The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cummins QSD 150 hp / R-25
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acustis
Ranger Tugs Factory Rep

City/Region: Puyallup
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Cummins QSD 150 hp / R-25 Reply with quote

I was responding to the original thread posted. I am looking at Henry's specs and his location. Sorry about the confusion.
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT-SEA-BIT-C wrote:
OK brats, not trying to start an arguement here, i"ve never owned a boat with a diesel, but i have been operating heavy equiptment since i was old enough to reach the pedals & levers, and can personaly gaurentee you that all that engine RPM talk is mostly a bunch of bull. i own & have owned many different diesel engines with THOUSANDS of hours on em , most machines i "ve bought used with well over 1000 hrs on them . many times in winter i"ll start up say /dozer / excavator/back hoe......... and one may idle for 6 or 7 hrs & get used for 1 or 2 per day and they run fine , a good yanmar example is a small john deere tractor loader i use all the time i"ts small & gets used mostly to squeze in tight spots like in foundations....etc. because it"s only a yan 30 (low power) it basically has lived life at 2 rpms wide open or idle and has done so for well over a grand and still will for many more hrs of abuse ,. Most of the big horse power stuff sits on the pump limit (governer) -(wot) whatever you want to call it or chugs along a bit above idle for days , weeks ,months on end / run just fine. yea you have to clean - em out - rev -em - up get -em hot once in a while - maintain -em . but its kinda funny to hear everyone talkin about such & such a rpm so& so hrs bla bla bla turbos factory manual says ........ ha ha ha..... trust me them diesels will take more abuse than any other elect. gas. or plastic junk we have on our boats. THATAWAY - i dont think they did all that much to squeze new 150 into the 25 mabey motor mounts , doubt they changed shaft, rudder, or probably even the prop for that matter, but who knows , they could do same for 21........ john

John, there were several interesting tech articles in Passagemaker about a year ago in which Steve d'Antonio, the tech editor, explored this issue in detail. Long story short, it appears that engine speed is important to marine diesels. I'm no mechanic, so can't argue one way or another, but d'Antonio backs up his opinions with data that might be of interest to you.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sucribe to passagenaker and Steve's articles are entertaining , and somewhat informative, just take most of it with a grain of salt . I 'm just trying to say if you maintain diesels well they are pretty darn hard to hurt at any RPM & will last longer than anything on the boat , cept mabey the anchor Laughing
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to have to disagree with it-sea. The older type of tractor engines which were low speed, non turbo were almost bullet proof. But they do have problems and require careful maintance: filtered fuel, oil changes in the injection pumps (Simm's pumps). Today most of what you buy are highly turboed, they live in a salt air environment, they are often not run for months and then run hard. Some marine engines are tractor conversions--but many are not. The engines as in the Ranger 25 are turboed, they run at high speed (Acustis notes he has run one at over 4000 RPM). These engines have to be run up to temperature and the turbo spooled up to prevent carbon deposition (and some other problems)
I have had personal discussions of Bob Smith of American Marine Diesel, who has been one of the largest distributers of marine diesels for many years about the longivity of the high speed, lightweight diesels, and they are not going to give the 10,000 to 15,000 hours without problems which the slow tractor engines have in the past. 2,000 to 3,000 hours before major work appears to be common--if they are not abused. If you look at many of the high speed boats running diesels often they have been replaced or rebuilt in a few years or a few thousand hours. The sport fishers who run high speed turboed engines; rebuild the turbos every few thousand hours on a regular basis. The boat diesel running a boat at semi-displacement speeds is like a truck going up a steep grade all of the time.

Yes, you can run the engines at lower speeds, but you have to bring the engine up to operating temperature, plus every few hours bring up to at least 85% of WOT.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As funny as it may sound I also have to AGREE , with Bob disagreeing with me.( I highly value your opinions Bob ) Ihave 3 newer machines with turbo's and i gotta tell ya between besides the salt water enviorment , you wouldn,t believe the the enviorment they live in , crappy old fuel , usually watter logged, dust plugged raditators,cold temps in winter, and the list goes on............. So thats what i base my posts on. believe me when i tell you it"s not easy keeping up maintance of a small fleet of equiptment, especially when the push is on. stuff goes way past due, looking back on most of my posts my fingers are not really gettin what my brain is trying to say on the screen, i"m realizin that i need to work on that or i"ll have to stop posting, cause it isn"t commin out right. mabey i should have just said todays diesels if maintained properly & operated correctly will be very reliable . in my exp.just the oppsite generaly occours & the motors are still unbelievably reliable. tryin to help but i"m thinkin about hangin up hat sorry brats for any bad advice it was never intended ............... John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: