View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAVEY5205

City/Region: TACOMA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: HONEY DO LIST
Photos: HONEY DO
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: free cg safety inspections Reply with quote

hi guys
tacoma outboard association will be hosting coast guard safety inspections for all boats on april 5th. just bring your boat on down. 8am to early afternoon. great way to get your 2008 stickers!!!!!!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CW wrote:
A WA state Boater's card is already required for children to drive a boat, each year the age limit required to have it climbs. I took the 7 week version of the CG Auxillary class but does that count? No, I've got more hoops to jump through and fees to pay.

CW, all you've got to do is complete a short form, send a copy of your CG Aux Class card and $10 and they'll send you the Wa. State Boater Education Card. Too bad you're not an old guy like me.... as anyone born before Jan 1, 1955 doesn't need one (and I definitely was born a while before then Wink ).
However, just for grins and to help keep the State of Washington solvent with their seemingly endless desire for more tax money from us, I sent a photo copy of my CG card and The $10 fee.

For further info, go to www.parks.wa.gov/boating

Applications are available at the above web site.

C-Brat #16
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An analogy would be paying for drivers education and then having to spend $30-40 for an 8 year drivers license. Unfortunately there is always a small percentage of the boating public that can't seem to figure out some of the rules to safe boating on their own. So enter the state(s).
$10 for a life time card is a pretty good deal. At 64, I have one.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Alyssa Jean

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERE is another link for information on what is covered in a Vessel Safety Check. Also a link with-in the link to find the nearest examiner to your Zip Code.
CW

City/Region: Kalama
Vessel Name: Satisfaction
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

thanks for the link. I'll put it on my thing to do list within the next month (comes after getting a new 2008-09 WDFW combination fresh & salt water fishing, clamming and combination hunting license - our 2007-08 expires at the end of March). Ever since I got a ticket for driving a car without a valid registration and proof of insurance in it (my wife's car - we had both, she just didn't move the paperwork) it has been decided that I'll be the one to keep all of family's i's dotted and t's crossed legally with the state's permits, fees, and stickers. I can only wonder how long it will be until my chainsaw, weedeater, barbecue and John Deer mower will also require a registration, sticker and carbon monoxide permit. Undoubtedly our "herd" of two goat's produce some of that too so I'll have to get them tatooed, inspected and updated state sanctioned bodypiercing tags. C.W.

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David...and others for your input. Thumbs Up

I find it interesting all these laws/regulations and checklist.... and I had one pop up on my boat on our last trip that just floored me. Sad

My bet is most of us are more likely to need a first aid kit (or it's contents) much more often than the new decals, taxes paid, battery terminals covered... yada yada yada.... but guess who did not have a full first aid kit on board? Yepo! OK...if the our Coast Guard would have came on board with the checklist...I would have been fine.

But, when my Brother cut his hand open, or more accurately for this event, re-opened a previous cut.... I reached into my handy dandy keep things handy and organized cabinet for things ya need (flares, fire extinguishers...).... no first aid kit. Well, not as a kit anyway. Yes, I cruise often on my boat, so most items were on board, but, I had to rummage about a bit. Some in my "shaving kit"...which no longer has the finger nail clippers in them after a recent run thru the airport.... some in my kitchen supply cake box (yep, that plastic cake holder for tailgating parties/Church outings/bring desert for dinner plastic box with the neat folding handles and SNAPPING end clamps) for some cutters, my stock of paper towels (to keep him from bleeding all over himself...my boat cleans nicely)...to hold things at bay until I found my always on board never used yet bag of white hand towels from COSTCO/Wallmart.... Bottom line... we got thru it just fine, and...duct tape (Alabama Chrome), wire tape, but no just plan ole white "medical" tape. He lived. We had a great dinner.

Point... During a clean out day, I had an older first aid kit that I found some items a bit aged in, I tossed the hole rig durring a clean out day....and never replaced the first aid kit. It is on my list....but I forgot where I put my list. Mr. Green I call it CRS... Can't Remember ....Stuff.

It may not be law....but, something to check on our boats at least once a season...before we need something out of it is that first aid kit. I can not think of an entire boating year that something was not used from the kits, and the more kids, and/or adults acting like kids Beer Moon and fishing and fun...the more the first aid kit was needed. Mr. Green

Lesson learned... Idea Idea keep the bleeding person from above the first aid kit, and closer to the wash down system. Makes for easier clean up...and just feels better next time you need that band-aid...and you get to put your own blood on it...even if you do have to take it out of that little adult proof package. Idea (hand it to the bleeding kid to open themselves...it teaches them to be self sufficient, gives them something to focus on other than the often little cut, and, they often top crying and sniffling...as to allow themselves to see to open the thing. Idea ) Then have them get your next beverage. Beer All is well on board, life is good.

Happy Easter All!....and go get on your boats!!

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never saw an answer to my earlier question...

"Many of us have our batteries in a box with a cover on it. I assume this will meet the requirement?"

Does this meet the requirement to cover the battery terminals?

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Alyssa Jean

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it certainly does.
CW

City/Region: Kalama
Vessel Name: Satisfaction
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing like tightening a battery connection with a wrench, only to contact the side of the hull (in an aluminum boat) Wakes you up!!! C.W.
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batteries and wrenches,

DO use hex nuts on the battery posts and do tighten them with a wrench!

DON'T use a wrench long enough to contact both terminals at once! If you cant find a short wrench, put a cover on the other end of the wrench. A piece of hose, shrink tube, or even duct tape. A wrench shorting out both battery terminals can cause the battery to explode!

When working on the battery, disconnect the negative cable first and reconnect the negative cable last.

David,

Thanks to your heads up, I now have a CO sticker. I got it from a licensing agent.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Kent Richmond

City/Region: Bayfield,
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: USCG Auxiliary Vessel Safety Check Reply with quote

Just for the record, the first aid kit is not a mandated piece of gear on the boat. It's a good idea to have one on board, but its absence will not disqualify a boat in a USCG Aux vessel inspection.
Kent Richmond - FSO MA - Bayfield, Wisconsin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

This is a great subject for this time of year.

My feeling being both a member of USCGAux and USPS is if one state does it, then I do it. It usually does not cost much, if anything, and it makes our boat a little safer.

I have been a Vessel Examiner in the past, and I hope to renew my qualifications this year by doing five exams with a qualified examiner. I can not understand why a boater will not take the time for an exam. It is free, and most of the USCG, Harbor Masters, and State people will not pull over a boat with a current Safety Decal, unless the boat is doing a moving violation like going 50 KPH through an anchorage with a couple of kids with out life jackets sitting on the bow with their legs dangling over the bow( I saw it one day in Nantucket Harbor.) Then I think the operator should be jailed and have his boat taken away from him.

The boat owner who does not take the free exam thinks maybe thinks that we will report them. If we find something we do not like, we tell them and give them a fail slip and tell them what they have to do. Maybe they are a know-it-all. Nothing you can do about them.

The biggest thing I have found in the past has been out-of-date flares. If there is a store nearby, they usually will run up and buy them.

I think all C-Dory people should get an exam. One year I did a bunch of C-Dory's on the Erie Canal.

Fred

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna Leigh wrote:
Quote:
What exactly does terminals covered mean

Exactly right. The battery terminals must have a cover over them so you can't drop the crescent wrench across them and/or a ground and create a REAL problem.

And Thanks Bill for fixing things when they need to be fixed.

Aren't these already in a box in the back of the boat? How do you drop a cresent wrench through the factory hatch and have it cross the terminals. And if I am working on the battery connections anyway, which is why all of us would be working in the battery compartment, I do think that I would not have the cover on the battery as that is where I would be working. I will flat out say it, this just seems stupid and I must be missing something.
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TR,

If the battery is installed inside a plastic box with lid, held onto the box with a strap, then it meets the standard. There are, however, battery mounts that are a just frame with the terminals exposed. Sort of like a car hold down.

The standard is written for all boats, not just C-Dorys and many boats do not have the battery installed in a lazarette hatch. I have seen batteries installed under a seat or next to an inboard motor. I have also had to remove various kinds of junk (some of it metallic) from the top of batteries to service them.

Having a battery explode or melt down or start a fire from a red hot metal part shorting out the terminals is not something you want to have happen while out on the water.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry H wrote:
TR,

If the battery is installed inside a plastic box with lid, held onto the box with a strap, then it meets the standard. There are, however, battery mounts that are a just frame with the terminals exposed. Sort of like a car hold down.

The standard is written for all boats, not just C-Dorys and many boats do not have the battery installed in a lazarette hatch. I have seen batteries installed under a seat or next to an inboard motor. I have also had to remove various kinds of junk (some of it metallic) from the top of batteries to service them.

Having a battery explode or melt down or start a fire from a red hot metal part shorting out the terminals is not something you want to have happen while out on the water.

Larry,

Thanks for the quick response. You certainly don't want a battery to blow up anywhere. Like I said, I must have been missing something. I thought they were saying that you had to have a plastic box inside the lazarette hatch, which is crazy. It didn't occur to me that other folks were placing batteries in the cabin where they will produce highly flamable hydrogen and other dangerous fumes while charging. But, once again, that is assuming that they are lead-acid and there are other choices out there now that I think of it. I can't imagine having a battery without some sort of marine battery box in a boat.

T. Bauer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Documents All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: