The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Window Curtains/Covers for a TC255 - Where to buy?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Window Curtains/Covers for a TC255 - Where to buy? Reply with quote

I need something to cover the windows and the glass door of the TC 255 on the inside for privacy CoolSmile . It came with sunbrella covers for the head windows that snap on and I thought I'd continue that theme. Another Brat said he bought some from King but the quality wasn't up to what he thought it should be. He also removed the corner top window screws and replaced them with the male part of a stainless Snap Assy and put the female part on the curtain, also sounds like a good idea. Idea

Does anyone know if any of the canvas mfrs have templates for the TC 255 windows? If so, I'd order a set, without any snaps. And, if you don't mind my asking, how much you paid if you bought any?

Thanks...

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
helm

City/Region: Medford
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Chack Chack
Photos: Chack Chack
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got nothing but high quality work and great service from Dave and King Marine canvas for all the canvas work on our CD-25.
Eric
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charlie,

We have the King window covers on Wild Blue. They are top quality, sunbrella - look good, function well. With the regular use we have given them, we have had to replace a couple snaps, and added snaps to the middle of the long side window covers to keep them from sagging. As I recall, the price was around $600, which seemed very expensive to us.

We would have made the covers ourselves had we not been picking the boat up at the factory, with the intent of immediately cruising. The window covers would not be hard to make: some paper to use as a template, and buy matching sunbrella; Cut out the fabric, sew black edging on, and install the snaps. Joan made a cover for the v-berth hatch when we got home. She ordered the sunbrella from a local canvas shop at $25 per yard, and also made a sunbrella bag for the (rolled up) camperback (when not being used) and a motor cover.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does Jim, thanks. I'll call King on Monday. Maybe if they don't have to put snaps on it (I can do that), it'll be cheaper. Rolling Eyes

Also thinking about the less expensive material like This, enter product # 754964 in upper left corner, the direct link won't work!
instead of Sunbrella. It's 7 Oz per sq Yard, almost as heavy and less than half as expensive. It's from Defender. Couldn't find a comparable item in the West Marine Catalog.

Charlie
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got our window coverings from King Marine. Actually, it would have been cheaper to get them when we got the boat. However, the work was good, and they supplied the snaps for me to install. I installed the front window covering on the inside, even though it was sized for the outside. I didn't want to crawl outside, upfront to install it. Worked well.

The gentleman operates out of his cell phone. As far as I can figure he has no office. He was helpful, and way cheaper than getting it done in San Diego.

Boris
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

Jim B. has the right idea and process. If you have a seamstress around the house, they come out wonderfully and lots cheaper, even with Sunbrella.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had made several comments about canvas work to Charlie. My comment about the "curtains" were: "The sumbrella "curtains" are OK--but the re-enforcements are not in the correct places". I was not happy with the workmanship on the camper back for the C Dory 25. I used King because I didn't have time to have my local canvas shop do the work--long story. The back did not fit properly, the raw edeges of the Sunbrella was not properly hot knifed or sealed, and started to unravel, the finish work was not to the quality of our local canvas shop (Pedersen Marine Canvas, Pensacola). I am going to have to have some of the back redone--or do it my self.

I had a quote for a slant back for the C Dory 25, which I thought was very high--and I will do this myself.

To put this in perpective; I have done some of my own canvas work and sail work for along time, but working with heavy clear vinly is more than my machine will do easily

I got two sets of "curtains" for my Tom Cat--shipped from the factory as a "gift" or "premium" because I had done my own repairs on the defects on the new Tom Cat (along with two C Dory Caps). The first set of window coverings were the wrong color, so they sent another set, and said to keep the first set. I used the first set on the CD 25 (basically same size windows). I don't know how the "factory" sets up the window coverings, but as Charlie said, I removed the corner screws on the inside of the corners of the windows, and in the center of the side windows. I replaced these with the male snap fasteners. I sewed in my own extra re-inforcements, since the "Factory" re-inforcements were not in the correct place. I also like to insert a piece of 8 oz dacron sail cloth inbetween the layers of Sunbrella to give better tear resistance. I also put the hole thru the Sumbrella & Dacron with a hot knive (soldering iron)--again to prevent tearing. (since these window covers were "free" I shouldn't complain...) I use a fitting on square jaw Vise Grips to set the snaps. It is just as fast and good quality as a dedicated tool. There are a number of dyes which work with all of the variious types of snaps.

60" Sunbrella is $17.75 a yard, 46" Sunbrella is $14.50, Sunbrella plus (urethane coating on the back in 60" is $22.75 a year and Sunbrella 1" binding is $.35 a foot (or you can turn the cloth back over, which I prefer to do for the hem and re-inforcement) from Sail Rite. http://www.sailrite.com/ I stick with Sunbrella, because it matches the interior, is very sun light fade resistant, and wears well (we figure 10 years out of a cover with re-stitching.

Patterns are fairly easy to make for the windows. Newspaper, craft paper or wrapping paper can all be used.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,
I know everyone likes the matching fabric, but consider a lighter color for the inside privacy shades to make the cabin seem brighter in the evenings. I used a cream colored fabric called "Top Gun" and have been very happy with it. It is much stiffer and stronger than Sunbrella, required no additional reinforcement and was cheaper. It was easy to sew on a home machine and since it is coated it doesn't need a hot knife to seal edges. I used the corner screw technique like others.

matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Curtains Reply with quote

Charlie - did you every find a place for this work? I'm looking to do the same on my Tomcat. I wanted to check the pricing for the interior sunbrella fitted with snaps, etc.

Thanks

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never really looked hard Matt. Still considering what to do.

Charlie
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAVU wrote:
Charlie,
I know everyone likes the matching fabric, but consider a lighter color for the inside privacy shades to make the cabin seem brighter in the evenings. I used a cream colored fabric called "Top Gun" and have been very happy with it. It is much stiffer and stronger than Sunbrella, required no additional reinforcement and was cheaper. It was easy to sew on a home machine and since it is coated it doesn't need a hot knife to seal edges. I used the corner screw technique like others.

KEN-

Nice find!

I've been looking for a material like this that would look good, require only good cutting technique with scissors, no hot-knifing, and no hemming of the edges.

Will it accommodate the common upholstery/canvas snaps used on Sunbrella fabrics so that it can be quickly snapped into place with the complimentary fittings held in place by the existing window frame screws?

Here's a source of information and prices I found for "Top Gun Fabric". Do you have a better one?

Thanks for a great find!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, welcome back! We missed you... Love

Right now, I'm sitting here with my transplant knee hurting like he... and that's after 4 years or so. Hope you have better luck. It was a full titanium transplant and has never been totally pain free. Every once in awhile, I come down wrong on it and it pains me something awful for a couple of months or so. It's somewhat permanantly swollen too....

Not good. I think I'll go back to the Dr but he's no longer in business so I'll have to find a new one.

Keep up with the range of motion exercises, I did but still can't kneel on that knee.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread, back to the Prop Issue!

Charlie
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang it, Charlie, sorry to read that the knee still giving you trouble. Three fingers instead of two -- GOOD single malt scotch will help. Wink Works for me - whatever hurts.

And Joe - I've been off the air for a while and just read about your knee replacement. All best wishes for a rapid recovery -- and remember, everything hurts more when you get older. Just ask Charlie!

Dusty

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie-

Sorry to hear about your knee.

I actually have a new hip, not a knee, which I've been told is usually less problematic.

Anyway, pain is a part of life when you're older, and I've come to accept it.

I just don't want to be forced to give up any of my great boating hobbies as a result of these issues.

Good thing the titanium hip bone and socket aren't magnetic, or they could mess up my compass and other more sophisticated electronic displays.

Guess I'll have to get one of those cards that gives me an Official Permit to Carry a Concealed Orthopedic Device During Air Travel. Wouldn't want to have to be strip searched and X-Rayed on the conveyor belt for every trip!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Karr in Oak Harbor built the camper back for my TC255. I am very pleased. He made 2 sets of panels for me, one with eisenglas windows and one with screens. I don't know if he worked from patterns that he saved but you can call him at (360) 929-8600. I found him through Les at EQ.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: