The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

swim platform question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: swim platform question Reply with quote

Wondering if I can purchase the swim platform directly from the factory. We'll be using our tender quit often and believe the swim step will offer better access then climbing over the side.
Installation looks to be strait forward, or do I need to pull the full cells?

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,

if you have a single, I think you can order a swim step factory direct. If you have twins, contact Les at EQ for information about the step he designed and installs.

Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The single swim step is just through bolted onto the transom and the edges filled/sealed with caulk. The biggest challenge is getting to the inside to get the backing washers and nuts on.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
breausaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got off the phone with Dave at the Auburn factory who said the swim steps are available -$410 – and that if I talk with Fred he will walk me through installation. Looks like I’ll have to pull the Port fuel cell, but Fred’s the guy who will know.
I plan on swinging by the factory before retrieving Triple J for the long hall back up to Anchorage.
GOYO

City/Region: Bonney Lake
Photos: GOYO
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider using a boarding ladder hung on the gunnel for dinghy access. I have a swim step on our 25 and positioning the dinghy for access from the swim step is a little tricky. Much easier to tie off on the side and access from the ladder. Ladders are also a lot cheaper and do not require holes in the hull.
breausaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOYO wrote:
I would consider using a boarding ladder hung on the gunnel for dinghy access. I have a swim step on our 25 and positioning the dinghy for access from the swim step is a little tricky. Much easier to tie off on the side and access from the ladder. Ladders are also a lot cheaper and do not require holes in the hull.

Whoa Steve,

So I guess the question is, what exactly do most of you use the swim step for…swimming? Don’t think we’ll be swimming much so perhaps your ladder approach would save me some cash.
The only problem I see is storing the ladder on a boat that offers little room for storing much of anything other then basic needs.
Suppose I could strap it up top with the Tender, or??
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use an inexpensive $75 aluminum ladder that hooks over the gunnel to get into and out of the water to swim here on Shasta alake in the summer, but it's no where near as stable as the one that hooks into fittings installed on the top of the gunnel like the factory option model.

The cheaper ladder strains under the weight of 200+ pound mariners, but if you fall into 78 degree freshwater that your were getting into anyway, who cares?

If I were going to use a ladder to get into a dinghy in the PNW, I get a very strong, rigidly mounted one with wide, flat, non-slip coated steps, etc.

Might still cost only a little less than the swim step, though.

What would really work would be a rigid, but removable ladder with a fold down swim step on the side of the boat, or, better yet, a swim step/platform attached to the bottom of a rigid removeable ladder. Idea

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a beautiful heavy teak full width swim step that I sure would like to sell.....woulden't fit a C-Dory though...it's 8' wide and about 3' deep....with brackets....anyone know someone who has an imboard that needs a swim step.\ ??

Joel
SEA3PO
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only problem with ladders is the one time you fall in and the ladder is still inside the boat. Sad
Most steps from the motor well can be reached from the water.

Do agree that some of the good ladders are much more stable and a good addition if you want to safely transition to a dinghy.

Merv

Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So I guess the question is, what exactly do most of you use the swim step for…swimming? Don’t think we’ll be swimming much so perhaps your ladder approach would save me some cash.
The only problem I see is storing the ladder on a boat that offers little room for storing much of anything other then basic needs.

We have the swim step on our 25. Wouldn't be without it. We use it for boarding the dingy, sometimes boarding at a dock, stepping to shore from the step when anchored, stern to, a sandy beach using our bungee anchor line, and for getting our dogs into and out of the dingy. It works well for us.
Ron
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Journey On, we tie the dingy alongside either side, and embark/board over the side. The gunnel isn't too high, and if you tie the dingy fore and aft, it's secure enough to stand in.

We use the swim step as its name indicates, for entering the water, with the boarding ladder. However, the primary function of the swim step/boarding ladder is to get on the boat when it's on the trailer and out of the water. We use a small folding step to get to the ladder and then go from there. A third use is in going from the boat to the dock when the bimini is up, and especially with the side canvass on.

In summary, the swim step is great and worth it.

Boris
GOYO

City/Region: Bonney Lake
Photos: GOYO
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is apparently personal choice. I find the swim step a little precarious for loading and unloading from the dinghy. I find the boarding (stout ladder) ladder easier to use and more secure when the dinghy is side tied at both ends and I have things to hang on to. I use both the ladder and swim step to board the boat on the trailer. I store the ladder upright on the right side of the cabin door. Also a side note, I fell off my boat a year ago while cleaning it in the driveway and broke my leg in 6 places, may have something to do with desire to hang on to something any time I go on or off the boat.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a C-Dory, mounting things in the engine well like a cooler rack, propane tank, generator, kicker motor, BBQ, etc. can certainly play havoc with the access to a swim step.

On a larger inboard boat, a full 9-12 foot wide by 3 ft swim step with a transom door makes for a very useful platform aft of the cockpit.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to glue some wood blocks (w/4200 or 5200) on the side walls of the cockpit, then screw in some rubber holders to mount the portable ladder. One of my next projects...
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a swim platform plus the factory cooler rack. It's quite a trick getting over the cooler to the swim platform. A while back someone posted a ladder he had made that used a 1" stainless eye bolt and aluminum angle iron. The aluminum angle iron was padded and attached to the top of the ladder and went on the gunnel and the eye bolt was cut and slipped over the bow rail upright. It's great for use when beaching the boat. I fabricated one and it works great. On a 25 it could be used on the rear cockpit rails if you wished. You don't have to add any hardware to your boat. I tried to find the post but didn't have any luck. Maybe someone else remebers it. I don't have a picture of my set up but will try to get one and post it. Boaters World and West Marine both sell telescoping ladders that the set up can be fashioned from. In my case I already had a ladder that folds. The setup stores easily in the cockpit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: