The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Options on the R-25

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pauley

City/Region: south texas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: My Lady of the Wake
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Options on the R-25 Reply with quote

I'm thinking about this boat and if I were to buy one what options i would need to get installed at the factory .

first is the bow and stern thrusters ..are they nessary ? do they work well and do you need both front and back ?

next does the A/C keep the cabin cool ? does it mount on the roof ? will it run off of the motor and or the generator ? how noisey is it and the generator?

and howabout the navagation package , does it work well for this boat ?

are there any other things that i should ask the factory to do that are not on there option list ?

is the swim platform lenght included in the 24'7" lenght overall or added to ?

thanks for any advice or comments that may be of use.

..............................................Pauley.......... Question Smile Laughing Thumbs Up
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pauley, welcome to the site. As for your questions, others can answer them better but here's a few thoughts.

first is the bow and stern thrusters ..are they nessary ? do they work well and do you need both front and back ? Not necessary but very nice. Saw a R25 go sideways into a berth against the wind with a couple knot current running bow to stern.

next does the A/C keep the cabin cool ? does it mount on the roof ? will it run off of the motor and or the generator ? how noisey is it and the generator? The A/C is a marine type, not roof mounted, uses cooling water from the ocean/river, etc. It's AC, you need either shore power or the genset (110V) or one heck of a big inverter and lots of batteries. I'm sure it's very quiet. It's sized for the boat so I'm sure it does a great job.

and how about the navagation package , does it work well for this boat ? Will let those that have the package answer this.

are there any other things that i should ask the factory to do that are not on there option list ? I'd get other stuff installed locally or do it yourself, lots to be learned about the boat that way.

is the swim platform lenght included in the 24'7" lenght overall or added to ? probably not...

You should PM or email ACUSTIS, he's our factory guy for the Rangers.

Good luck!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1243754555/bclid1305014067/bctid1435949946

Check this out......We can also address your questions here . Marc or Charlie .
Marc

commander bill

City/Region: Centre
State or Province: AL
Vessel Name: LenaBell
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought new R25 recently. 16000 BTU Marine AC is very efficient & you can hang meat in cabin. Swim platform is beyond 25 foot length. By the way it is very strong. I think 3 men sould easily stand on it with no problem.

I got both Thrusters. Marc had to urge me to go with that option. After I got them I felt so dumb. Boat takes no skill to dock with them. A caveman could do it. Without them you could place yourself in frequent embarrsing situation. You might get by with only one but with both all observers will assume you have years of experience.

I did not get nav package. Some regrets but I think I can install myself for less $$$$. The money wsa better spent on thrusters
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of your questions are already answered. My comments are based on one of the early boats. I would definately order the bow and stern thrusters, even though the boat handles very well without them. The resale will be better, plus ease of docking.

The generator was noisey. Hopefully that has been fixed. 16000 BTU is a lot of air conditioning for a 25 foot boat! I use only 8300 in my Tom Cat and 5000 in the CD 25, comperable sized cabins. I am sure that the 16000 gets the boat much colder, but it will not run on a single Honda generator--it would take at least a 3 KW or two EU 2000 i gensets. I would look around and find the quietest generator.

The advantage of having the factory install electronics, is the routing of cables, will probably be better concealed. I have always put in my own electronics--and I like a little more than screen size than the factory single screen. But it will be adequate. There is a lot of new instrumentation out this year: Furuno NavNet 3, Raymarine G and the latest Garmin HD. Lowrance Broad band depth finders etc. I would buy the latest technology.

As for slip length--many marinas charge for from the tip of the anchor to the end of the swim step.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
pauley

City/Region: south texas
State or Province: TX
Vessel Name: My Lady of the Wake
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all of the good information fellas ....

a few more questions . I'm sure that the 150 HP motor is the way to go .

how does this boat handle in different conditions like wind, rain and ruff water ?

what is the longest trip that somebody has taken in an R-25? how many days ?

and what is the best color ?

what are the best reasons for owning this boat instead of brand X or boat Z ???

....................Pauley. Surprised Shocked Question Idea Thumbs Up
commander bill

City/Region: Centre
Vessel Name: LenaBell
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boat is a newer boat (Hull # 67) and Genset is pretty loud. Genset is only 2.5KW but since it is diesel can handle starting surges better than gas generator of same size (both will have same normal operating capacity). 16000 KW AC does seem oversized but my understanding is original AC was smaller and was considered marginal for southern florida. On 85 degree days it is way over needed capacity. AC is smooth & relatively quite.

Rent for slips where I will be keeping boat in Tennessee are based on length of slip rather than length of boat. On Watts Bar lake they are much lower than what most of you pay.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only gas generators I have owned are portables (including 5 KW)--but I have owned a number diesel generators.

Wondered why a diesel generator would handle a start up load better than a gas generator?

I am surprised that they have not resolved the noise problem with the genset. It is certainly fairly easy to do--and if the factory has not, then the owner can build a plywood enclosure, with a blower for cooling, and sound insullation mylar/foam/vinly lead/foam mylar of 1" or even more if necessary with baffles for air which will knock the noise way down.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
The only gas generators I have owned are portables (including 5 KW)--but I have owned a number diesel generators.

Wondered why a diesel generator would handle a start up load better than a gas generator?

I am surprised that they have not resolved the noise problem with the genset. It is certainly fairly easy to do--and if the factory has not, then the owner can build a plywood enclosure, with a blower for cooling, and sound insullation mylar/foam/vinly lead/foam mylar of 1" or even more if necessary with baffles for air which will knock the noise way down.

Bob, don't know for sure but would opine that it has to do with torque of a diesel, it may not bog down like a gas engine when a heavy load is put on it. I know on a gas genset, if you draw too much, it simply trips off the line (breakers) or stalls.

Charlie
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This discussion inspires me to ask if the hull design of the R25 enables it to comfortably handle bigger waves than the C25 or TC255?

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie, I would agree that the diesel has more torque--but if either generator is properly designed it will pop a breaker rather than slow down.

Actually my house generator puts out about 50 amps 220. When I switch it over, sometimes I forget to turn off the jacuzzi. It does not stop the engine--that leg of the 220 circuit breaker pops.

I have also had diesel generators where the breaker pops if it is overloaded. I also had one diesel, where I had to manually override the governer in order to bring the watermaker and refigeration compressor at the same time, once they were past the start up--I would allow the governer to take over. I admit this was not the best, but it was what I had and it worked daily for 4 years.
captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, Bet you mean BTU's not KW
captd

2007 25 R Ranger (Mis Dee) sold 2008
2009 25 R Ranger (Lucky Fin) sold
1994 22 ft C-Dory ( Kon Tiki )
Turner Marine
Dealer

City/Region: Mobile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Ranger Tug options Reply with quote

hi,

in response to your questions about the genset, airconditioning, etc. on a Ranger Tug 25......there are many ways you may proceed regarding factory options or dealer installed options or owner installed options.

We are a Ranger Tug dealer located on the central gulf coast in Mobile, Alabama. Along with our marina and yard facility, we have a technical service staff specializing in Marine Air conditioning, Mase gensets (the factory option types) plus we are the regional factory trained techs for Adler Barbour refrig, Raymarine, Fischer Panda, etc.

Our service staff has over 100 years of experience in all types of marine installations. Please feel free to visit our website at www.turnermarine.com. We will be glad to help you no matter where you might be located.

best regards,

keith turner
www.turnermarine.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: