The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Ranger 25'/Dealer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rdn4sun

City/Region: SE
State or Province: SC
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Ranger 25'/Dealer Reply with quote

Hi All,
Anyone know something about Harborview Marina in NC and/or the Ranger 25' they have had for sale?
Thanks.

El Moe

:^)>
henrym

City/Region: Vero Beach
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Little Toot
Photos: Little Toot
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this boat has been in stock for a while and has a low HIN.
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure would not let a low production number slow me down if I were looking... What you want to do is make sure the guarantee is from the day of purchase....and that you will be the first owner...
From what I have heard, and especially with Jeff at the factory.... They stand behind the product.... and are quick to make any repairs as they are located.... all boats have little flaws... it's normal.... what is not normal is having a company that will stand behind the product.....and make it right....

I understand that they are very proud of their product and will almost kill themselves to build a good customer base.... kinda like what C-Dory used to build their reputation .....

Joel
SEA3PO
henrym

City/Region: Vero Beach
Vessel Name: Little Toot
Photos: Little Toot
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long ago I made the mistake of purchasing a new aircraft with a low serial number.
The F.A.A. issued several costly Air Worthiness Directives for the early production planes.

I think the same somewhat holds true for boats. Let the dust settle a bit, so the manufacturer can
make the necessary changes that they did not envision with the early production boats. There
have already been several minor improvement changes with the Ranger 25, and there will
probably be more to come.

I think it goes without saying that Ranger Tugs will stand behind their products. I just want to
reduce the chances of encountering any future problems.

Therefore, I decided to pass on the the above mentioned boat and am taking delivery next
week of the Miami Boat Show Ranger 25 that has the optional 150hp Cummins engine.

Henry
terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: ranger Reply with quote

I am looking at a Ranger...hull somewhere in the late 40's....110 Yanmar FWC...Have the kinks been ironed out of the Yanmar? I believe the wiring problems have been taken care of in this edition. I plan to talk with Jeff about the boat.
terraplane
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ranger Reply with quote

Tom,

I would be confident that the kinks had been worked out on a Ranger with a hull number in the 40s - BUT with the 110 Yanmar, it will still be underpowered for a planing hull. If you are content with slow cruising, go for it! We loved this boat, but could not abide the idea of the cruise speed. Otherwise, I would definitely hang on until one of the Cummins-powered Rangers shows up in your area!

Pat

terraplane wrote:
I am looking at a Ranger...hull somewhere in the late 40's....110 Yanmar FWC...Have the kinks been ironed out of the Yanmar? I believe the wiring problems have been taken care of in this edition. I plan to talk with Jeff about the boat.
terraplane

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question is what will happen to the resale of the older 110 hp Rangers? I suspect in the long haul, that most folks will find that they run them like trawlers, not speed boats...The fuel consumption will be exponential with the higher speeds. (not a thing wrong with the Cummins engine, but it is using just that much more HP---and fuel).

The arguement can always be had for waiting for the latest...xxx--but then life has passed you buy. At my point in live--an extra year is a gift--you might consider that even in mid life too! It slides by awful fast!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
SGIRhino
Dealer

City/Region: Eastpoint
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Yanmar Powered R-25's Reply with quote

The truth is that the last two R-25's to be built with 110 hp Yanmar's will cost LESS than those with lower HIN's. Ranger dropped the $4000 price increase for the upgrade on these two hulls and is offering the SS mast for free as a boat show special. Hull #76 in Claret Red and fully equipped lands today!

Charlie

Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is of course a lot of truth to what Bob says...life goes by too fast to wait. Case in point, all my Dad wanted to do his whole life was get a little motorcycle. Work always got in the way. At age 73 he finally bought one, a nice little Yamaha 250, passed the written test and scheduled the riding test for his license endorsement. On the very day before his riding test, he had his stroke, from which he never fully recovered. End of story - he never got to ride that motorcycle. On the Ranger 25, if the last two 110 Yanmar models look like a reasonable buy, and it sounds like they will be, then then go for it - next year may be too late. Also, the original sales pitch, that this would be a fast, economical cruiser, was (as a wise old sage explained to Patty and me at breakfast one morning) against the laws of physics. You can has an economical cruiser, or a fast cruiser, but you can't have both...
terraplane

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: ranger Reply with quote

I am especially tuned to Bob's point about the speed of time passing...I just rolled into 70! Unbelieveable to me. I am only 32! I realize that boating time is finite...of course, runnning down the Bay at 90 would be grand.
Re: the 110. The 25 I am looking at is equipped with the 110 Yanmar, FWC. All of my previous boats, except the C Dory, were wood deadrises, with top speeds of 8 to 9 knots. I find that with the C Dory, over three years, I mostly run at 7 ro 8 knots and run hard only to keep the engine cleaned up. Only once have i (poor planning) been caught out and had to race to port to avoid a boomer. So, speed is not the issue for me.

I'm thinking of putting my 22 up for sale for 41,500. It is well maintained,Honda 90, with 330 hours...serviced by Honda mechanic every 100 hours.

We'll see.

terraplane
YACD

City/Region: Middle River, Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: MD
Photos: F. Silvestris
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
There is of course a lot of truth to what Bob says...life goes by too fast to wait. Case in point, all my Dad wanted to do his whole life was get a little motorcycle. Work always got in the way. At age 73 he finally bought one, a nice little Yamaha 250, passed the written test and scheduled the riding test for his license endorsement. On the very day before his riding test, he had his stroke, from which he never fully recovered. End of story - he never got to ride that motorcycle.......

I came across this at http://www.his.com/~vann/KrgStuff/Krognidx.htm.

A small boy heard the ocean roar,
"There are secrets on my distant shore
But beware my child the ship's bell's wail,
Wait not too long to start to sail."

So quickly come and go the years
And a young adult stands abeach - with fears.
"Come on, come on," the ocean cussed,
"Time passes on, oh sail you must."

Now it's business in middle-aged prime
And maybe tomorrow there'll be time,
Now is too soon - it's raining today.
Gone, all gone - years are eaten away.

An old man looks out, still feeling the lure
Yet he'll suffer the pain than go for the cure.
The hair is white, the step's with care.

So all too soon the secrets are buried
Along with him and regrets he carried
And it's not for loss of secrets he cried
But rather because he'd never tried.
PenguinPA

City/Region: Tacoma
Vessel Name: R'Dragon
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: 110hp Reply with quote

Hi all,
I had the opportunity to work with Skippercress during the boat show and got intimately familiar with the "numbers" on the 3 different engines. Honestly for the money, I think the 110hp is the best....Little weak, but the 130hp ($5000) tops out at 20kts, my 110hp 18-18.5kts. The 150hp ($8000) tops at 22kts.

Just my observation but I think the Yanie is best bet for $/kts. By the way, I am cruising @ 13kts around 3000rpm. Rough math says around 2.7gph

Whatever your choice, ENJOY! This boat is great fun and with Jeff & Andrew providing awesome customer service, it just gets better everyday!

terraplane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: ranger Reply with quote

Well, I've decided to go for the Ranger 25. Of course it all depends on selling my present 22' and anyone interested, contact me to talk. I'm a flexible guy.
Re: the choice of engine. On one site which talks about fuel prices in the future there is mention of limiting consumption by rationing...and the possibility of fuel topping out at $6 a gallon, gas or diesel, in about five years. If this is true, cruising along at 7 knots with small fuel consumption will be fine for me.
If this deal does not work out, Sally's Sister will dance again this year and i'll be fine.

terraplane
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: ranger Reply with quote

Well, Tom - get Sally's Sister up on the Boats for Sale thread, with pictures and a good description, I bet she will go fast at $41,500...

terraplane wrote:
Well, I've decided to go for the Ranger 25. Of course it all depends on selling my present 22' and anyone interested, contact me to talk. I'm a flexible guy.
Re: the choice of engine. On one site which talks about fuel prices in the future there is mention of limiting consumption by rationing...and the possibility of fuel topping out at $6 a gallon, gas or diesel, in about five years. If this is true, cruising along at 7 knots with small fuel consumption will be fine for me.
If this deal does not work out, Sally's Sister will dance again this year and i'll be fine.

terraplane
terraplane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: c ranger Reply with quote

Pat,
I posted it with description, but forgot to put the year, so it is at the top of the list...will that cause a problem do you think?
I refer interested people to the Sally's Sister pictures in my photo album.

How are things with you guys?

tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: