The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Boat scratch repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingfisher

City/Region: Gig Harbor, WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Misbehavin
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Boat scratch repair Reply with quote

Has anyone found a good product for repairing light scratches in the color band that surrounds the 22 cruiser?

Thanks
David&Joni
Misbehavin
Chivita

City/Region: Hansville
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Chivita
Photos: Chivita
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BROCK? Calling Brock!

I don't know if you can get him to share his closely held secrets on how to keep a C-Dory looking brand new, but this question is right up his alley!

Come on Brock, share with your fellow brats! We've seen your boat, either you won't let it near ANY sharp objects or you know every trick in the book!

I have heard that Brock carries a sling shot for use against approaching seagulls, or was that approaching Jetskiers?
Wheeler Dealer

City/Region: Wheeler, OR
State or Province: OR
Photos: Denebola
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been using the color match kit I got from jip-o-joes. The color is very hard to match and will always be darker after it drys. I use precise measurments and allow to dry until I have a good match, then mix a batch to put on the boat.

If there is a better way for touch ups, I too would like to know Very Happy.

Jon

Catman

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chivita, here's my secret: Keep the boat in a garage, under a full canvas cover, and only use it a couple times a year. That way one avoids scratches and wetness, the twin pillars of evil.

More seriously, I guess I just clean it up after every use, and try to avoid the sun. That devilish bit of brightness above can give Bambina skin cancer too, you know. And I always try to be well-fendered before docking, so when the little ship gets tossed, her side rests softly on her pillows.

Scratches keep me from a good night's sleep, and I figure were conceived by a malevolent force to test my conceptions about what is important in life. While the force may not be with me, I think I've found a good psychotherapist. To the rescue comes two products from 3M, one a jug of $18 polish, the other, of course, wax. The polish removes a host of undesirables, and isn't as gritty as more coarse options intended to remove years of sun and neglect. The polish will remove existing wax, making rewax necessary. As always, do the above without rings, zippers, and other metal wearables. Problem is, deeper scratches stay intact. The factory is slated to address a few of mine in August.
kingfisher

City/Region: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Misbehavin
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help folks,

Believe it or not these scratches came from the yard that I had put a brand new coat of bottom paint on this past week. I'm hoping the polish idea works because they are not to deep.
Now the deep ones I have, as a result of dock miscalculations, I wear as a badge of honor...at least I was out playing in the boat! Very Happy

Thanks Again
David & Joni
Misbehavin Very Happy
Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For light scratches to the color trim band (from fenders, etc.) I've had great results using two products: GS27 automotive scratch remover in your color (our's is blue), available from any auto parts or major discount store (Target, WalMart, etc.), and 303 Aerospace Protectant, available from West Marine, or other marine stores.

Apply the GS27 first, per instructions. If you want to see how long this stuff lasts, drop a dab on the driveway, in an out of the way place. It lasts a LONG time, and when it fades on the driveway, it's about time to give the boat another shot.

After the GS27, apply 303 to the stripe. It will give a gloss which makes it very hard to see the fine scratches I think you're talking about, and protects against UV. I, like some others, use it on the whole boat. It's easy to apply, and if you keep it up, it's supposed to be a 100% uv block. It probably isn't 100%, but it seems to do a pretty good job. Only caution is that it makes surfaces very smooth. So, you have to watch where you try to get traction with your shoes.

Good luck on the facial.

Levity

City/Region: Shippensburg
State or Province: PA
Vessel Name: Levity
Photos: Levity
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
Returned from a trip to Occaquon, Va. this weekend to find my C-Dory with a couple of nasty scratches on the starboard side of the hull, into the bottom gelcoat, and very near the bow. These were caused by an experiment in launching the boat which involved attempting to submerge the trailer until the boat floated off. When the trailer is submerged enough to cause the stern to float free the boat and trailer lose their parallel relationship and the bow (being lowered by the rising stern) makes contact with the end of the main trailer beam (opposite the tongue). A short but very ugly scratch of the gelcoat results from this unwanted contact.
Now the question arises; "How am I gonna fix this?" Research provided some answers and I remembered this thread and wanted to add what I've learned. Spectrum Color www.spectrumcolor.com 253/735/1830 (speak to Danni) is the supplier of gelcoat to C-Dory. They have patching kits available with the correct color match to C-Dory gelcoat (less fading). If you have a recent boat and it is blue the color number is 17002-953LA357. This number can be found on the front page of the C-Dory owners manual.
I know I will always remember to keep my boat and trailer relationship in perfect parallel harmony from now on!
Levity's Michael
stevej

City/Region: Gaston
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Photos: Shearwater
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to bring back that factory new shine and depth of color you should to step through a series of abrasive levels.

For heavy (no gelcoat damage) scratches you can use the following steps.

1) 600 wet and dry sandpaper (use wet with a small wood block to stay flush with surface)
2) rubbing compound (3M fiberglass restorer works)
3) polishing compound (most any auto parts store will carry)
4) clearcoat swril remover (most any auto parts store will carry)
5) Nu-Finish or clear coat wax (most any auto parts store will carry)

I typically use steps 3-5 for a once a year full wax. A good quality buffer (stress here is on good) makes the job tolerable. Lot of work but the end result is something else.

stevej

1995 25' Cruise Ship #3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: