View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackfish

City/Region: saltair
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: raincoast
Photos: Raincoast
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: tying up to dock Reply with quote

seeking some advise from all you experienced sailors.
what arrangement of lines do you recommend to secure a 22cd at a well protected dock for 2 or 3 hrs (the boat will be left unattended )
would the bow and stern lines do along with fenders of course
or should I be attaching spring lines.
If using spring lines where would you attach theses on the boat.
from what I've read the forward spring line might be tied off to the bow cleat then past through a chock.

thanks
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: 22' Reply with quote

For a 22' boat all you need is a stern line, a bow line, and three fenders.

Is the dock fixed or floating with the tide?

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it easier to bring the bow line to the forward cleat and from there to the dock cleat. being there are no cleats or chocks at the bow this works well. I also use one rope for both sides of the boat. what I mean is that the rope is double up and has a loop in the middle that goes over the bow cleat then the two side are run down each side of the boat. This gives you one long rope if you need it and now you only have one rope tied to the bow.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Floating or Fixed Reply with quote

Here's why Capt Matt asked the question about the dock being floating or fixed. Photo credits to Tim and Pam on True Story....

matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Floating Reply with quote

Ha ha...well that is some bad luck at the dock.

If you're securing to a non-floating dock you would tie the line on your cleats differently as well as other precautions.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use the fenders, a stern line, and the bow line from the bow, over to the dock chock or rail, then back to the midship cleat to act as a spring. The spring only takes a few extra seconds and I feel just makes a more secure tie-off.
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a bow line about 20 ft long on my 22 cruiser. The bow line goes from the bow cleat to the dock cleat or rail and then to the boats midships cleat. This acts as a bow line and bow spring.

A stern line about 10 ft long goes from the stern cleat to the dock cleat or rail. The stern line can be led aft of 90 degrees to act as a stern line and stern spring.

Because the 22 is wider amidships I brought the stern in closer than the bow so the fenders at the stern and amidships take the chafe and the bow fender hangs free.

This system worked well for me at the typical Canadian wood dock with bull rails.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 22' Reply with quote

matt_unique wrote:
For a 22' boat all you need is a stern line, a bow line, and three fenders.

Actually, for casual docking I get by quite nicely with a stern line, bow line and two fenders. Many times just the midship cleat and stern cleat is sufficient. I was taught by a C-Dory expert that it's not absolutely necessary to have the boat itself parallel with the dock, only the stern area where people are exiting/entering.

Obviously dealing with a strong wind calls for more formal tieups, but dinner stop? Even overnight? No problem.

Now if I could only remember to pull the fenders in after getting underway.... Embarrased

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I come to a dock, I secure a line from the midships cleat or a folding "D"Ring on the deck outside the window (harder to reach the foreward side cleat on the 25 and TC 255). I loop this line from the foreward side cleat around a bull rail, piling or cleat, and then go aft and bring the stern cleat line around the bull rail. piling or cleat. I usually leave these a little slack and put on a foreward side cleat to aft dock cleat spring line. This allows for some fore and aft movement and if there is some tide, so tidal movement. I prefer this method, because I do not have to go onto the foredeck--and can just reach out the window.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
lloyds

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever think about tying a light line to the bottom of the fenders and pulling all the slack out and tying it off to a rear cleat, making the fenders horizontal near the deck? I hate those cold showers when I forget to pull in the rear fender on my 16'.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres the thing about the above photo. It was tied to a floating dock. the problem was that they tied to the post no the dock. The dock went up and the post did not. boat got sucked under. so tie to the dock not the post. i have caught people doing it wrong around here many times. If you are at a non-floating dock you have to have longer lines in case you have a big tide. the east coast guys know more about that. I have not seen a non floating dock around here yet.
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the problems with non floating docks around here is if they aren't constructed properly you run the risk of getting your gunnel or other part of the boat hung up on the dock or piling as the tide rises possibly sinking the boat. When I was a kid and we keep old boats in the water all the time we had a piling set about 40 feet from the dock. It had a block in it at the top with a line running through it with the bottom tied to a concrete block. As we approached the dock we would hook the line around a bow cleat and back up to the dock. We would then tie off to the dock get out of the boat loosen the line on the dock and let the concrete block pull the boat back away from the dock. Worked like a charm.
lloyds

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That boat tied to the post reminds me of the time I went through the Willamette Falls locks and was tied behind about a 27 foot wood cruiser, with the usual two drunk couples in lawn chairs in the stern. We were handling our lines but the neighbors were tied off. The Corps guys didn't say a word, just let the water out. Before you know it that cruiser was at about a 45 degree tilt and those folks were crammed into the low gunnel. The only thing that saved them was when the chocks pulled out of their boat.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each docking situation presents a different challenge, depending on wind direction, current, and the space at the dock. Generally, we put three fenders over the side: a large round one towards the bow, coming behind the bow rail, one off the mid-ship cleat, and one off the cockpit rail. With two of us on the boat, Joan is usually on the bow, with a line ready on the bow cleat, and another tied off on the stern cleat, ready for me to get on my way out. With a bow line on first, I can maneuver forward or back to bring the boat parallel to the dock. Then secure bow and stern lines as breast lines. Unless it is a very quick stop, we run a spring line from the mid-ship cleat fore and aft.

If I am by myself, I run one long line from the bow cleat run back to the cockpit, generally tied off to the stern cleat. With that, I can step off the boat and have control front and rear. Drop that line over a cleat, then tie off as usual with the other lines.

If the tide is a concern and it isn't a floating dock, balance the length of the breast lines with the spring lines (running the spring lines further out - it will keep the boat from getting too far from the dock).

Best wishes,
Jim B.

timflan

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Two Lucky Fish +1
Photos: Two Lucky Fish
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
I find it easier to bring the bow line to the forward cleat and from there to the dock cleat. being there are no cleats or chocks at the bow this works well. I also use one rope for both sides of the boat. what I mean is that the rope is double up and has a loop in the middle that goes over the bow cleat then the two side are run down each side of the boat. This gives you one long rope if you need it and now you only have one rope tied to the bow.

Tom, this is a GREAT idea. I had to cut my favorite 25-foot dock line on Sunday (long story...tell ya later), so today I went out and bought a new 25-foot dock line. I thought about getting a pair. Wish I'd read this first, but Fisheries will take my dock line back. Instead, I'll just buy a 50-foot length of rope and tie my new favorite knot, the Alpine Butterfly, in the middle. Or maybe just a clove hitch. What knot do you use?

Oh, and in answer to the original question: I use just two lines, and I always tie a spring in addition to bow and stern lines. I've got a long line set up on the bow cleat. It goes to the dock, and then back to the midships cleat as a forward spring. The stern line angles back slightly, serving as an aft spring. Really, though, the primary pull is between the midships cleat and the stern cleat, because this keeps the cockpit gunnel right alongside the dock for easy boarding. In other words, if you have to leave one of these lines slack, leave the bowline slack.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: