The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

White bilge paint?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mccml

City/Region: Montoursville, PA
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Crystal Sea
Photos: Crystal C
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: White bilge paint? Reply with quote

I am finishing drilling out holes from angle brackets that were screwed into the balsa core and undercutting and filling with epoxy filler. Now I would like to paint the area that I just repaired with the same white paint that is covering the bilge area. Does anyone know what kind of paint they used at the factory?

Thanks

Mark and Carol
(Crystal Sea)
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: White bilge paint? Reply with quote

mccml wrote:
I am finishing drilling out holes from angle brackets that were screwed into the balsa core and undercutting and filling with epoxy filler. Now I would like to paint the area that I just repaired with the same white paint that is covering the bilge area. Does anyone know what kind of paint they used at the factory?

Thanks

Gell coat Wink Mr. Green Beer
mccml

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the thin white substance that looks like flat white paint is really a thin layer of white gelcoat? I am obviously new at this, I thought gel coat was the glossy substance on the surface of the fiberglass. I didn't know it would look like flat white paint.

Thanks
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mccml wrote:
So, the thin white substance that looks like flat white paint is really a thin layer of white gelcoat? I am obviously new at this, I thought gel coat was the glossy substance on the surface of the fiberglass. I didn't know it would look like flat white paint.

Thanks

Give C-Dory a call maybe a flat epoxy paint?
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, you've drilled out the holes, epoxyed them, and now want to cover the area before remounting the brackets. I don't think it matters what C-Dory put there. Why not just get some waterproof paint (epoxy or other) that matches, paint the area and reattach the brackets. That area normally doesn't get water, doesn't get walked on, and any good paint will cover it. I understand Navajo white is a good match.

Boris
mccml

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Boris, I'll try a waterproof epoxy paint.
Ramon Sr

City/Region: Elmhurst, Illinois
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Chiquitita
Photos: Chiquitita
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all the "lockers" on my boat, part of the bilge surface is sticky and everything you store in them (clothing, lifejacket, gear, etc.) gets this white uncured gelcoat on them. I've damaged lots of things with the gelcoat. I called the dealer and he told me to use mineral spirits to remove the uncured gelcoat. I followed his advise and it worked for a while and then I started seeing the white stuff again on some items. Has anyone had this problem? Any solutions would be appreciated.
Westfield 11

City/Region: Woodland Hills
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustoleum gloss garage floor coating is a two part epoxy. I coated the floors and floorboards on my Campbell restoration this summer and it was easy to put down, easy to clean up and has been oil proof and water proof so far. It is cheaper than the Marine coatings and is available at Lowe's and Home Depot.
Not a C-Dory owner but a lover of the forum and the spirit of adventure found here. This is the best small boat cruising resource I have found to date. The travelogues are very inspirational and a great reminder of why we go down to the sea in ships (or small boats).
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From our experiments on our C Dory 25, near the same vintage; the floor was finished with rolled out thickened gel coat. If you don't put gel coat against a perfect smooth and waxed surface, it will not be smooth and glossy. If you roll or paint it on, it will have to be sanded, then compounded to achieve a gloss, or you can cover it with something like Saran warp, or coat with PVA.

The cockpit of the 25 has the same finsih as the floor of the cabin (or as you call it the bilge). When we re-did the cockpit floor, we took white gel coat, added a very small amount of black and thickened it with Cabosil (fumed silica) to the consistance that it would "stand up" when rolled. If you want to "refinish", use waxed white gel coat, add a couple of drops of black, and a high quality, roller (which will not loose nap, or come apart with the polyester resin) and roll that over the existing clean floor. I would sand off the "Peaks" of the sole, since it is too agressive. Then after washing with soap and water, and a scrub brush, let it dry well, and then roll on the new finish.

You can also use any deck paint, but with the agressive finish, I suspect that most paints will not wear well.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: