
2000rpm-6.9mph
2500rpm-8.1mph
3000rpm-9.8mph
3600rpm-13.0mph

I am sure i'm not the only one who has or has seen this .

THAT'S BULL IF THEY ARE OFF 1/3 RD OF THE SPEED !!!! Only other lit.
I can find is the 2 page one I have two of em old & newer same word for word with blue tug instead of white almost identical pics.

The doggone thing says : CRUISE 10 MPH. / TOP SPEED : 12.5
Plain as day word for word .

I can deal with 9-10 mph cruise but got the feeling thier FULL OF BULL !!

CAN OTHER 21 OWNERS PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TOP SPEED THEY ARE MAKING ? Where are you guys .

SOMEONE FROM RANGER MAYBE ???? You have another sale if you can deliver what you claim.
8 hours to go about 50 miles is not worth it to me especially running against a few knot current . But I could live with closer to 10 .

Starting to get that sinking feeling, a little help please
thank you again John Question
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Why don't you contact a dealer and see if you can get a demo. That would be the best way to answer the question, and you could look the boat over. C-Dory was glad to give me a demo ride, and I assume that Ranger or a dealer would be thrilled to do the same. But then try to get a ride on a C-Dory 22 if 10 knts is that important. Ranger isn't connected with C-Dory anymore, as far as I know.

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: