View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steven Dore

City/Region: Ocean Marine - Portsmouth, VA
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Orca
Photos: Orca
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Unstable Dinette Table Reply with quote

While using the boat over the weekend, including a few hours with the three grandkids, the dinette table became unstable due to the clips on the outboard end of the table top coming out of their fittings. Each time, the clips came out due to someone placing their hands on the corner of the table. Not only is this inconvenient, but it is a hazard since the person at the table lost their balance when the table shifted abruptly.

Has anyone else experienced this? Also, does anyone have a cure for the problem?

Steve
Chuckpacific

City/Region: SW PDX
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Big Sky
Photos: Big Sky
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven,

I also had the unstable-table blues and have discovered that when installing the table I need to seat the clips on the outboard end of the table into their fittings with a mighty 'whack' of my fist. That may not be the technically appropriate answer but the table has worked fine ever since.

Chuck
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, have had the same problem, resulting in a broken ankle. The thread is http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=217 There are links to some pictures.

I've put in handrails above on both sides and will put a very short self tapping SS screw through the bracket to hold the two in place. Won't be hard to take out when we want to lower the table which isn't often.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Moxieabs

City/Region: Cape Neddick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Widget
Photos: Widget
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Unstable table Reply with quote

After hearing about broken ankles with tippy tables I installed a stainless fastpin (3/16x1/2) by drilling a hole in the table el- bracket using the existing hole in the wall bracket. Fast pins have a ring in one end and a detent ball in the other. Wish I had a picture to post but can't remember to take the camera to the marina. It is an easy matter to pull the pins when you want the table to come loose. Much easier to drill the brackets off the table and on a drillpress. West Marine has the pins in stock.
Steven Dore

City/Region: Ocean Marine - Portsmouth, VA
Vessel Name: Orca
Photos: Orca
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I also went back and looked at the posts in November from the accident on Captain's Choice. I will modify my table this weekend.

Note to the folks at C-Dory if you happen to read this. Considering the number of owners that have experienced this problem; changing the table attachment system on any future boats would seem like the smart thing to do. Also, it would be cheaper than a lawsuit, since there must be at least one C-Dory out there that is owned by a lawyer!

Steve
Jeff M

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are trying a couple of different attachments. The change will be made in the next month. I will post what we come up with.

Thanks for the input,

Jeff

MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads up to those of you who thought Moxieabs fastpin idea was a good one, as I did. The pins are being discontinued by WM, but one of their warehouses still has 70 in stock, actually 68 since I just ordered two of them. So buy now, if you're interested.
Al
Doug / Liberty Call

City/Region: Brownsville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Liberty Call
Photos: Liberty Call
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Table locks Reply with quote

I had the same problem with the table latches and found that by slightly bending the two blade at a more acute angle they regained their ability to lock in tight. Try holding the front (side away from the bulkhead) of the table down low while inserting the blades into the sockets and, as the table is raised, extend the leg and it will snap in tight. Hold off on the "table dances" and this should fix the problem.

Doug
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's another kind of fastpin, same size as MOXIABS used that has a sping pushbutton on it. A little "dear" at $18.99 but no ring sticking out. Ordered two for Captain's Choice via the internet.

Charlie
Moxieabs

City/Region: Cape Neddick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Widget
Photos: Widget
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Unstable tables Reply with quote

I finally remembered the camera but now I don't now how to do the nerd stuff and link it to this message. If you're interested, you can view the table fix on page 2 of my album. Also, a quick way to have a drink table in the motor well.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This weekend was the first time we moved took our table down, and I thought about this discussion as I did it. The tangs on our table are bent inward somewhat, so the leg has to be folded and the inboard side of the table lowered 3 - 4 inches to get them to slide up and out of the pockets. I don't know if it was done intentionally, but they stay tightly engaged when the table is in place. When reinstalling the table, there is a bit of resistance to lift the outboard end up high enough to get the leg over the edge of the socket on the floor, so the tangs are pretty snug in there. The table in the 1996 CD25 is a good four feet from the wall to the inboard end, and it has the single leg, but it has never rattled or came out of the hangers. So maybe the fix is as simple as bending the hanger tangs a bit.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While at the Lopez gathering I had moderate difficulty with removing the dinette table in order to make up the bed, but Bill came over and showed me how to "bang" on it in order to get it out of the "table position".
The 2nd night at Lopez, I had no problem with it.

HOWEVER.........this weekend we went to Blakely Island....on Friday night AFTER...most folks had gone to sleep on their vessels in the marina I had GREAT difficulty in removing the table. My final effort saw me lying on my back under the table with my head to the port side and my boot (on my foot!) banging up on the rear catch of the table while Jessica supported the aisle edge of the table at a slight angle.........STILL DIDN'T succeed in seperating the "catch". SO AFTER PROBABLY WAKENING every one in the marina with my BANGING around, and after breaking into a SWEAT with my efforts....I finally got a screwdriver and removed the portion attached to the table.

Saturday night I was much quieter, as I reached for the screwdriver immediately to take the table down.

OBVIOUSLY, it is time for me to CHANGE that "set-up".

C-Brat #16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: