The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-22 gunnel gel coat crazing/cracking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: C-22 gunnel gel coat crazing/cracking Reply with quote

I've had continual problems ranging from crazing to an outright crack in the gel coat on the gunnel at the joint between the cabin and the gunnel itself, located between the nonskid and the cabin. The factory authorized repair of the starboard crack during the first year of the warranty but crazing isn't considered a warranty issue.

The latest FactoryGuy tells me that crazing at that joint has been an issue for over 10 years, yet it isn't considered a design defect either.

Am I alone with this recurring problem? (Both port and starboard gunnels now have gel coat crazing going on) Is there a permanent cure?

I'd seriously like to know if others have this same issue and what steps they took to make the problem go away. It's not a trailering stress - the boat's been moored in a quiet marina and has less than 400 tow miles on it. It's not a "heavy chop/swell" problem, I don't catch air on the water. My feeling is that it's simply a hull/cabin joint flex problem and ain't gonna go away.

What say y'all? Anybody else have this problem?

Don
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think you answered your own question. It is typical and normal. Also, on mine, they are so tiny that they are hardly noticable unless you really, really give the boat a reall good look over.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - I have the same problem. It's on my list of things to repair this summer. I'm thinking about beefing up that area with a few more layers of fiberglass.
westward

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1985
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the same small cracks on our last 22 from the time we bought it used to the time we sold it. I half expect them to appear on the new 22. I'm not worried about them. I'm not sure if it's the shape, or if excess gelcoat pools there in the mold, or what. They never got bigger in our case. I felt the boat flexed less there than other places due to the strength imparted by the bulkhead. I think it's more cosmetic than anything but can't say for sure. Mike.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boat is 15 year old and they have caused no problems. Like I said, they are hardly even noticable.
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, gentlemen Brats, I think I'll just not fret and (maybe) deal with them if they become a sales cosmetic issue.

Very nice to know I'm not alone with this issue. Never had it on any of my previous (SOB) boats so it came as a vexing surprise.

Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: