The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Widespread Blistering of Hull
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carpediemvz

City/Region: Chicago
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Funky Dory
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Widespread Blistering of Hull Reply with quote

My 2006 22' Cruiser has developed blisters in the gelcoat over most of the area below the waterline. In speaking with the factory, I have been told that this is due to keeping the boat in the water during the boating season without bottom paint (in Lake Michigan). I'm new to boating, but it seems to me that boats are intended to be in water and I find nothing in the published C-Dory user info advising that bottom paint is necessary. Two questions ... (1) any other owners with this problem, and (2) what's needed to repair this damage?
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do a search on blistering you should find plenty to read. If the boat is going to be in the water for long periods it does need bottom paint.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We discussed this he other day, it was the second of Two Questions.

Let us know if you still have questions.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First please post some photos of your boat's bottom.

Second, look at your warantee and see what it says about blistering.

Third--it is not bottom paint which protects from blisters, it is epoxy barrier coat. I recommend that any boat which is bottom painted have coats of epoxy barrier paint applied. If the boat is to be kept in the water more than a couple of weeks, I feel that it should be bottom painted.

There is some chance that what you have is not osmotic blistering--and is defective gel coat. If that is the case, then you may have some recourse.
That is why I would like to see a photo. For some reason, some green gel coats have had problems in that vintage.

What to do? grind out each blister, with a carbide cutter in a die grinder. Then fill with epoxy resin and thickener of cabosil and high density filler. Sand this smooth, then sand the gel coat and apply 20 mils of epoxy barrier coat.

These problems are rare, but are reported and your dealer certainly should have had the knowlege to tell you how to care for the boat properly1 Sorry to hear about your problem!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Blisters Reply with quote

Dr. Bob provided a very good/calm response with suggestions for how to fix the problem.

If the factory indeed said "the problem is due to lack of bottom paint" I say that is complete BS. You got a bad build and they need to make good on the warranty repair. If you read the standard printed warranty for C-Dory it reads they are not responsible for anything related to water. Needless to say this is rather problematic from a boat builder! It's legal nonsense as a means to provide them the "opportunity" not to cover a repair. Thankfully in practice they have made good and repaired and replaced bad boats as necessary.

A 20 year old moored boat with blisters...sure...a 2 year old boat...no way. Only a bad build will result in blisters that soon regardless of paint. Bottom paint is for marine growth. Their building process is supposed to protect a boat from the water.

My advice is to follow up with dealer and factory as necessary to make sure they repair your boat.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO, No, NO !!! That is totally not acceptable on a 2006 boat... bottom paint or not... a good gel coat will build lots of marine growth when kept in the water for long periods of growth....but never blister...

I would have the boat looked at by a marine surveor....then talk to a marine attorney...and have him discuss the condition of the gel coat with the factory.... That is a defective gel coat ! Gel coats are NOT poris, ever.. defective ones are.

Joel
SEA3PO
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOW, NOW, CAPT. MATT,
SIT DOWN, RELAX, AND SMELL THE ROSES!
I'VE POSTED MULTIPLE COMMENTS REGARDING THIS BOAT IN-THE-WATER THING, AND HOW, IF YOU PLACE IT IN THE WATER AS PURCHASED, IT'LL FALL APART. WHAT WE NEED IS FOR DR. BOB TO TAKE OVER THE HELM AT C-DORY. I THINK HE'D HAVE THEM MARCHING IN TIME!
JUST TO BE FAIR ABOUT THE BLISTER THING, IT'S NOT JUST C-DORY THAT HAS THIS PROBLEM, I'VE EXPERIENCED THE SAME THING WITH OTHER BUILT BOATS.
ALSO, REGARDING THE WARRANTY, ONLY EXTENDS TO ORIGINAL OWNERS, ME AND THE OTHER SECOND OWNERS ARE CUT OFF AT THE KNEES.
NOW THAT YOU HAVE BEEN SITTING FOR AWHILE, YOU SHOULD NOTICE, THE SKY IS BLUER, THE WATER LOOKS CLEANER AND ALL IS WELL.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!
YOUR HUMBLE BROTHER C-BAT'R
CAPT. PATTY MY BOY, OUT!

PS: WHAT ABOUT THE UPCOMING CHESAPEAKE BAY GATHERING IN EARLY JUNE? NOW THAT'S JUST ABOUT IN YOUR BACK YARD!
ALSO, IF DR. BOB IS ON LINE, IS THIS AN EVENT WHICH YOU MIGHT ATTEND?
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think Matt was excited at all. You're the one SHOUTING!

Wink

Hope you come to our gathering in the Bay too, Patrick!

charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capt patrick campbell wrote:
I'VE POSTED MULTIPLE COMMENTS REGARDING THIS BOAT IN-THE-WATER THING, AND HOW, IF YOU PLACE IT IN THE WATER AS PURCHASED, IT'LL FALL APART

Capt Patrick, we're all aware of the problems you've had with blistering on your boat. However, I don't think the blistering problem applies to every boat that's placed in the water as you imply. I can recall one other C-Dory in the three years I've been active on this site that had a similar problem. I'm not saying C-Dory's are built perfectly but geez, to say that EVERY BOAT PLACED IN THE WATER AS PURCHASED WILL FALL APART IS AN EXTREME EXAGGERATION. (My turn to shout)

carpediemvz,

Does your CD happen to be green? Just curious.

Peter
patrick and linda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACTUALLY CHARLIE,
linda and i have talked about attending this gathering. i emailed byrdman, (nashville area) and he said it's on his schedule, as well.
i did a mapquest and it looks to be about a 9 hour (575 mi) or so drive for linda and me. that being the case we'd probably come up on wednesday, launch on thursday, check out the area, pull the boat on monday and head back to cincinnati.
we'd like to do at least three trips this season, first is to florida, leaving 04/12/2008, then the chesapeake bay trip in june and would like to squeeze in a trip to the erie canal in september. weather, time and money permitting, a lake erie trip would not be out of the question, as well.
this would be our most ambitious boating season thus far, but, as you know, we're not getting any younger and if we don't start now, then when?
now charlie, you know i don't shout, only capt. matt has this bazaar opinion of me. well, ok, maybe i do shout sometimes, but not often!
best regards
pat
ps: do you have a head count of the number of boats signed up for your trip?
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Blisters Reply with quote

Captain Pat...it's funny you mention Bob taking over C-Dory to restore quality. You know how you can buy a sports car modified by Hennessey Motor Sports or Saleen Motor Sports for example? (i.e. Hennessey Viper or Saleen Mustang) I want an "Austin Tomcat"!!

Ha ha! I would ABSOLUTELY pay more money for an Austin Tomcat. They would have to fly him out for the construction process. He would need to be there to provide direction on how to properly build, finish, and SEAL the boat. They would need an addition to the logo so buyers knew they had a modified build.
patrick and linda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi pete,
yes, my gelcoat is green. i do agree my post may have a slight flair for dramatization, but the facts speak for themselves, the bottom line is, if the manufacture has knowledge of an inherent problem, should they not take necessary steps to correct them? if epoxy prevents blisters why not apply it to each new boat as part of the overall boat building process? sure, may increase cost, but how about only passing on the net cost and not padding it with profit, how much more would it increase each unit?
this forum gives each of us the opportunity to state our opinions. i hold myself, my company, personal and professional, to the same high standards i look for in my boats. i lead by example, not any different than the majority of posters to this site. i would expect nothing less from the manufactures of the products i purchase. although, having made the above statements, i enjoy my boat, would recommend it to anyone looking for this style of boat.
hope this clears up any misunderstandings.
best regards
pat
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,
Fair enough. Nice explanation. Peace Very Happy

Peter
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it has been documented that most gel coat is porous to some degree. Virtually all boats are susceptible to some degree of blistering if left in the water long enough. That is why the barrier coat should be applied. Some builders have found ways to slow it down by using different resins, some even claim to have cured it. But none will give a lifetime warranty. Some are ten years, some shorter. Seldom will any go to a second or subsequent owner. I fought the blister battle for years with an assortment of sailboats and it is just a part of boating life if your boat is left in the water. Pats' boat may in fact be one of a few examples where the gelcoat could be defective. I can't speak to the variables of the process of producing and applying the gelcoat, just to the reality learned of years of living with blisters. Even the best of boats can have them from time to time.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt. Pat...."ps: do you have a head count of the number of boats signed up for your trip?"

About 22 "folks" right now, most with boats. Check out the Event Signups at the top of the page and the associated thread.

We'd love to have you and Linda!

Capt. Charlie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: