The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Solar Panels - Looks Like a Good Buy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Solar Panels - Looks Like a Good Buy Reply with quote

These 15 watt Brunton SolarFlats are $180 on the Brunton site, $99 sale priced at C&C Outdoors...anybody used them? They look like just the ticket to me!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're interested in solar panels, here's a site that lists the cheapest panels, daily. Just watch out for Chinese panels, they don't have a good rep (yet.) $4 per watt is a good price.

Solar Panels

It worked for me, I just got 2.5 Kw.The site mainly lists large panels (200 watts,) but if you look at some of the referenced sites, they also have smaller ones. Note the string output voltage, since our boats run on 12 volts. You're looking for ~16 VDC.

I used Hitachi on the boat, and BP for home. They both were well made and sealed, good for ocean use.

Boris
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you tell if a panel is made in China from this site?

Thanks,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
hughpenk

City/Region: Waterford--Intersection of Hudson River/Chaimplain Canal and Mohawk River Erie Canal
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Photos: CD 16 (hughpenk)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was not impressed by the 1 year warrenty on the bruntons
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess to find out where the panel are made, you have to ask the distributor. If they say "I don't know," they're from someplace he doesn't want to say. Other than that, use known brands, and you can check their web site. Hitachi are made in Japan, BP are made in the USA, etc.

The BP's had a 25-12-5 year warranty, which was needed to get the Calif rebate. 25-12 was power output, 5 on the panels. Outside of workman
ip, what's there to go wrong with a solar panel?

Boris
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
Quote:
...what's there to go wrong with a solar panel?

Drop or set something heavy on it, connections can corrode (don't ask on the first one... Embarassed )

BTW, as most know, the rigid, thick panels are MUCH more efficient producing energy than the flex panels. But sometimes flex is the best or only way to go. I have a 20 yr old flexible 30 Watt unit, 3/16" thick, I store it under one side of the V-berth, it's about 4ft long by 14-16" wide. I just tie it down on the roof when I need it, works great for my needs, no degradation over the years!

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Siemens solar panel, the rigid multi crystal type, and they guaranteed it to produce 80 or 90%(can't remember now) of the rated output for 10? years. If the output fell, they would give me a panel to make up the difference.

I think it is important to get a panel with a long warranty.

If the panel costs $300 then the first day of operation it costs $300 per day. After 365 days, the cost has gone down to $0.82 per day. After 10 years the cost is $0.0082 per day or $30 per year.

I used the panel I bought for 15 years and it was still working fine when I sold the boat. I assume the new owner is still using the panel.

A quality solar panel is a good long term investment, with a very low maintenance cost.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how many watts do people have for their on-board solar panel(s)? 15 watts is just over 1 amp, right? (Watts divided by volts gives amps, if I recall correctly). Some minimum that is useful? I suppose the answer is as many watts as you can afford and fit? But the little 1 watt chargers probably are not terribly useful?

Larry H wrote:

A quality solar panel is a good long term investment, with a very low maintenance cost.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
So, how many watts do people have for their on-board solar panel(s)? 15 watts is just over 1 amp, right? (Watts divided by volts gives amps, if I recall correctly). Some minimum that is useful? I suppose the answer is as many watts as you can afford and fit? But the little 1 watt chargers probably are not terribly useful?

Pat - yes Watts/Volts=Amps. A 1 watt charger would hence provide only about 1/12 of an amp (83mA) of current. Hence, if your goal is to keep the main batteries charged, it is probably not that useful. Typical tricker chargers (which will maintain the batteries just fine) put out 0.5-1.5A. A panel that does that would maintain your batteries just fine assuming there are not losses other than the normal discharge rate of the batteries.

Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to add to my 'efficiency' comment of rigid vs flexable panels, that's in terms of the amount of area required to put out the same wattage. Thus a smaller area rigid/thicker panel will put out the same as a larger, flex panel.

P (Watts) = I (amps) x E (Volts), so I = P/E, yep. (I like P=IE for its anchronyms, don't know why...)

On solar panels there are a few factors to consider. When it is advertised for 30 Watts, that is the MAXIMUM it will put out with the sun 'directly' or nearly directly overhead, like at the equator. It is rarely achieved. Also, the current you get out of the panel is dependent on the battery's state of charge. If the battery is already fully charged and you're not using power on the boat, the panel will appear to not put out much current. A panel without voltage regulation (you should regulate above 30 Watts generally), puts out about 16-16.5 volts (open circuit). But the low current output of smaller wattage units generally won't harm your batteries.

I typically get 1.5 amps on a good day with my 30W unit during the 'peak' 4 hours of the mid-day sun in the summer. Winter is less because the sun's is less optimum. That's why you see some sailboats with their solar panels angled to be more perpendicular to the sun, and even some elaborate systems to track the sun!

Oh, and don't forget the diodes on larger panels (or unplug them), when the sun goes down, the panel will actually reverse 'suck' the current out of your system -- slightly.
Larry H

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

For a rigid panel, made with separate cells, the number of cells should be 36 to provide a higher open circuit voltage for charging. This panel is 32 watts. Here is photo of the panel on the Nancy H.

To prevent overcharging during storage I disconnected the panel. This panel has internal diodes so night time current drainage was not a problem.
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry H wrote:
If the panel costs $300 then the first day of operation it costs $300 per day. After 365 days, the cost has gone down to $0.82 per day. After 10 years the cost is $0.0082 per day or $30 per year.

So if you use it 30 times a year is the cost about $10.00 a day?
________
Dave
Larry H

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave said,

Quote:
So if you use it 30 times a year is the cost about $10.00 a day?

Yes, if you throw it away after one year!! Sad

But I said,

Quote:
I used the panel I bought for 15 years and it was still working fine when I sold the boat. I assume the new owner is still using the panel.

The panel will also maintain the battery charge during storage outside (not while indoors) without requiring a 120 volt plug in. The panel could also maintain the boat's battery while the boat was stored indoors in a shed with no 120 volt power, if the panel was placed outside or in a shed window(south facing) and wired to the battery.

Wink

Larry H
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another cyber mystery--I had asked what was the right sized panel for a C Dory yesterday--sort of answered, but still not sure. I use a couple of watt pannel to maintain the disconnected batteries on my Van I keep in Calif--and it is alway charged up. It seems like 15 watts is more than you need for "trickle charge"--and not enough for substantial power if you are anchored.

If you are cruising and run each day, the 30 to 45 amp alternator (or more for twins) should keep the batteries topped off--perhaps unless you have a refigerator.

So, what is the need for an average C Dory at anchor--using the Wallas, for 2 hours a day, running the small refigerator--figure 2 amps an hour, add in lights, plus satellite radio for a few hours at night? The refigeration would be the largest draw--50 amps? Next would be an anchor light at another 10 amps, finally the sterio for another 10 amps the stove an amp or two. Figure 70 to 80 amps a day? So would two 100 to 150 amp pannels be adequate for "energy independant" for a C Dory? (another arguement against the refigerator--but we have been there)

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Brent and Dixie have the answer, Dr. Bob. They wrote the following on another thread on refrigerators 2/6/08, but didn't mention how many total watts of panels they have, maybe they'll chime in:
Quote:
On Discovery we have the Norcold refrigerator and a Weco Fridge/Freezer. They are both hooked to the port battery bank (two D34 Exide Orbital batteries). The batteries are recharged by the port motor, also by solar panels on the cabin roof. I also have a charge line from the truck to the port battery bank. When we travel with the boat, we turn on the fridge and the Waeco when we leave home, and they run 24/7 until we return. Last winter that was from Dec. 25th until the middle of March. Occasionally we have to run our Honda 2000 if there has been a few days of heavy cloud cover, while on the hook. I admit that the fridge, freezer and solar panels have added close to $2,000.00 to the cost of the TomCat, but sure make it nice for cruising. We never have to find the next place to buy ice.

We use the boat as a camper and live in it as we travel across the country-like "Wild Blue", Jim and Joan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: