The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Ranger Tugs "50th Anniversary"?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sign at the Kent factory simply says "Ranger Boats."

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Steamboat_Willie

City/Region: northern
State or Province: NJ
Vessel Name: Steamboat Willie
Photos: Steamboat Willie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this history information about the Ranger Tugs is wonderful. However I'm a bit confused now. What is this new Ranger Tugs site http://www.rangertugs.com/m/index.html ? Is Ranger Tugs changing their name to Martini Marine? (member 'rogerbum' in his post indicates that Ranger has now changed their name) When I go to that site and click on the Martini 18 link it displays what sure looks like an older Ranger 21. Then clicking on the Martini 21 link at the top I see a nice looking 1930's-era motor launch (as they describe it). Is this a new boat they're now selling? Or bringing back an old one? Anyone know?
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is since the /m page says 40 years in business and the /r link is the 50 year page then the /m page is older. It is well hidden too. Took some doing to find it (at least for this non-nerd).
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, the 40 year info is found at the "About Us" link on the /m page. There is some more history there too.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one that finds interest in the fact that the C-Ranger part left about the same time the Bob Latham "flash-in-the-pan" lasted with Scot? We all know of the multitude of employee shifts in those months. Maybe some things will settle at the C-Dory house now and they can get back to building the quality boats we expected to come out of Scot's plant.

As for Jeff...and the Livingstons.... here is my take. The "still new" Ranger Tug 25 is selling many new hulls, and each seem to be a bit of improvement. They are beautiful boats on the show room floors all waxed up under the lights. Nobody can argue that they have better than great eye catching apeal. But...slow it down a bit, put it in use, start to look at the access to some parts/areas that we have to get to for general and anual maintenance.... and some of the sparkle and glitter go away. The good news, is Jeff and crew are commited to really listening to the owners, and are attempting to change the hull......and, it would be interesting to see how many of the ones for sale now are replaced with an updated version hull??

Was just at the Maine Boatbuilders Show last weekend and Jeff, nor Bruce Perkins, nor any Ranger Tug were there? Thought they would be. We always have a good laugh or two together, and some great meals too.

Now, they may also be taking the Martini line (Dave Livingston) and seperating the 21s a bit from the Ranger 25?? Maybe?

Still would like to see a R-21-EC laid out in the Ranger 25 size package. I just can not fit good into that 21.

Jeff....Now Brother we always are right up front with each other.... That 50th Anniversary gig stuff on the C-Ranger/Ranger25 is a bit of marketing sizzle man.... We have enough sizzle on and in the media during election times.... You are gaining on a 5th year... from the Jan 2006 Seattle show when one of the best displays I have seen at any boat show was the "part of a boat" display... or was it Jan05??? My how time flies... Yes, the Livingstons and possibly many parts of the current Ranger 25 have been at it for possibly over 50 years..... Use it Brother...but let's not confuse it.

Go get on your boat and have fun!

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'd like to see the Ranger 25 spin on it's axis, click on the Wefings masthead ad above. Then click on Ranger tugs and scroll down to the video.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For people who have lived in the Seattle Tacoma area for as long as I have, and have been involved in boating, the Ranger Boat Company in Kent has been a known item for many years. Before I-5 was completed into Seattle from the south, the main road was Pacific highway. When driving to Seattle on "Old 99", (Pacific Highway) just past Midway, and before Angle Lake, we would pass an old quonset hut that housed Ranger Boats. I remember them best for producing a small sailboat called a Minto. It was designed by Ed Hoppen of Eddon Marine in Gig Harbor in the early 1960's. Ranger built other small sailboats and as I recall they also built a canoe. No tugs then. No 20 foot or 26 foot sailboat either. They all came later.
Here is a link to the history of the Minto, written, I think, by the current builder, which includes some early history of Ranger Boats. It mentions that Ranger Boats was sold in 1999. I believe that is when the Livingstons bought the company.
I know of at least three boat companies called Ranger. Two build (built) sailboats. That is the reason some refer to the boats built by Ranger Boats in Kent, Washington as Kent Rangers.

Ranger Boats is 50 years old. The Tugs, not so old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minto_Sailing_Dinghy

Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: