Bushnell Onix 400 - XM NavRadio

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boodalu

City/Region: Lake Ozark
State or Province: MO
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: BOODALU
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Bushnell Onix 400 - XM NavRadio Reply with quote

I am looking at buying a handheld GPS as a backup to my Lowrance unit. I was looking at the Lowrance iFinder H20C but came upon the Bushnell Onix 400 which has XM NavWeather capability. I sent a question to the company about the Onix ability to read other map chips (e.g. Navionics) but have yet to hear back. Anyone have any information / advice on this unit or others that could serve as a back-up? Since I boat mostly on the Mississippi the ability to read "river charts" is key.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the Bushnell Inox 400 a year ago--and didn't consider it then because of the map resolution, the costs of downloading satellite images, and the lack of marine charts. I am not sure if the XM NavWeather agreement has been worked out with Bushnell yet or not. There was a recent financila piece which suggested that, but there was also a post on a GPS site saying it didn't work last week. The XM weather is well proven and one of the portables which use it is the Garmin 376 (which has a built in XM weather and XM radio reciever, as well as --at about twice the price. I use a Garmin 176 as a back up--good Garmin maps are available, it works on batteries and on 12 volts, and is a well proven unit.

The I finder H2O C is certainly a good GPS, cheaper than the Bushnell, and the Garmin. The advantage is both the Create a map Topo and the use of Navionics or NautiPath chart chips.

I think that Garmin is the only chart plotter which actually uses the XM weather (the Bushnell is thru the Baron XMC serice--which also powers laptops--and I blieve is used by the military) Most of the other XM weather services are thru computers.

Of course there is Sirius weather: RayMarine, Furuno, Nothstar and PC--but no Lowarance...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: