The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Sealing Holes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Sealing Holes Reply with quote

I know this topic has been discussed many times and I've been scouring the forums using the search function but I'm asking a one simple question.

It turns out I didn't do a very good job last spring of attaching my radar arch, (read-it leaks). I want to redo it and do it the right way, taking my time and doing everything necessary to avoid leaks. After reading posts by Dr. Bob and Sea Wolf Joe, I want to make sure the holes I drilled into the roof are sealed to avoid any water intrusion into the cored roof.

My question: What is the best sealant to use for this purpose? I will be cleaning out the balsa core in the existing holes with a dremel tool (Xmas present Very Happy ) then I want to seal the hole, let it cure and redrill the proper bolt size.

Should I use WestSystems epoxy system? System 3? Or MarineTex? I'm looking for simple but bullet-proof.

Peter
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

You can undercut the balsa in the holes by using a small hex key or bent nail chucked in an electric drill to remove the balsa back 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the holes in the fiberglass. This avoids enlarging the hole in the fiberglass skin. Then tape off the bottom of the hole and fill with epoxy. After cure, drill out the holes to the original dimension.

Seal the arch and bolts with 4200 or similar. (Not 5200!!)

System Three has dual caulking tubes of various formulations, which should be easy to use.

Link:
[/url]http://www.systemthree.com/p_u_cartridge.asp[url]

Also check this thread:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=8109

Dr Bob or others may have more advise.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter-

Larry H has answered your questions fully. Good job!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Epoxy Reply with quote

I built two wooden boats using System 3 epoxy and had a good experience with the durability of this product. I plan to use System 3 for my Tomcat installations.
Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed my own last year and on a 22, the roof isn't cored - at least not out at the place where a radar arch would typically be installed (e.g. on the flats outside of the center rising portion). Mine just had fiberglass there.

There's several places where the installation could conceivably leak -
1) under the base and through the large hole cut for the wiring
2) from the top down - e.g. water getting into the arch and coming in. This could happen if the cable from the radar doesn't have a low spot in it prior to entering the arch - e.g. water can wick down the cable.
3) Through the holes that are drilled to bolt on the arch.

You might want to see if you can determine the path. Water with a fluorescent dye can sometimes be helpful for that.

I installed mine with liberal amounts of 5200 and have had no problems. I also put liberal amounts on each bolt and made sure I had good size fender washers on the inside to spread out the load. So far, so good.

Larry H

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A warning,

5200 is an ADHESIVE. If you ever plan on removing the part use 4200, a sealant-adhesive. Tough, but removable. Removing hardware mounted with 5200 can result in damage to the fiberglass. They now make a solvent to remove 5200.
Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, on our 2005 CD22, the roof is definitely cored with balsa. I think my problem is that I didn't liberally use the sealant. Unfortunately, I used 5200 so I'll see how hard/easy it is to get off using the Debond stuff. Crying or Very sad

I also asked one of the guys at the Tanner Radar Arch booth at the boat show and he told me that they bed their radar arches using Sikaflex 291. It's a bedding compound, not an adhesive, which makes sense. I think he was horrified when I told them I used 5200. Embarassed So that's what I'll use when I reinstall, if I can ever get the arch off the roof.

Matt & Larry, which System 3 product did you use? I look on their site and there seemed to be lots of choices. I like the idea of getting the cartridge and not having to mix.

Peter
Larry H

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

My use of system three was big boat construction where I bought 5 gal jugs of resin and hardener and mixed my own.

I just purchased some of the gel glue in the tube and I am going to try it out. I would call System Three and ask them which product to use. If you give me a couple of days I will call them and find out. I want to know for myself. Those tubes look like a winner. Just use a small amount and cap off the rest.

Perhaps Dr. Bob (thataway) will tell us his preferred product.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the Marine Tex is the easiest and cheapest It has a filler in the epoxy material, and you don't have to mix the epoxy with various fillers. Although the ratio is 5 parts of epoxy to 1 part of hardner, the epoxy seems to be very tolerant of the hardner and epoxy ratio. It is easy to drill into, to sand, and to screw into. You don't have to buy pumps, or fillers etc.

System 3 I believe uses 2:1 by volume, and West Systems comes in several various ratios depending on use--the fast set is 1:1 in the half pint size. I buy the 104 resin in the gallon size, and the hardner in the appropiate size, and keep slow, regular and fast hardner, and the appropiate pumps on hand. I also use cabosil (fumed silica) and medium density filler for this type of application. I use West, because I have used it for many years, and I am familiar with its properties--not because it is any better. There are a lot of "tricks" and there will be a learing curve for any resin used. But the MarineTex is very easy. I use a tooth pick to push the epoxy into the hole, and undercut area. I usually use a Dremel tool for the undercutting and balsa removal--it seems to give a bit smoother area where it cuts the balsa.

I use 4200, unless it is a plastic I am bedding, then I use Boat Life, Life Caulk--which is a urethane/silicone combination.

There seems to be some variation from year to year and model to model as far as the balsa core. My CD 25, has balsa only on the side, not on the center of the roof. My Tom Cat has it both on the sides and center.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Holoholo

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I used 5200 a few days ago for putting down the tank strips to the floor and noticed that you recommended 4200. What is the difference between the two?

Vern
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,
I had good luck removing a small fitting that had been put on with 5200 by using a short piece of spectra fishing line(very thin and strong.) I used it to basically saw under the fitting and cut the adhesive. You will still have a hard time removing all the old bedding but with the metal base removed the debonding agent can work much better and there is less chance of damaging the gel coat.

Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are the best. I think I even have an unused, unopened box of MarineTex.

Bob, I think you're probably right about the center of the roof not being cored. Where I drilled the holes for the radar arch was on the sides.

Thanks for the tip using Spectra fishing line Ken. I might give that a shot. It looks like we might have a nice weekend, a brief respite if you will, from this cold damp winter. I might try to do it this weekend. Wish me luck.

Peter
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
doc

City/Region: Auke Bay
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Bella Rey
Photos: C-Alaska
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogon dory wrote:
Ideally an existing breathing hole can be found and involves the minimum wait because the seals are already using it. However it is possible to cut a new hole with a chain saw and it can be productive.

Took me a while. S E A L I N G H O L E S

Larry H

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vern,

5200 is an adhesive, that is , a glue. Use it to put stuff together when you don't want to take it apart again.

4200 is a sealant, with good adhesion, but stuff sealed with it can be taken apart again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: