The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Camper back ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Camper back ideas Reply with quote

Having a camper back installed on the Triple J April 14th, a week after I return from the lower 48 with her in tow.
I’ve looked at a lot of the camper backs in the albums and see most boats stop at the stern of the cockpit, but a few extend all the way aft. At least one 22 has the top extending all the way aft with the rear canvas stopping at the stern of the cockpit.
Most of our boating will be spent on weekend and extended weekend cruising and exploring, with a little fishing thrown in. Between boat adventures the Triple J will be stored on a trailer in my yard.

I’d like to make the best choice up front and value everyone’s feedback.
So if its not asking too much, some pros and cons associated with the different choices would be great.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking

Last edited by breausaw on Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,

Initially, we went with the factory canvas and although it was well-made, we were disappointed in the protection that it provided, both from rain and sun, especially from aft.

We had some custom canvas made that extends all the way to the transom, but when the back panel is attached, it snaps in at mid-splashwell to avoid contact with the engines and so on. We find that this has afforded great protection to the cockpit and easily doubles the usable, livable space of the boat.

Also, ours is freestanding and it doesn't have to connect to the cabin top in order to be used, although we have a panel that does connect to the top for use in rain. With the connecting panel removed, in hot weather a breeze can reach us while seated in the cockpit at anchor and there is a nice air flow into the cockpit while running.

Also, I'm 6'3" and our bimini is 6'8" off the cockpit floor. Our canvas guy suggested this height and I was reluctant to go that high with it, but deferred to his experience (he's done work for us before on our sailboat) and am glad that we did. This provides a much roomier and open feel and many people who are shorter than me have commented on the room in the cockpit.

Our screens are sewn in and the plastic side and rear panels roll up and are secured with straps with snaps. The whole package was pricey, but we are very glad that we went this route.

Hope this helps. Pictures are in our album.

Regards,

Nick
"Valkyrie"
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Canvas Reply with quote

Jay,

The camper back on Constant Craving stops right at the end of the cockpit. The pro here is that it is fairly easy to install from the inside. The con is that you need to open up a little bit to get to the lazarettes (battery switch on our boat). One thing to consider is whether or not you are going to get the cooler rack that sits back into the splash well. If you do, get it installed prior to having your canvas sewn so they can consider its dimensions when putting things together.

Nick mentioned screens, and I have heard a couple of folks say that they found them to be an irritant, and cut them out after a season or two. I don't have any experience with them, but we went without screens.

I highly recommend that you get a camper back that has an entry zipper close to the cabin. This allows you to unzip and step down into the cockpit from the dock. We don't have that, and we end up getting down on hands and knees to get aboard. Like Nick, I am fairly tall, and his point about getting the top tall enough is important.

Steve
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,

Steve makes some good points that I missed. One is the access zipper near the cabin - we have them and they are a great help. Two: also good advice about a cooler rack or anything that may be added that may cause a problem/conflict with the canvas. Case in point: I would really like to add flush-mount rod holders aft on each lazerette, but the base for the canvas precludes this. Install any additional items before the canvas is made.

Another idea that I wish we had thought of before install, but something that can be remedied. Have reinforced loops or SS rings of some kind sewn into the top for hanging wet gear on hangers.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the camper back made to extend all the way to the stern for Fishtales and will be the same for C-Hawk.
It provides access to the lazerettes and makes the cockpit seem larger when enclosed with the canvas.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good advice, especially with respect to the cooler rack and having an access zipper near the cabin. I plan on installing a cooler rack but won’t have time, so for this reason I’m gravitating toward the full length.
Also thinking of having a clear section installed in the roof to act as a sky light, but not sure if this can be done; In Alaska too much sun is usually not an issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: