The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

self-bailing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaseCampAnne

City/Region: San Diego/Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA COASTER
Photos: SEA COASTER
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: self-bailing? Reply with quote

I noticed today that water is underneath the table and sliding seat area. Is there somewhere I might read up on the self-bailing feature? I have what places water congregates and what kicks on the self bailer since I see no switch, etc.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: self-bailing? Reply with quote

Water on the floor in the cabin is a Bad Thing. Maybe a little Bad Thing, maybe a big Bad Thing. There are quite a few threads on this, ranging from minor annoyance to a big deal. You might want to let your dealer know and have them take a look...there is no magic switch you can push unfortunately. The question is not how to get the water out but how did it get there in the first place, and how are you going to fix it?

BaseCampAnne wrote:
I noticed today that water is underneath the table and sliding seat area. Is there somewhere I might read up on the self-bailing feature? I have what places water congregates and what kicks on the self bailer since I see no switch, etc.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the new 22s, but in an older 22, water on cabin
floor could be from:

1) A leak up in the anchor locker between the drain hole drilled through the
outer hull and the anchor locker. Water can drain down into the foam under
the V and out into the cabin.

2) Leaking fitting at the water tank?

3) We had some leaks in the cabin top because I needed to change where
some fittings were mounted. For reasons unknown to me, the epoxy I used
to fill the old holes never set and the holes leaked.

4) Condensation?

Mike
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bet is on the water tank but get the dealer involved. There should never be water in the cabin unless you put it there or there was some extreme condensation going on.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had water leaks into the cabin on our 2006 22', just a few tablespoons but enough to worry me. It took a year to track it down. Water was coming in from the vent for the water tank which is on the port side just forward of the cabin bulkhead. The vent was improperly installed, no sealant, hand tight, hole drilled too high, etc. I'm not sure how to see that from the inside on one of the new molded interiors but if you can see the inside, look for obvious water marks coming down the cabin wall. I also ended up resealing the joint between the cabin rear bulkhead and the cockpit floor. I think you have a molded in flat floor in your cockpit but it's probably worth while to check that junction and seal anyplace that looks at all suspicious. I used 5200 as the sealant. You should also check the hoses from the water tank. There is a large fill hose at the top rear of the tank going up to the filler on the port side, a smaller one going to the aforementioned vent. Those are on the back of the water tank and hard to access unless you can get to the tank. There is a small one going from the front bottom of the tank over to the kitchenette sink and, in my boat a fourth going to the vertical plastic fill level indicator. Each of these hose has hose clamps that should be checked and if there is room, put a second clamp on each.

You might dry everything completely, put a little food coloring in the water tank, and after a couple of hours look for that coloring on the cabin floor. If you see it, you know the leak is from the water tank or the bottom hoses. If you don't see any water, spray a hose at the filler and vent area for a few minutes, then check your floor for water. If none, that should be eliminated. Then do the same thing in the cockpit, spray water at the bulkhead cockpit junction, no water inside: that is eliminated.

You said you water is under the dinette, that points to the water tank/tank components.

There should be zero water on the cabin floor.

BaseCampAnne

City/Region: San Diego/Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SEA COASTER
Photos: SEA COASTER
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: water under the floor Reply with quote

Sorry I was not clear about the exact location of the water. Sad The actual floor that I walk on does not have water. Confused

The water I see is in a compartment/area underneath where the sliding seat moves to, by the table. I noticed it when I was almost upside down crawling around trying to find the tiny holes to drop the pins into in order to hold the sliding seat box in place.

I have no idea why water is there, or anywhere inside the boat. Question

Thanks,

Anne
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne,

OK. Everything said in my previous post still applies except maybe the possible leaks from the rear bulkhead area. Just do your checking where you see the water. My guess is that you have a hose leak from the water tank. try the food coloring trick.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other possiblities--slightly open window--around window frame, hull to deck joint, rivet not properly sealed, leak around hand railing. You have your choice--start ferriting it out--or let the dealer do it. I prefer to do it personally, that way I get to know the boat --intimentely! Then let the dealer fix it.

Even new boats have problems...some many, some few.

This has nothing to do with the selfbailing. Self bailing is the cockpit floor, which is higher than the waterline (or it should be)--and any water in the cockpit then drains out the scuppers to the outside of the boat. There are some which have not drained well, and some which have leaded into the hull.

Let us know where the leak is. My guess is that it is not serious.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had leaks from my roof top handrails on both sides. One of the holes for the handrail was missdrilled also. None of the handrails had any sealant on them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: