The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

CBFT in Kalama?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CW

City/Region: Kalama
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Satisfaction
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: CBFT in Kalama? Reply with quote

Well, I spoke with several people at the SBSCBGT about the idea of a C-Brats Fish Together in August in Kalama, WA where we would target the peak of the run for the big Fall Chinook salmon and there was a very positive response. This is the best chance of the whole year, in the best river of the lower 48, at a chance at a 30+ lb. chrome bright salmon. The chances of a boat catching a fish are so/so (60/40?), but if one is caught, there is a 50/50 chance it will be over 24 lbs. The smallest fish we caught last year was 19 lbs.. We caught a 36 & 38 lb. chinook last year as well as fought an oversize sturgeon (9ft?) for 40 minutes caught on a salmon lure, that we never laid eyes on - and that on a short, stout rod with 100 lb. test line. And last year's season was half the normal length. We've averaged 3 fish over 30 lbs. the last three years. Fish in the twenties are commonplace. The hole where I fish holds the local record, 58 lbs. after being cleaned and gilled (64 lbs. whole?). If this kind of thing interests you, I welcome your attendance.

I am tentatively planning for August 23, 24 (weekend) or better yet the 25th - 26th (later in season, less crowded than weekend).

I am thinking of taking out 5 or 6 C-brats in my boat where we can fish 4-5 rods. I offer up first dibs on those slots to take: Patrick Byrdman (& guest of his choice), Starcraft Tom, Jazzmanic, & Larry (C-Ya). I wouldn't kick Dr. Bob Austin // Thataway or Dave//Oldgrowth out of the boat either. But if some of those folks can't make it, I'll take most any Brat.

I will be focusing on fishing during August and am not interested in hosting a typical C-Brat Get Together. I would be willing to host a barbecue at my home (3 miles from marina) the night in-between. Our marina will be overrun with boats and trailers (as will most nearby) but for those who want to bring a boat and try and fish, I welcome you. I can show you what to use and will put you onto some great spots to fish, right next to us even... but be warned, anchoring into a hogline in the peak of the salmon season in strong current in 50 ft. of water requires some boating skills & equipment not typically encountered. With some practice, most folks do fine. If you wanted to sleep on your boat, there is some nice calm and protected water nearby where the ship traffic wake won't disturb you. There is a guest dock in Kalama for a few boats, but competition for them will be keen and it is kind of noisy there with the rail line nearby. There is a really nice marina with moorage in Rainier, OR 9 miles west too. For those who want to stay in a hotel, there's one in Kalama that is adequate, but will fill up early because of the salmon season (there's typically 6 guide boats in the parking lot there + many out of town fishermen). There are nicer ones in Kelso, just 9 miles north.

Depending on response to all of this, I could probably reserve one of the picnic structures at the local marina park for an evening meal for a larger group if needed or we could have a bonfire and picnic on the beach at a local island (more rustic, more adventuresome, no facilities). Interested? C.W.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: