View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: CD16 Fuel Tanks - Range for Lake Powell Reply with quote

OK, we are contemplating taking the CD16 Crabby Lou to Lake Powell in September (hello, Rana Verda Chris, are you out there?). Right now, we have a single 12 gallon portable fuel tank. It would definitely be easy to add a second 12 gallon tank, for a total of 24 gallons. As far as I can tell so far, the old Johnson 40 two stoke turns in 5 - 6 statute miles per gallon...this leaves me a bit uneasy about our range and cruising on Lake Powell...so, my questions are, how far between fuel stops? What have other folks with CD16s done there?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangling Rope is about 41 miles plus another 3 to 5 depends on where you launch--and Halls' crossing/bulldog is 95 miles from Page launching areas.--so 50 mile range will get you from marina to marina--with not much reserve. A 120 mile range should allow you do do pretty much what you want with some side canyon trips--and occasionally back to marina for fuel. We generally fill up when we get ice etc--and never got much below half tanks on the CD 22.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right around 50 miles between fuel stop. Bullfrog and Halls @mm95, Dangling Rope@mm40, Antelope @mm 5 or 6 in maytag straights, Hite is out of the water right now, but it is @mm 140. Google Stan Jones map it is a very good map for site seeing. Fishing maps are good for fishing. Just bring 2 or 3 5 gallon cans and a wonder pump siphon hose, they work great.

oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat – it looks like 24 gallons will give you 120+ mile range you would want on Lake Powell. If you carry extra gas, do it in 2 or 2 ½ gallon containers. Five gallon containers are hard to manage in a rocking boat when you want to refill your fuel tanks. The 2 gallon containers are ten times as easy to use. You can also use them as ballast to balance the boat.
________
Dave
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave You are right about the smaller containers. Thats why I use the Wonder pump siphon hose. It has a copper fitting on one end with a glass ball in it. I just set a 5 gallons of gas on the Lazaret put the siphon hose in the fuel port and the copper end in the gas can, then you shake the copper end up and down that starts the siphon. It will drain the can bone dry and you don't have to hold the can and you won't spill a drop. On my Fourwinns you would have to hang over the side to refuel. With the hose you can relax and let it do the work. 2-1/2 gal cans would be a lot easier to hide in the boat. I usually empty the cans as soon as I can so I just have the empties to deal with.
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I will just have to get another 12 gallon portable tank and carry a bit more gas (I do have one of those siphons like Jody described, it is slick).
Steve Grover

City/Region: Lake Tahoe
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Tee Ten
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: fuel for Lake Powell Reply with quote

I ran my 16'er with a Yamaha 50 200 miles on Powell last spring and burned about 38 gals. total. I have a 14 gal. tank under the transom and 2 six gal spares. I always had plenty of fuel.
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel for Lake Powell Reply with quote

Yes, 38 gallons for 200 miles computes to 5.2 mpg, that is about the same as the old Johnson 40 turns in I think. I will have two 12 gallon tanks, and probably 5 more in a plastic gas container. I will probably want to be looking for gas to top off about every 80 miles or so. I am not familiar enough with Lake Powell and where the fuel is, I would sure like to have a bit more range however.

Steve Grover wrote:
I ran my 16'er with a Yamaha 50 200 miles on Powell last spring and burned about 38 gals. total. I have a 14 gal. tank under the transom and 2 six gal spares. I always had plenty of fuel.
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jody - I just ordered the Stan Jones map. Right now we can only dream about Lake Powell, blue skies and sunshine...

jkidd wrote:
Right around 50 miles between fuel stop. Bullfrog and Halls @mm95, Dangling Rope@mm40, Antelope @mm 5 or 6 in maytag straights, Hite is out of the water right now, but it is @mm 140. Google Stan Jones map it is a very good map for site seeing. Fishing maps are good for fishing. Just bring 2 or 3 5 gallon cans and a wonder pump siphon hose, they work great.
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pat..... Here''s an idea.... Sue and I will probably go now that she will be retired..... and we could carry a couple of spare cans for you....

Joel
SEA3PO
Water Bill

City/Region: Lake Keowee, SC
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: Mystery Girl (Ranger Tug R-23)
Photos: Mystery Girl and C-Swell
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel for Lake Powell Reply with quote

Pat,

I have a 1986 Boston Whaler Super Sport 17 with a 90 HP Johnson on it and have made many trips to Lake Powell with it in the past. Most of these trips were for three day weekends. The Whaler is equipped with two 12 gallon tanks. On my Lake Powell trips I would carry two extra 5 gallon plastic containers of gas. I usually put in at Halls Crossing and only once did I have to buy additional gas at Dangling Rope when we went all the way down to Rainbow Bridge.

If you stay at cruising speed most the time I think you should be fine with two 12 gallon tanks and one 5 gallon in reserve. Two might be better if you have room and don't mind the additional weight.

I purchased a C-Dory 22 last September and have not made it to Lake Powell with it yet. I am shooting for Memorial Day weekend. I will watch for further developments on this September gathering and would like to be able to go along on it.

Bill
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't understand is why you would take a CD 16' when you have a CD 25'? Outside of the 4 marinas, its beach camping. For two adults you would be much more comfortable sleeping and cooking on the CD25'. Are you planning on sleeping in a tent, or on the boat? Just my 2 cents worth.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Dave T

City/Region: Brier
C-Dory Year: 1992
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: none
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: CD-16 > 27.5 Gallons Reply with quote

I have a 16-Angler and am able to carry 27.5 gals - all comprised of 3-tanks under the transom well >> they are:
one 6-gallon tank
one 12-gallon tank
one 9.5 gallon tank.

Looking at the stern, from the cabin > I have placed the tanks (starting on the left) 6-gallon, then 12-gallon, then 9.5-gallon. I have a Suzuki 55-HP, which gets about 5 to 6 MPG, so with that, I'm able to go about 150 miles (+/-). Of course...as any good boater...I wouldn't want to push it to that limit. :)

All the tanks are red-plastic tanks, purchased at West Marine.

Happy boating....

Dave T.
Seattle, WA
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spirit of adventure, Brent! This will be a camping trip more than a cruise! And boat fuel and tow vehicle fuel cost are a factor...we will have a small tent for shore camping, but I am still working on the idea of sleeping on-board. The main obstacle to being able to stretch out is the pedestal style seats. If anybody has an idea here about what to replace them with I would sure welcome hearing from them! Was also toying with the idea of opening up the cuddy on the port side and putting in a CD16 Cruiser style sleeping platform and cushions - Patty kind of vetoed that. I still like the idea myself - the weight would be farther forward than in the Cruiser and the boat would have overall better balance I think. If I could go for a month or several months, we would definitely take the CD25...but to drive a couple of thousand miles for 10 days or two weeks, the light little CD16 seems appealing!

Discovery wrote:
What I don't understand is why you would take a CD 16' when you have a CD 25'? Outside of the 4 marinas, its beach camping. For two adults you would be much more comfortable sleeping and cooking on the CD25'. Are you planning on sleeping in a tent, or on the boat? Just my 2 cents worth.
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To amplify a bit, according to Google Maps, it is 1200 miles even from Preston, WA (where we hop on I-90) to Wahweap, AZ, the closest launch ramp coming from our direction. Mountain Home, ID, is 527 miles from Preston, which would be a pretty good first day towing anything...I probably don't have the stamina to do that anyway. This is a two and a half day (or more) trip each way, any way you slice it...so five days (at least, we actually like to stop for potty breaks and lunch!). With a 2400 mile round trip, I will have to take two weeks off to get one week on the lake...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: