View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a Fortress FX-11 to replace a 13lb Danforth.(both anchors are of similar dimensions) I made it up with 25 ft of 3/16ths chain and 250 ft of 7/16ths 3-strand nylon line. I got and installed the mud palms.

On a visit to Lake Mohave I tried to set this anchor many times. It would never set. I returned the anchor to West Marine and resumed using the Danforth 13 lb anchor with the 3/16 ths chain and line. The Danforth set and held every time.

I was hoping to lower the weight of the gear and get away from the rust stains. Oh, well, back to the old standby.

I have used Bruce anchors for the bow anchor on three boats now, and I can depend on the Bruce. The Danforth was the stern anchor on the C-Dory, and before that I used it on my trimaran sail boat.

Thats my experience, your may vary!!

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feeling when the Fortress first came out (and I was boating on the West Coast) that weight was essential for anchors to set. I have mostly used large CQR's on my cruising boats and HT Danforths (12 or 35lb) on the racing sailboats. I had the general impression that a CQR had to be 35 lbs to penetrate the "crust" of the sea bed. I still believe that weight plays a role.

Definately the conditions are what determine the best anchor. I carried a 22 lb Bruce for about 6,000 miles after rescuing a boater who lost his boat. One day in Honduras I needed a "small" kedge anchor to pull the 62 foot, 60,000 lb boat off the dock in about a 15 knot breeze. I put the Bruce out with 10:1 scope, and winched the Bruce back to the boat 4 times. This was in coral sand, with a bit of a crust. I put my trusty 12 Lb HT Danforth out--and winched the boat right off the dock. So in that condition the heavier Bruce was worthless--the Danforth worked very well. Incidently that Bruce was what the other cruiser was relying on, when his boat drug ashore and was lost off the cost of Mexico, although the Bruce was "appropiate" in size for his boat...He failed to power set it.

In reality the average boater rarely "tests" his anchoring gear. The home made anchor in one of the posts above, may work fine in certain bottoms, but with a significant blow, I suspect that it would drag very rapidly. Also I would ask how many of us power set their anchor? My usual technique is to let the anchor set--then gradually apply force--ending with full power in reverse. I take ranges, either with several stationary reference points ashore--or at least with several bearings with an very accurate hand bearing compass (reads to one degree).

I started using the Fortress FX 16 in Florida, where we have soft sand or mud. It works very well, despite its light weight--and even without a chain under those conditions. I would not expect the Fortress FX 16 to set in sand with a dense crust or heavily impacted sand.

For the CD 22 or Venture 23, the Delta 14 is most likely very sufficient. This is what I have on my CD 25. I will also be carrying the Manson 25 this summer. But the Delta 14 works fine, and seems to hold fine with full reverse.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL

Last edited by thataway on Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This anchor package has been sold, thanks!

I have an lightly used Simpson/Lawrence anchor that is for sale. It's a Delta Fast-Set plow type 14 lb galvanized manganese alloy hardened steel anchor with 15 feet of 1/4" G-4 high test galvanized chain, 150 feet of 1/2" three strand nylon rode, and a canvas duffel style bag for the rode to fit in. Rated for 21-31 foot boats. I'm asking $150 plus shipping charges for it. The anchor rode is spliced for use with a windlass. PM me if interested.

Link to manufacturer's website HERE.

It's currently in my Sea Ray up at Shasta Lake. I replaced it with a larger similar 20 lb plow anchor, 30 feet of 5/16 chain, and 200 feet of 5/8" three strand nylon rope when I added a "brutish" Simpson Lawrence Horizon Express (1500 class) windlass. The boat weighs about 8000 lbs and is 26.5 feet at the waterline.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:18 am; edited 2 times in total
captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris,
You can see the chain looped on top of the grapple, It is under the rode on the other two. 20 ft. on the 32 lb danforth. Short one on the fortress. I take the fortress out in the pudgy, and use it for a stern anchor. when needed. Has a short chain. Fortress has to have some chain and start the pull with small jecks by hand. Once it diggs in it will hold as well or better than others.

captd

2007 25 R Ranger (Mis Dee) sold 2008
2009 25 R Ranger (Lucky Fin) sold
1994 22 ft C-Dory ( Kon Tiki )
Best Day

City/Region: Long Beach
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Best Day
Photos: Best Day
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I spoke with the West Coast rep for Delta Anchors and he was very helpful. I described my boat to him and asked if I should use a 14 pound Delta with 30 feet of chain or a 22 pound Delta with 17 feet of chain (I need to keep the weight reasonable since I'm pulling the anchor manually). He said that the 14 pounder should be plenty for my boat. He also said that because the Delta Fast Set is a plow type anchor they recommend 30 feet of chain to be used with it.

So it sounds like a 14 pound Delta Fast Set is in my future.

Bill
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill (Best Day). If you are anchoring at the Isthmus, there are a number of places where it is in excess of 100 feet. Thus you will need considrable rode. If you can tuck back in close to the beach at the East side of the cove, with bow and stern anchors, that is one of the few places there where there is good protection and a clear anchorage. (Little Fishermans).
Close to the beach--the water is much shoaler and easier anchoring. Most other coves in the channel Islands it is best to anchor fore and aft. So get a good stern anchor too. This keeps the bow into swells, and makes riding at anchor much more comfortable.

Hopefully you will have a windlass with that amount of chain. It is harder on the hands than rope rode.
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill (Best Day)-

I agree with the recommendation to use the 14 lb. rather than the 22 lb. Delta Fast-Set.

You might want to think about the total weight of the chain and anchor, however.

1/4" chain weighs 0.74 lbs per foot, so 30 feet of it will weigh 22.2 lbs.

This means your total weight to raise (other than the rope) will be 14 + 22 lbs, or 36 lbs.

That not all that difficult from, say, 50 feet, but if you're talking lifting it from 100 or more feet, it may be challenging, especially for someone who is older.

This is where a windlass really comes in handy! (Or a teenage son training for football, just ask BC!)

I have 100 feet of chain that weighs 74 lbs and a Fortress FX-16 anchor that weighs 10 lbs on my C-Dory 22. When it's all deployed, it's very difficult to raise this 84 lb. combo manually for this 65 year old!

Fortunately, I have a windlass! Just push the button!

It might be worthwhile to note that much of the time the whole anchor set up won't be lifted, as at first only part of the chain is lifted, then the whole set up, then it gets lighter as the chain gradually comes aboard.

Free Advice: Get a good pair of gloves for manual anchor work!

An anchor buoy set up can ease the load if you don't have a windlass.

Anchors aweigh!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
C-Pelican

City/Region: SoCal
C-Dory Year: 1992
Vessel Name: C Pelican
Photos: C-Pelican
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

Have you actually used that anchor buoy set up?

Jeff
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we lived on the "other" coast we used the anchor bouy set up many times in 100+ ft of water.
Works fine as long as you are careful not to run over the rode and get the speed set to where it pulls the anchor without risking to rip off the transom if it is really stuck. After a while you refine the technique and open up once you are sure the anchor has broken out.
It does have the advantage that it washes off most of the mud.
Disadvantage is that you need lots of free space around you.
In the end you still have to pull it all on board but it's a lot easier than a vertical pull.

Merv & Kathy

Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Pelican wrote:
Joe,

Have you actually used that anchor buoy set up?

Jeff

Jeff-

No, I've never used it myself, but we've talked about it before, and a number of Brats have used it with good results!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that you may have mud or kelp or something else on the flukes of the anchor--making it much heavier. During the tests the anchor with the most mud was the manson, then the Delta and finally the Danforth 35 and FX 16.
CW

City/Region: Kalama
Vessel Name: Satisfaction
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The buoy anchor puller I use is called an Anchorlift by Ironwood Pacific. It is similar to the one Joe posted and is the most popular here. It does require that there be no knots in the anchor line whereas the ring type model might be more forgiving .... but would still hang up some // not slide as quickly as mine due to increased friction. This equates into having to drive your boat farther upstream to pull it, a decided disadvantage if fishing in a crowded area where hoglines are tighter. Here is Anchorlift's website, replete with diagrams, prices, and the video is worth downloading to see it in action. A word of advice, get the largest buoy practicable, not the minimum rated to pull your anchor. They are easier to see in low light by all boaters and less likely to get pulled underwater by the current or disappear from sight while you pull it up with the boat - making it harder to tell when the anchor is completely raised. C.W. http://www.ironwoodpacific.com/products/anchoring_mooring/anchorlift.htm
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. The bouys seem to be the standard fender/float used by fishermen and yachtsmen world around. We have used the large round fenders on our larger boats (difficult to store, we usually kept them in the RIB or hard dinghy on deckk). We found a 36" one of these bouys half way across the Atlantic "Bahama Mama" was the name painted on it. We scraped several years worth of marine growth off, and used that bouy/fender for the next 4 years. They are very tough!
Best Day

City/Region: Long Beach
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Best Day
Photos: Best Day
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys. I do pull the anchor without the help of a windlass so I am very aware of the weight. I never thought I would want a windlass but with my priority being a good secure anchor I may soon buy one. I had problems with my Boaters World Hooker anchor letting go at the most inopportune times.

Bob thanks for the advice on the Isthmus. I will check that spot out soon. I usually try to moore in smaller (empty) coves. Until this point I haven't trusted my anchor enough to spend the night on it at Catalina. I did for two nights at Mission Bay but one of the mornings with the slight wind change it let go. I was on shore and noticed my boat was half way across the bay. Luckily it was heading for the beach on the other side and not the rocks that were about 100 yards up the beach.

I do have a spare anchor (Hooker) and will use that when needed as a stern anchor. I have heard very good things about the Delta Fast Set and look forward to having an anchor that I can trust to hold and reset when needed.

Bill
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, I wouldn't plan on anchoring at either Avalon or the Isthmus at Catalina. If there was a decent anchorage, they've put mooring buoys there. I've anchored at Cat Harbour (south side of the Isthmus,) but that field has been filled with buoys. And at Avalon, you're outside the breakwater. For our small boats, the string line is a good choice and probably not as crowded. Anyway, good luck.

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: