View previous topic :: View next topic  
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: paper charts vs: navionic chips Reply with quote

hello,
i would like to purchase one or the other but not both. i currently have a raychart 435 chartplotter/gps system. i'm going to be traveling the icw, in the florida area, west side.
seeking wisdom on which charts to purchase, paper vs: navionic chip cf/16xg, retails for $199.. or thereabout.
responses are greatly appreciated.
thanks
pat
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, in my book they are mutually exclusive. I'd get both.

You can find ICW chartbooks which are less expensive than buying all the paper charts individually and that give much more info. The chip will cover the whole shebang. Always good to have a backup, you won't be sorry (only a little poorer!)

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pat,

I like to have both onboard. We found chartbooks available for most of Florida - much handier and less expensive than buying each chart separately. You can also download (and print) NOAA charts for free (or use them with a laptop onboard). Used with our chartplotter, AND a good cruising guide, the paper charts make your life easier by having the "big picture" and detail.

I know there are folks who run with just a chartplotter... some old pilot habits don't go away - even with a bag full of Jepps IFR books, I always had VFR charts, as well. Good info makes the cruising less stressful, IMHO.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
ahpeterson

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a purist. While I love my plotter, I would never set out on unfamiliar (or really any) waters without proper paper charts.

I've always been partial to chart books, as they are much easier to manage than proper NOAA charts (especially with the limited space in a C-dory). So, while I would consider going out with only paper charts, I'd never go out with only electronic charts. While electronics can break, it would take a fairly massive flood or fire to make your paper charts not work. And if you've got a flood or fire, you've got bigger things to worry about than your navigation references.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahpeterson wrote:
I'm a purist. While I love my plotter, I would never set out on unfamiliar (or really any) waters without proper paper charts.

I've always been partial to chart books, as they are much easier to manage than proper NOAA charts (especially with the limited space in a C-dory). So, while I would consider going out with only paper charts, I'd never go out with only electronic charts. While electronics can break, it would take a fairly massive flood or fire to make your paper charts not work. And if you've got a flood or fire, you've got bigger things to worry about than your navigation references.

+1 for both Mr. Green Beer
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Ditto Reply with quote

Ditto on the advice Pat, don't 'let go last lines' without two means of navigation. I always carry paper charts, divider, parallel ruler, and hand held GPS just in case the primary system fails.

I also like to plan trips using the paper charts. Some say you can use the chartplotters but I like to look at the big picture and write down eta's, magnetic courses to be followed, etc. If your primary system craps out, and you're on course, just follow the compass (and backup GPS).

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
garyk

City/Region: Ketchum
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: AMIGO 11
Photos: Amigo II
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,
We have a Raymarine C80 chart plotter with all the current up dates. It is backed up by a Garmin 176C hand held GPS, with Marine Blue Charts, mounted on the port side for the co-pilot. Some paper charts, but used only for planing, never for navigation.
This past two summers we made two trips to Alaska,covered 6000 mi.
We rely totaly on the electronics. We have explored back country, narrow channels, rocky passages, etc. The chart is always directly in front of the helm. The 1st mate double checking with the Garmin when in tight places.
We have found the systems, Garmin and Raymarine, a given rock location may differ by a few feet, but when zoomed in tight, both agree, within six feet. Most of the time they place the object in the same place.
We depend on the sonar when in tight places, but found the contour lines very accurate, especially when zoomed in.
With this system, we have two independed electrical sources, The hand held uses four AA batteries, not rechargables.
Making these trips with only paper charts would have been very difficult. We would have had the cabin full of charts.
Hope this helps,
Gary
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for both. I have a C-80 with navionics chips, a Garmin GPSMAP76C for backup and ditchbag, and paper charts. I don't get the large scale individual charts equivalent to 7.5 minute topo charts, rather I carry small scale charts that give enough detail over a large area that in a pinch I could navigate by them and are really the best for route planning. But then I'm a very cautious guy.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we came through the ICW we depended on two methods of navigating: MapTech chart kits and the chartplotter on the computer. Times have changed and we now have dedicated chartplotters. However we used both, and one still should use both the paper trail and the electronic picture. Tux Film Email Lips Rose

For the paper charts, when the ICW meanders (and it does, coming up the East Coast) Judy would mark off the bouys on the Chartkit, and look ahead to the next one. I'd look at the computer, with GPS, and see exactly where we were. Worked great and we only went aground 1/2 dozen times (6 ft keel.) The chartkits are (relatively) cheap and they keep you out of trouble. I think they now even come with a CD, because all the charts are now free on the Internet. Also the chartkits let you plan where you can anchor (in conjunction with the cruising guide,) how things are ahead of you etc.

The chartplotter, computer or dedicated, is mandatory to see where you are. There's a lot of swamps, inlets, etc. that spread all over the place. And those electronic charts are even more accurate then they used to be.

Capn Bobs ICW guide was detailed and had a LOT of local information. Also cheap. I understand this it's being updated. It really told of the local anchorages and marina. Moon

Boris
patrick and linda

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I AGREE WITH ALL RESPONSES. MY GOAL WAS TO LIMIT EXPENSES AND PURCHASE THE SINGLE BEST PROGRAM. BEING LOST IS NOT A CONCERN AS I'LL BE TRAVELING IN PROTECTED WATERS, HAVING LAND ON BOTH SIDES. I GENERALLY CARRY BOTH PAPER AND CHIP FOR THE OTHER AREAS THAT WE BOAT IN, AND PROBABLY SHOULD DO THE SAME FOR THIS TRIP. IN OPEN WATERS I'M LOADED WITH CHARTS, ELECTRONICS, SEXTON, CELL PHONE, MULTIPLE VHF'S, AND EMPTY WINE BOTTLE WITH (SEND HELP) NOTE INSIDE.
WHAT I'M HEARING IS , DO IT RIGHT! WELL HEARD.
THANKS AGAIN,
PAT

PS. CAPT. MATTIE, I APPRECIATE THE OFFER, WILL LET YOU KNOW SOON. SAVINGS IS SAVINGS, REGARDLESS OF THE AMOUNT. CAN'T GO BROKE MAKING MONEY.
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Last option Reply with quote

Ha ha ha! I have to admit an empty wine bottle with a "Send Help!" note inside is not part of my current inventory. With some of the currents we have up here it might be a solid option though....
patrick and linda

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY, I'M ON THE OHIO RIVER. I CAN TELL YOU ABOUT CURRENTS.
PAT
WWW.AUTOHOMELIFE.NET
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capt. patrick campbell wrote:
I'M LOADED WITH CHARTS, ELECTRONICS, SEXTON, CELL PHONE, MULTIPLE VHF'S,

PAT

I'm fairly religious but wouldn't consider taking a ranking member of the church on a long cruise....

Oh, wait, maybe you meant sextant! Rolling Eyes

Spell check wouldn't have even caught that one Exclamation

Sounds like a great trip...

Charlie
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys kill me.....Ha ! My wife once caught me navigating with a place mat.... but I have always been that type of guy.... now I use the GPS ...I do have a spare that we carry.... but paper charts are to bulky and never handy ....
If I was planning an extended voyage I would buy a "routebook type guide" for casual reading and planning.....but the GPS does it all....so why worry.

Joel
SEA3PO
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that the GPS chart plotter is a rather recent instrument which many of us have become dependant upon. We try and have paper charts for all of our voyages. There are good reasons--including that the overview is not well seen on a chart plotter. The more you zoom out, the less detail is available (ie how high is the bridge?) On the other hand, if you zoom in, there is the "y" in the ICW where you don't know which way to go, especiall if the difference between the channels is only a few degrees--so the paper chart is almost essential for "planning".

We normally run with two chart plotters--one zoomed in to a mile or so, the other at 5 or more miles (depending on where we are.). We back up with a computer which has all of the electronic charts of the US on the hard drive.

We have voyaged several hundred thousand miles with no GPS. We have even used a detailed road map to "navigate" the coast of Yugoslovia. We have gone up inlets in the PNW where there was no chart available. All of these were done safely. It remains the prudent navigator who stays out of trouble--but takes as many precautions as he can to avoid difficult situations.

For planning the old chart or chart book works well. You can save some $ by contacting consignment shops for used charts or chart books, or watch on some of the forums where people sell charts. When we were full time world cruising, we had several thousand charts aboard--and often traded them, or purchased them for a dollar or so. They were very rarely up to date, but we had an up to date light list or coast pilot.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: