City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best Day wrote:
Very nice looking construction and install on the tanks. They look very professional and add fuel capacity without losing usable space.

How much do they hold?

Bill

Bill - Each tank will hold 22 gallons but I rarely put more than 20 gallons in each tank. I can use fuel out of either tank individually or both at the same time. With my switch on both, the tanks will self-level until I have less than three gallons per tank.

Venting was a problem because of the height of the tanks. I wanted the vents to be away from the deck, so I ran a line forward into the berth area and up the side of the cabin. You can see the vent in this photo. It is the silver dot between the side cleat and the C in C-Voyager. That location also protects it from water intrusion from sea spray.

There are two baffles in each tank to keep fuel from sloshing back and forth. A problem I had with the venting was, when the tanks were full and I would make any moderate to fast stop on a downhill slope, fuel would come out of the vent. I solved that with a vent surge protector. I should have put another baffle in the tank next to the vent hole when I made them.

The fill line had to be mounted on the end of the tank. There was not enough room to put a fill pipe on top of the tank. Because of the end mount, when you are fuelling up, the last two gallons go in very slow.

Pressure testing is very important when building fuel tanks. 4 psi for 48 hours is what they are normally tested at. I put 6 psi for 8 days just to make absolutely sure they would not leak.

________
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: