View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Princes Louisa and Chatterbox Falls Reply with quote

I suspect that there is a bit of local knowledge in the CBrat community regarding PL and Chatterbox, so.... a question.

I am planning on going to the Broughtons again this year, but would like to take a side trip into PL inlet. I am looking for a recommendation for a launch point. Any of you salts have a favorite spot? I don't know whether it would be best to take the ferry from Taswsassen over to Vancouver Island, then run back from an island port, or to run up from Bellingham. I am not sure that I want to tow the boat into Vancouver (city) and catch the ferry up to Sechelt. The traffic there makes me crazy. Going through Seattle is akin to a nervous breakdown, and I think Vancouver is worse.

Regards,

Steve
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

We left our truck and trailer in Bellingham (Squalicum Harbor has free long term parking, you just have to sign in at the marina office), and headed out from there. It's an easy trip through the San Juans, the Gulf Islands, then across the Straight and north to Princess Louisa.

You can stay on the dock at the head of the inlet for three days... relaxing and refreshing, before moving on.

Have fun!

Best wishes,
Jim B.
blackfish

City/Region: saltair
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: raincoast
Photos: Raincoast
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could also catch the Coho ferry from port Angeles to Victoria and make your way up the Island from there.
will you be staying at alder bay for the broughtons part of your trip?
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Alder Bay Reply with quote

Blackfish,

If we are camping on the boat before we launch or after we come back, we will probably stay at Alder Bay. It seemed like a nice place, with nice folks. Not sure if we will leave the truck there or at Telegraph Cove, or possibly Port McNeil.

Steve
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: oops Reply with quote

I just re-read your question and don't think I answered what you were asking. Places I would like to visit/stay after we get the boat in the water include Shawl Bay, Jennis Bay, Lagoon Cove, Potts Lagoon, Greenway, etc... As I would like to spend a few days in each area, I may have to limit the number of places on the list.

Steve
blackfish

City/Region: saltair
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: raincoast
Photos: Raincoast
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when we go into the broughtons in Aug we'll need some where to leave the truck, Alder bay has always been nice when we camped there but I was also thinking about just leaving it in town do you know of anywhere that has secure parking?
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Parking Reply with quote

There is a secure lot (or I believe it is) in Port McNeil. Several of the group kept their vehicles there last trip. I would start with a call or email to the harbor master. Hold off until Sept if you can. Fewer folks to compete with.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that Port McNeil is great for the Broughtons. We think it is one of the best places for "jumping off" --and if we launch on Vancouver Island (vs Sequim) this summer, it will be at Port McNeil. If we do this, we will ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria on the Coho.

I assume that you will launch some place further South and then run up to Princes Louisa Inlet, then come back and trailer up further? It would depend on the amount of time you have and the weather. We enjoyed going slightly different ways each year--but we could only go 6.5 to 8 knots and much of our planning was round currents in the passes.

If it is cold and depending on my health issues we may be taking a similar path, rather than going to AK.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
It has been a few years, but last time I stayed at Alder Bay they would not allow you to overnight on your boat at the dock. I don't know the reason for that rule and it may have changed. If your plans include a boat stay there it wouldn't hurt to call and check. Port McNeil has good docks and great services within easy walking distance. I parked in a fenced, secure lot about a quarter mile from the marina. I can't remember the name but the harbormaster could give you the contact info.

Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Alder Bay Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

That was still the case when we were up there with you two years ago. The blow that kept us tied up to a fish farm pen was bad enough to rip out the Alder Bay log boom, so there is a good reason for not leaving the boat in the water there. I do like it for the camping, but the boat is on the trailer when we do.

You up for another Broughton's trip? Tell Lyndon that we won't even harass him for being from Texas.

Twisted Evil
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably what we would do if we wanted to do both Princess Louisa and the Broughtons, and wanted to avoid the long run up on the water from Washington, would be to take the Tswwassen ferry to Nanaimo, up the Island Freeway to say, Salmon Bay Resort (or somewhere around Campbell River) to launch. It is a short run south to PL, then back up through Desolation, pop out onto Johnstone Strait at Blind Channel and on up to the first stop in the Broughtons. The Tswwassen ferry is just a short distance past the Blaine border crossing.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
Depends on when. I really enjoyed the Broughtons and could be up for another cruise depending on when you had in mind. As a general rule I like to trailer close to where I am cruising and them spend more time in the target area. When I cruised Desolation Sound, I launched at Lund and within minutes I was there. For the Broughtons I launched at Port McNeil and again within minutes you are there. Princess Louisa and the Broughtons are pretty far apart for a short cruise unless you have plenty of time to explore all the areas between.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: PLI trip Reply with quote

We are looking at going up to Princes Louisa Inlet this summer. Don't have a date yet, but will probably go up out of Horse Shoe Bay. It is about 100 miles by water to the entrence from there, and 60 miles up to Egmont. Thought it looked closer that way that going across from Vancouver Island. Looked like a long stretch from the Broughtons down to PLI. Hope to see some C-Dories up there.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: