SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Sept. we took a cruise in the SJ islands and one morning my Wallas would not start. I found the fuse was blown. I replaced it and it worked okay for dinner. The next morning I turned it on and went into the cockpit. when I came back into the cabin it was full of smoke. I looks under the wallas and could see that electrical components were burning up. I pulled off the main power lines and aired out the boat.

On the way home I stopped at Scanmar and took in the stove. The knew I was on my way home and had little time so they worked on it right away. The tech person said that it should not have burned up like this unless it had been exposed to saltwater - which it had not. They replaced the circuit board and checked out the stove and I had it installed in the boat by 1pm - all for no charge! (I had about 200hrs on the boat so not a lot of use on the stove)

I don't know if the Wallas has some inherent problems or if Scanmar will do this on a regular basis but I sure was happy that they stood behind their product for me.

Steve
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT is sort of the understatement of the year...the majority of the posts about Wallas problems relate to problems when the battery voltage is too low...

marvin4239 wrote:
From reading all the posts it sounds as if they may be voltage sensative.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Zelpha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have two boats with WALLAS equipment which are several years old. One has a 950 Stove/Heater, the other a 1300 stove. No problems except when I put some old fuel in the 950 (my fault). Replaced the fuel and all OK. If you only want a stove I highly recommend the 1300. Scan Marine has been great and supportive.
Zelpha
John S

City/Region: Sterling
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: TomCat
Photos: TomCat
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update

I talked to Mike today (the technician) at Scan Marine. He said there was NOTHING wrong with my stove. Started up and ran fine.

I don't get it and am concerned. He said it was one of the cleanest stoves he has seen. He says, he thinks it isn't getting run enough. (Even thought it failed on its 6th straight day of running 24 hrs a day.)

He said he did bang the pump HARD! He said he knows how to hit the pump to make them work. I beat the pump and manually ran the pump on a 12 volt battery successfully. So I'm confused.

Now I get to pay to return it. If you're just joining this thread you can look above to see all the things I tried to make it work before sending it in. I really think it will quit again on my upcoming 3 week voyage, but we'll see.

Just thought I'd pass it all along.

www.AlaskaAdventureJournal.com
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get his statements:

Quote:
I talked to Mike today (the technician) at Scan Marine. He said there was NOTHING wrong with my stove. Started up and ran fine.

Quote:
He said he did bang the pump HARD! He said he knows how to hit the pump to make them work. I beat the pump and manually ran the pump on a 12 volt battery successfully. So I'm confused.

First he said it ran fine right out of the box, then he said he had to "bang the pump HARD"??? Was that a 'preventative maintenance bang' before shipping it back, or, a 'startup bang' to make it run "fine"?

Seems important.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Capital Sea

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Capital Sea
Photos: Capital Sea
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaaaa....what we may have done and might have found is aaaa.... on a need to know basis. All I can state for the record is that the stove runs now.....
Kind of reminds me of the VP and WMD.

Save our Sound!
John S

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dora~Jean wrote:
I don't get his statements:

First he said it ran fine right out of the box, then he said he had to "bang the pump HARD"??? Was that a 'preventative maintenance bang' before shipping it back, or, a 'startup bang' to make it run "fine"?

Seems important.

Mike' (the technician's) banging seems to be preventative. I've called them while having problems installing a friends new Wallas 30D and 95D. Their answer then when we couldn't get the 30D to start was whacking the pump, didn't work for us. They sent a new pump for him and it worked great then, but they told us the pump we returned was fine.

He said if I wanted they would sell me a new pump to keep as a spare, but it would cost me around $300.

I got the same uneasiness as I think you felt their just reading about the phone call.
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good info John. Perhaps the tolerances on your pump are so close that temperature variations can cause it to seize (mildly) or not start pumping on its own. At least you've got a place to first look should it happen again (knock on wood). Thumbs Up
John S

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update

The stove is headed back to me in AK. The shipping cost is $60 by mail. I called back and talked to Doug and he asked if I had tried the hair dryer trick. I hadn't been told previously of this one. You heat the pump with a hair dryer and it helps loosen the gum in the pump.

He said my stove interior was VERY clean with me currently burning diesel. Doug said that if I use low settings often I might then want to consider the Kleen Heat Fuel.

I bought a spare fuel pump for $246 and a spare glow plug. Doug is allowing me to send the fuel pump back for a full refund within 6 months if I don't use it. Nice Gesture.

So the stove is headed back with about a $470 bill with nothing done to actually fix it, but with a couple spare parts.

Again, banging the pump was discussed, they have had GREAT success bringing the pumps back to life by banging on their metal frame.

Hope this might help someone else.

John
Capital Sea

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Capital Sea
Photos: Capital Sea
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean fuel is far better than diesel and more stable. That may make a difference as well.
Wallis tool kit: Hammer, hair dryer....
Heat is nice though.
garyk

City/Region: Ketchum
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: AMIGO 11
Photos: Amigo II
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 2006 Tomcat. The Wallas works fine while at the dock or at anchor. Every time it's heating under power at any speed it starts smoking. Some times it may have been heating just fine for an hour or more before it goes into the "SMOKE" mode. This happends at high, med, or low settings We shut it down at this point.
I'm sure it is a vent problem, but don't know what the fix would be. The instalation is the same as every other CD 25.5. Has any one else had this problem? WE have talked to the factory people at the past two SBS and received, no worthwhile suggestions. This has been going on since day one.
Rick had the same model (different Year) in his CD 22 and it never missed a beat. We have 650 hours on the Tomcat, mostly BC and Alaska It would sure be nice to have a warm cabin while running.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyk wrote:
We have a 2006 Tomcat. The Wallas works fine while at the dock or at anchor. Every time it's heating under power at any speed it starts smoking. Some times it may have been heating just fine for an hour or more before it goes into the "SMOKE" mode. This happends at high, med, or low settings We shut it down at this point.
I'm sure it is a vent problem, but don't know what the fix would be. The instalation is the same as every other CD 25.5. Has any one else had this problem? WE have talked to the factory people at the past two SBS and received, no worthwhile suggestions. This has been going on since day one.
Rick had the same model (different Year) in his CD 22 and it never missed a beat. We have 650 hours on the Tomcat, mostly BC and Alaska It would sure be nice to have a warm cabin while running.

Sounds like you've got a back-pressure issue from the wind pressure against the exhaust outlet. I think this was discussed before, with the solution being to put a clamshell windguard over the exhaust vent.

Click on image fr link to WM Catalogue.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the last post on the previous thread about the back-pressure problem. Looks like we're due for a report from Moose!

MOOSE wrote:
drjohn71a wrote:
Joe, I don't know about that clamshell idea. Has anyone else done that to a Wallas? I'd like to do something to eliminate the windage/backdraught problem.

John

I think the clamshell idea is worth a try, so when I was down at Marine General in Duluth earlier this week I picked up a 2" x 2" clamshell vent for about $8. It had three mounting holes; the one at the apex I ground off because it didn't match anything. The two at the open end were spaced 1 5/8" apart and the bolt spacing on my Wallas exhaust flange is 1 1/4". So I just squeezed the clamshell in a vice until the holes matched. When I give this a try this spring, I'll aim the clamshell toward the stern. The Wallas exhaust is 1" in diameter and the ID of my altered clamshell is about 3/4" x 3/4", so I'm hoping I'm not introducing a restriction. I'm also hoping I don't scorch the side of the boat by directing hot exhaust gasses along side it. Anyway, I think it's worth a try as an attempt to solve the backdraught issue. I'll keep you posted.
Al
John S

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't there be issues with the clam shell getting smashed into the boat on a dock??? Otherwise I'm intersted in trying this. Scan Marine (the wallas dealer) has recommended installing some kind of a wind diverter previously.

John

Oh yeah, might be worth mentioning that when my Wallas quit working on me was with a large crosswind blowing right into the exhaust while at trolling speeds.
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

What lead thru do you have? Mine is shown below, I've been in 30-40 kt headwinds while underway, no problems, although I have the Wallas 1300 heater, don't know if it has the same sensitivities as the stove.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: