HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Advice on Teaking the Cabin Floor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seahooked

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: WA
Photos: SeaHooked
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Advice on Teaking the Cabin Floor Reply with quote

I'm looking for a new boat project...

I'm strongly considering putting in a teak floor in the cabin of my CD25. I believe it would look fantastic as well as level out the aggravating curve of the floor. And since I'm only 5'9", I don't mind give up two or three inches of cabin clearance.

In thinking through this project some ideas of how to proceed have come to me that I would appreciate feedback on:
- make the floor in three section for easy installation and removal.
- start with a thick quality plywood (1" thick?) as the base of the three sections.
- support the bases with ribs to take up the curvature of the floor (verify no flexing when walking on the bases at this point).
- cut channels in the ribs to allow for any water to move through to the bilge pump. Keep enough space around the edges to prevent moisture from accumulating.
- paint each section with marine primer
- after the fit and stoutness of each section is verified glue 1/4" thick teak strips to each section.

Does anyone see this project as a bad idea? Are there better ways of going about it? Are there better materials to use? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,

2006 CD-25 Cruiser "SeaHooked" 2006-2012
Al & Pat Parker

City/Region: New Bern
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Photos: Knot Home
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,
Teak is nice. Take a look at our teak projects in our album. You can make it like our cockpit, but a little tighter as you won't have to think about so much dirt, etc. As is, it's very nice on bare feet. We had some just like it in our sailboat cockpit for yrs.
I'll paste in some thoughts--
-----------------
feedback on:
- make the floor in three section for easy installation and removal.
yes, sections. If it's done right they'll be tight together, can move a little, but that's no problem.
- start with a thick quality plywood (1" thick?) as the base of the three sections.
don't see the need, plus it'd take up space (which you say you don't need, but you might have 6'-3" visitors like me)
- support the bases with ribs to take up the curvature of the floor (verify no flexing when walking on the bases at this point).
flexing shouldn't be a problem, but yes, use the cross ribs to fit the hull & make the floor flat.
- cut channels in the ribs to allow for any water to move through to the bilge pump. Keep enough space around the edges to prevent moisture from accumulating.
yes and yes. If you fit it right it'll float a little with no problem.
- paint each section with marine primer
no, why, it's teak. Just oil it occasionally.
- after the fit and stoutness of each section is verified glue 1/4" thick teak strips to each section.
use screws (ss or brass), glue (properly) if you feel the need. I didn't in the cockpit.
------------------
Teak is expensive, but very nice and long lasting. I think if I was to do an interior like the cabin, I might use "ipay" (sp?) which is another tropical wood, check out it's qualities in comparison, IIRC it's a bit heavier, much cheaper, looks almost as good, and should last as long in the cabin. The guy that sold us our teak suggested it, but we opted for what we knew.
post some pix as you get it going

on the Neuse River at New Bern
W8UT
www.boatanchors.org/C-Dory25.htm

"there is nothing -absolutely nothing- half as much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
(ratty to mole, Wind in the Willows)
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

I achieved what you are looking for, except for getting rid of the concave feeling of the floor. I bought a scrap piece of "teak and holly" flooring from www.plasteak.com It's a synthetic made from recycled 2 liter soda bottles, is about 1/4 thick and comes in a six foot wide roll, selling in linear foot sections.

They are located a few miles from me and they sold me a scrap piece for a little over a hundred dollars. It's non-skid and has a 25 year wear warranty. They sell a lot of the stuff to Sea Ray and other big name boat manufacturers. It is intended to be glued down, but I simply cut it to size and just laid it on the floor and it works great. Also, I can take it out and scrub it down on the dock (or anywhere else) with a long handled brush. It cleans easily and looks great.

I have seriously been thinking of glueing some to the cockpit floorboards for the non-skid effect, ease of cleaning and a very nautical look. I could do the cockpit for about $300, including the glue. The only problem is that they don't warranty the less expensive, indoor version that I have for outdoor use. However, one of their guys told me that he's sure that it would be okay in the cockpit of a boat that is normally covered when not in use and not in UV 100% of the time. He said that they're afraid that some guy in FL will put it on the deck of a pontoon boat and let it bake, uncovered in FL sun for years and then complain if it fails to hold up.

They also make an outdoor version that is much thicker, very pricey (like $600 plus glue and tools for a 22 footer's cockpit), and more complicated to install because it comes in narrow strips instead of a six foot wide roll.

We've had ours in the cabin for a year now, really like it and it gets lots of compliments. I have a picture of it somewhere in our album.

I, too, had considered the real thing, but even with our high top I was reluctant to lose any headroom and didn't want the hassle of caring for the teak, which I had plenty of on our sailboats.

Hope that this helps.

Regards,

Nick
"Valkyrie"
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"- start with a thick quality plywood (1" thick?) as the base of the three sections. "

I wouldn't have this type of solid base. On our 22 footer we had a nice wood cockpit deck that was built on the order of a pallet, albeit with narrower, top slats closer together. That allowed for water to seep thru and drain back to the bilge. It was easy to lift out on occasion and hose the glass deck.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick-

Your floor looks really good!

I thought I'd post a photo of your floor for others to see more easily.

Teak and Holly Sole. It's really Plasteak from www.plasteak.com. Made from plastic milk jugs and has 25 year wear warranty. Non-skid.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not use one inch plywood. This adds a fair amount of weight. If you are going to put in ribs, then put in limber holes to allow water to drain fore and aft. 1/2" plywood, with either 1/4" teak and holly vineer glued over it, should be thick enough (especially with the ribs which stiffen it. Coat all of the plywood and the ribs with epoxy to prevent rot or water damage.

Teak and holly vineer is very thin. If you use it, I advise coating with epoxy and then a few coats of UV protecting urethane varnish. The epoxy will prevent dings and having to sand out stains.

An alternative is to use teak parket (not as available as it once was). When we were boat building we made our own solid teak and "holly" floors. We used 1/2" teak x 1.25" wide and 5/8" thick and 3/8" wide hard rock maple. The maple (white like hollly) was traditionally laid "proud" of the teak, so that there was some resistance to slipping as the boat rolled or heeled. We contoured the teak to the hull, but if that is an agrivation (it is not for us) then the idea of the ribs is fine.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
K7MXE

City/Region: Eatonville
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Lois H
Photos: Lois H
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Teak Parket Reply with quote

Like Dr Bob said the Teak Parket squares are not easy to find
however I never did find enough for a project so if you find any
keep in mind I have 13 squares of one foot across and I got it
from someone who did not find any more either. Finished it is pure
class just hard to find. Bob Heselberg Eatonville Wa
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks Nice--- I already have some on order for the new boat.
C-Hawk will be a "Channel Islands Edition" with the flooring.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the cockpit and cabin floors on a CD22 and you can find pictures in the Kingfisher album.

Comes out much cheaper if you use standard mahogany strips from the lumber yard and apply many coats of poly.
All joints were screwed (stainless) and epoxied

Merv

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a sneaky way to get someone to go through your album looking for these pix. Very nice!!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie, I think I was just feeeling "grumpy" because yesterday was the day that we had to hitch Kingfisher up to someone else's truck and watch her disappear into the sunset to her new life. Anyway she is now part of the Oregonian contingent and will hopefully re-appear at many CBGTs in the PNW.
Her new owners, Bob and Darlene York reported that they got home safely after an epic first voyage including a ferry ride and a trip through Seattle on I5.

Merv & Kathy (temporarily boatless in Seattle)
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really impressed !!! neat stuff..... I looked at the imitation stuff at the SBS this year and it looks good.... now I see it looks great in the boat.... I will be really impressed when I see it installed in C-Halk (C-Hawk)....when and if it arrives... May ??

Joel
SEA3PO
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEA3PO wrote:
....when and if it arrives... May ?? Joel
SEA3PO

GGGggrrrrr Angry
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger and Joel:

Did both of you order the Plasteak? When I was at their office/store last year I encouraged the owner to work the SBS because we were very impressed with it in '07. I think that Miami is the only one that I have attended that is bigger.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, our local dealer, who is also a Catalina dealer is installing Rogers and is going to offer a special "Channel Islands Issue" upgrade..
to include more teak trim and special features.... cool idea...

Gotta say, he really goes about everything first class.... and I am totally amazed at how well he has taken care of Roger and the ill fated Fishtales.... Plus he paid for a heck of a fine dinner at Catalina last year... (that bill would have given me the vapors)

Joel
SEA3PO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: