West Marine
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
R-Matey

City/Region: Bow
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: R-Matey
Photos: R-Matey
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: West Marine Reply with quote

Yes, we agree that the prices at West Marine is greater than at LFS, Reddin Marine or some of the bigger box stores. However, when they've got a super duper sale going on, sometimes it's hard to match. Ruthie picked up a pair of Sperry boat shoes for $20. Flares recently replaced were on sale, too. Just have to watch their ads....and there's some excellent prices on their Garmins.

For six summers Ruthie and I hosted the C-Brat Rendezvous at Bellingham's Squalicum Harbor. During that six years Bellingham's West Marine supported us by donating hundreds of $$$ in merchandise (such as PFD's valued at $130 each) that was won by C-Brats on those weekends. Quite often West Marine donated more towards our C-Brats gatherings than the boat manufacturer.

The Friday Harbor West Marine store has been there to support the C-Brats during the annual get-together which is hosted by Barry and Patti (C-Cakes). While at FH WM, we purchased a couple of items that were less expensive than the marine stores in Bellingham and that didn't include the 10 per cent discount that we received that weekend.

PS: One of the best experiences we've ever had at West Marine (Anacortes) was meeting our friend, Roger SENSEI, over a decade ago. He was leaving the store just as we were entering.....and because his hat had a C-Dory on it, we naturally had to ask him what kind of C-Dory, etc...So, good things can happen at a WM store even if you don't intend to buy anything Very Happy

Very Happy Happy shopping wherever you go Very Happy

Joe and Ruth, C-Brats #22
R-MATEY

2010 R25SC Tug (Mar 2010 - Sold Oct 2013)
1993 22 Cruiser (Jan 2014 - Sold March 2023)
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

West Marine is a very big chain, (maybe not Walmart big, but think Radio Shack). It is still made up of people, no matter where the store is. They are who the store is. In my case, the most local store is 40 miles a way. Most of the folks there, and certainly the manager, know my name. Not everything I buy comes from there, but I do buy occasionally, and every CBGT where WM is a sponsor, I participate buy purchasing something, Maybe not a $200 VHF but I'll find something I "need".

My WM store has done returns, "No questions asked", and done special orders for me. On one occasion, they chased down a local electronics tech phone number, and then got Raymarine tech support for me, while I was turning circles off the ferry dock at Friday Harbor, because my Raymarine decided to take a vacation. Are their prices high? Yes, some but so is their service. My preference, go face to face when possible, and support local if you want to be able to use that resource again.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a retired WM manager I appreciate all the kind words. We always tried to support good events, like CBGT's and others We always tried to make sure our prices were comparable to local competitors. This was communicated to head office. Sometimes we won sometimes not. We could always offer the match though. One of the big advantages was the ability to replace a defective item for someone when it was bought a long way away. I replaced a complete C120 system once for a guy from Dallas on his way north to Alaska. in Raymarine's days of challenge. We struggled with pricing all the time but overall I always said if a guy spent one boat unit ($1000) at WM and the same $1000 at the competitor on "stuff" his cart would be about as full. Excluding electronics. As Joe suggests keep an eye for bargains and ask to match others. The team makes the store as Harvey says. George
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a nice chat with a young sales associate at the local WM today. She did not know what a TM258 transducer is. Or a 10-pin connector. She had never heard of Airmar. She had never heard of Furuno.

I will say this: She was very apologetic for not knowing about any of the things I asked her. She actually seemed quite bright and was very eager to learn what she could about the world of transducers beyond the Garmin showcase and the few transducers in the store. She said she would call me tomorrow and and tell me how much a special order would cost. We shall see.

I gave her another project. I pointed out, as I have over the past several months to other WM employees (there seems to be quite the turnover), that there is a certain irrationality in their battery section inventory. None of the half dozen or so terminal protectors on display fits any of the batteries they sell. She is the first employee to register some surprise at this, and she promised to look into it. Again, we shall see.

I actually would like to see a mix of local, big chain, and internet businesses, but I don't know how it will play out. It's just not feasible for a brick and mortar retail store to stock inventory that is used primarily as a showroom for somebody else's internet business.

Bris

City/Region: Sedro Woolley
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Stardust
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't care what WM charges. All I know is when I want it, I want it. I'm a busy guy and my days off must be productive. So, five years ago when I moved to Friday Harbor I decided (wanted) to by a boat. I had recalled C-dory from some time back and you just don't forget them. So I ended up buying my bare bones 16ft'r and headed to WM (where else do you go in FH?)for line, bumpers, rode, chain, anchor, flares, life jackets etc. So I tell the guy I'm a new boat owner and would like a catalog. He asked if I had a WM card and I said I didn't. Well, a catalog will cost you $5 unless you have the card. I told him I didn't want a card, just a catalog. So, they made $5 on me that day, but that's all they will ever make off me. I bought line and fenders at the WM in Anacortes on one of my trips off island, and the rest has come from other places. Moon
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, I can relate to your experiences--and I also agree that things may be even worse at WM than it was 8 years ago. At least in our case, the larger of the two W M in Pensacola lost their long time manager, who was excellent, and had a sequence of a number of short term managers. I recently had a good experience with a young college student associate, who was a boater and knew his stuff, and took the time to look up and call the manufacture what he didn't know.

Several of my friends are "assistant managers" at the smaller of the two WM stores. They are both very knowledgable, and are only part time workers (No benefits of any sort), even though both want to work full time. With only 2 employees in the store this creates stress because of the lack of ability to keep an eye on the merchandise.

I needed a couple of #18 to #22 female spade connectors--and none were to be found for a number of months, despite several hundred of the male fittings which were worthless without the female connectors. Even the store manager was not able to get the stock refilled--the answer I got was "the home office decides what we get"--hard to believe. Yes, I finally got some.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, yes, it is pretty distressing. In effect, West Marine IS my local store. I do try to throw business at the truly locally-owned marinas and other stores in town. That said, I have to drive an hour or more to visit a store that might have any serious inventory of electronics let alone anyone knowledgeable to talk to.

We are definitely in some kind of significant retailing shake-up.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

West Marine started out being the discount marine supply store and put a lot of local stores under. Times change; as an example of where they are now, I stopped by to buy a 1/2" nylon tee. $3.29 at West Marine, $2.19 at the local, non-discount hardware store. Same thing. And in San Diego, Downwind Marine is cheaper than West Marine by some amount.

I'll certainly grant you their service is friendly, but so is the local hardware.

When I buy anything of significance (V700 windlass to plastic tubing,) I can get the same stuff at an internet house, cheaper. That's plus shipping less sales tax, waiting a week. FedEx delivers to all the places I cruise; that's how I got my windlass in Lummi Island, saved a couple of hundred. And I don't need to drive 70 miles (RT) to the nearest West Marine when I'm home in San Diego. And, at least with Defender, I can still return stuff. Not just walk in, but I've returned/exchanged. I just have to plan ahead. West Marine and Downwind are there for emergencies.

I'll be interested to see how the brick and mortar stores compete with the internet stores. Either there's a lot of people who want it now, or West Marine may be in trouble even though they've captured the majority of the local market. And they're not cheap any more.

Boris
anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: sad Reply with quote

I once lived on a boat in a marina near New Orleans. I was in West Marine weekly. The manager and I joked about the "Jewelry Counter", that was their hardware section, but with $10.00 coupons I would receive in the mail once and a while, their prices were bearable. Those days are gone. Their prices aren't just excessive, they're insulting.

Like everything else on this forum, (one axel vs two axels, one motor vs two motors, propane vs charcoal), where one shops is a personal choice.

Personally, I would rather shop where I don't feel I have been taken advantage of. To each his own.

I do feel bad for the generally, great sales folks who work in the stores. They are caught in the middle, between corporate greed and the shocked look in their customer's faces when they are told the price of an item.

MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had similar experiences w/ WM, frustrated not only by absurd pricing, but also a variety of customer service issues I don't want to rant about here.

But the yacht club crowd is probably their target demographic (with those prices, it must be!), whereas C-dory owners, fishermen, etc, are more frugal, want a better selection, and are willing to shop for the best bargain.

I will say, back in the day (1980s), before the interwebs, WM was competetive on many things and we would even make the occasional drive from Bellingham to Seattle just to shop there. Kind of like REI, then and now.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in FLL about a year ago. I went to the WM Superstore there. Most of the items I was interested were pretty much 2x what I could get them for at other places in FLL (there were some things were not that much more). I am willing to pay some premium for having a lot of stuff in one place so I can get what I need all at once and not drive here and there, but 2x is way to much. It's worth it to me to drive a little bit to save $50 on a $300 item.

The WM store in FLL is great to wander 'round in when I have some time to kill, lots of neat stuff. But there is nothing there I can't get cheaper from somewhere nearby.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: West Marine Reply with quote

I don't understand why a chain of stores that big has to charge so much. You would think that their buying power would allow them to be more competitive instead of the current if they holler let them go policy. I do buy epoxy there as we are about an hour an a half inland from the coast. There is a West Marine near the Delaware river in Bensalem, Pa. about a half hour away fro our home. We do buy an occasional replacement fan etc. while cruising. But stainless hardware I'll stick with Ace Hardware. Most of our boat related items come from Defender or BOE Marine. Both excellent vendors in my opinion. But I'm glad West Marine is there when we are traveling. I mean it's easy to find a West marine doing a search. We have had marinas provide transportation to and from the local West Marine.
D.D.

srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep in mind that most hardware stores do not carry 316 (marine) grade stainless steel fasteners. As a matter of fact, most of these stores cannot even tell you what grade of metal that they sell, as the products are unmarked.
OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: West Marine Reply with quote

Experience tells us the stainless hardware sold at Ace Hardware holds up in a salt water environment. We have used it for years on all of our boats.
I'm still wondering how much that trailer you spec'ed actually cost?
D.D.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that much of the SS which West Marine sells comes from China. They have blackmailed a number of companies to letting them put the West Marine brand on their product and sell it for a few bucks cheaper than the same product sitting right next to it on the shelf. West marine carrying a product can make or break it.

The current CEO of West Marine was an ex VP of REI before coming to West Marine. They do have an monopoly in many market areas. Often stocking of products does not make sense. For example our large Pensacola store has a very large fishing section--added fairly recently. Right next door is a very large and very good tackle shop--where the real fishermen get all of their gear. I rarely see any fishing gear sold at this West Marine. I suspect the large fishing section is a corporate decision--and the local market is not evaluated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: