The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bennet or Lenco, need some help..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Bennet or Lenco, need some help.. Reply with quote

Could someone please help me make up my mind: Bennett or Lenco, 12X12 or 12X10, rocker or joy stick control.
I’d like to order this weekend to take advantage of good sales prices.
I’m leaning toward the Lenco 12X12 edge mount, and know electricity and salt water don’t mix but not that fond of having hydraulic lines running all over the place either. I like the straight forward approach to the Lenco setup but have heard good things about the Bennett sport tabs also.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Permatrim Reply with quote

jay,

For a whole lot less money, you may want to consider Permatrim. I think a Honda 90 is under $200. There are a couple of photos in my album.

There is no lateral trim ability with Permatrim, but fore and aft seems very good.

Lots of threads on this topic.....

Steve
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Steve. If I hadn't already had the Bennetts installed, I would've stuck with the Permatrim by itself. I have both but find that I like using the Permatrim to trim the bow up or down rather than the trim tabs.

Besides, if you need to adjust lateral trim, ask the 1st mate to move or slide the ice chest to the other side. Wink

Peter
breausaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Permatrim Reply with quote

Wandering Sagebrush wrote:
jay,

For a whole lot less money, you may want to consider Permatrim. I think a Honda 90 is under $200. There are a couple of photos in my album.

There is no lateral trim ability with Permatrim, but fore and aft seems very good.

Lots of threads on this topic.....

Steve

Steve,
I have a Permitrim to install, so perhaps I should hold off. But I’ve read that other owner here have benefited for having both.
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Lenco 12x12 edge mount tabs and have been very happy with them. I am considering adding a Permatrim, but I would not want to be without the tabs.

Rob
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with the 12 x 12. I did own Lenco for 3 years on a 29 footer and no problems. Definately get the version with the LED indicator of tab position.

On the other hand, over all Bennet has a much better reputation for durability in the long run.

I have the Institrim by Boat Levelers on the 25--It cost almost as much to replace the pump as a Lenco system would have cost.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had plenty to say about the Bennett/Lenco decision based on experience with both. If you want to see it then click on Search up there, put m120 in the Keyword field, tyboo in the Author field, and choose to display results as posts.

I had Bennett M120 Sport Tabs on my CD 22 and honestly believe the things were invented for that hull. They are that perfect. For some reason I put Lenco 12x12's on my CD 25 and I felt kinda like this poor kid.

Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Step at a time Reply with quote

Jay,

Since you already have the Permatrim, I think your idea of trying it first is a good one. You may find that you do not want to go through the hassle of putting the trim tabs in. If I am not mistaken, you will need to pull your fuel cells out, or at least I was told by a dealer that pulling them was necessary. If you're happy with the Permatrim, you've save a bunch of money for other boat toys.

Steve
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bennett & you won"t be dissapointed, if you want my two cents - good co.
breausaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all in input, I’ll see how the Permatrim performs by itself before embarking on the Trim Tab purchase.
But if anybody knows, do you really have to pull the fuel cells to install Trim Tabs on an 07 22?
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

breausaw wrote:
Thanks for all in input, I’ll see how the Permatrim performs by itself before embarking on the Trim Tab purchase.
But if anybody knows, do you really have to pull the fuel cells to install Trim Tabs on an 07 22?

How did you get fuel cells Wink I have the 04?ish 25gal tanks on my 91 22" & I did not have to remove the tanks. You need to get the 1"shorter upper mount for the bennetts, that will turn a 4 hour job into a 2 hour job Mr. Green Beer
rcwass

City/Region: South Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Lorraine J
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Bennet or Lenco, Need some help Reply with quote

I installed Bennett M120's on my 22 ft Cruiser and they work great. I had to opt to the optional position indicator so I could see where my tabs were at any given time. You can't beat Bennett's customer service either. They sent me shorter actuators and more tubing at no charge. I had to mount the pump under the sink so I need longer tubing. Mounting the pump in the cabin is a little noisy but only when your changing the trim and not bad.

I watched Ship Shape TV this weekend and it was about replacing trim tabs. They had a set of Lenco tabs that lasted just over a year and both tabs failed. They replaced them with Bennett tabs. That program is repeated several times. Ship Shape TV is on the sports channels.
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Fuel Cells Reply with quote

I think I am the culprit that started the term "fuel cell". I guess I had too many years working on aircraft, where the fuel tanks are called fuel cells. There is just nothing more fun that working with your arm up to the shoulder in a pool of JP4 while changing a sensor. Brings back great memories.

Regardless, the terms are interchangeable. Either usage is appropriate.

Steve
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This old Bennett vs. Lenco discussion comes up every few months or so.

The bottom line: the Bennett's are far less susceptable to water intrusion problems, especially in salt water, and for boats that are moored.

The reason: water intrusion effects oil and hydraulic systems far less than electrical systems and components.

To be sure, the Lenco all-electric activited jack screw system is alluringly simple (especially to install) and can work for dry-stored boats. No oil reservoirs, pumps, hydraulic lines, etc. to install.

But the failure rate for the Lencos is much higher for these electrically actuated trim tabs.

It's true that both manufacturers have very good customer service reputations.

Tom at Bennet Trim Tabs has a reputation for quality help and service that is nation-wide in scope.

Lenco usually sends replacement actuators out without much qualification other than proof of purchase.

Whichever you choose, be sure to store the tabs with the tabs up to retract the actuator shafts back into the actuator bodies and protect them from corrosion which will then be rough on the seals and destroy the water tight integrity of the actuator.

My $0.02! (That's my story, and I'm stickin' too it!)

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
breausaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installation of the Bennet Trim tabs appear straight forward, it’s the fuel tank issue that concerns me. It appears removal of the fuel tanks is necessary so that you can access the hydraulic lines that run through the transom at the top of the actuators. I think the Lenco installation allows you to bring their electric lines up far enough so removal of the fuel tanks is not necessary.
My boat will always be stored dry so for that reason the Lenco are more attractive.
I’ve got no qualms about removing the fuel tanks to install the Bennet’s and perhaps I’ll go that rout; they do appear more reliable in the long run.

Good advice from everyone, I appreciate it all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: