The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Suzuki Overheating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Suzuki Overheating Reply with quote

My buddy bought a Suzuki 225 from a dealer in Daytona and had them install it on his Cuddy Cabin boat. After the break in he was getting a overheat alarm at higher RPM's. He immediately took it back to the dealer and they checked everything out and suspected he didn't have it trimmed properly. This guy has been boating for over 50 years but he took their advice and took the boat back out paying special attention to the trim. Anything above about 4500 RM he got a overheat alarm no matter how he trimmed the boat. He took it back again and the dealer changed all the fluids and went out in the boat for a Sea Trial with my buddy. The same thing again. The dealer told him his swim step was causing turbulance so he went home removed the swim step and sealed all the holes properly all along thinking that wasn't the problem. After about 5 more trips to the dealer he was at his wits end and considering taking legal action. One day while looking at the motor he noticed the water intake covers were installed backwards from the factory. He took out the two phillips head screws reversed the cover and no more overheating. The dealer gave him a free oil change for all his trouble. I post this just incase someone else has a similiar problem. It appears that on my Suzuki 90 the covers could easily be installed backwards. By backwards I mean fore and aft. It's barely noticeable.
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess that would do it huh? glad to hear he got it straightend out /hope he didn"t cook it too bad.ha ha....john
CW

City/Region: Kalama
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Satisfaction
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always pays to be cognizant of the details.... A month ago I was fishing with a friend and I had just talked up about how much I liked my Yamaha 9.9 horsepower High Thrust kicker (circa 1992) for its reliability and don't you know I couldn't get it started. I reattached the fuel line, squeezed the bulb and pushed that electric start button..... and it cranked and cranked (all the while we're drifting downstream in the Columbia River). Nothing would work. He too is a Yamaha fan with an 18 ft. jetsled with Yamaha 200 w/jet pump on the back. I cursed my cursing the motor with bragging on it... and then I saw it.... the Dead Man clip was sitting there on the custom bracket, disengaged. I snapped that sucker in the little slot it always sits in and "wholla"! It fired up like a house-a-fire. Check the obvious too. Now it is on my list of boat "to do" items.... permanently bypass Dead Man switch. C.W.
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was about 12 years old I had and old Herters FG runabout with a 18 Evinrude circa about 1955. That was the era of the pressure fuel tanks. I always loosened the gas cap when I stopped for any length of time to keep the tank from building up to much pressure in the hot sun. I had my 65 year old grandmother with me and we were fishing in the ICW. A storm came up and I couldn't get the motor started. We were about 100 feet from shore and my grandmother couldn't swim. No matter what I did the motor wouldn't start so I paddled to shore and we got out in the mud. I beached the boat best I could and we walked back about 300 yards thru the marsh grass and mud home in driving rain, lightning and thunder. When the storm subsided my grandad took me back to the boat that was about half full of rain water. He tighten the cap on the fuel tank pumped it up and the motor fired right up. My grandmother never went out in a boat again. That was 48 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday. Sometimes the simplest things can get you in trouble.
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got one stranger than that & it still happens today.i call it a hudson river over heat every once in a while my temp gauge would climb fast believe it or not from - sucking -plastic bags usually clear ones like ice bags so much junk floating in river /guess it could happen anywhere but to me only in the river.took me a while to figure it out / kill the motor /stop suction /and bags float off water pick up. i"ve turned around &idled in back in my wake and found the culpret quite a few times ,might sound hard to believe , but true ,just whished i figured it out sooner cursed alot of water pumps & thermostats for no good reason.;;;;;;;;;;;john
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: