The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

R-21 ec more hp ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: R-21 ec more hp ? Reply with quote

Hey brats, anyone have any ideas on what it would take to get a r21ec to achieve a cruise speed of 12-14 mph? i boat mostly in the hudson river and LIsound i want to buy a r21ec took a demo at dealer [coeymans] in upstate NY and luv that little tug.a brief history i have owned manny small deep v hulls and over powerd /proped for top speed only for poker runs and pleasure and i know it doesnt apply to this site so i wont bore u guys with that. i would buck up for more hp /would the hull handle it? and still track right ? my concern is i dont want to crawl against current in hell gate or east river i boat alot in LI NY and it can get nasty out there ! didn t mean to get so long winded been a member since sept 07 and this is my first post thanks in advance brats /luv this site and will start through in my two cents from now on . also cant seem to find hardly any info on r21ec /tests /reviews? anywhere not lookin to run mid 90s like my hustler 26 just lookin to hear from someone with expierence with this type of hull design . sea wolf? Confused thanks again brats john
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 3QM30 Yanmar (30hp) in my tug and I can't do it.... really pushing hard I might make 12 but not much more..... I bet you need 50hp to be able to get 14mph. Possibly you could turbocharge the three cylinder and get it....but I don't know..... If you could get the hull up on plane I would think it would go ......but I have never been able to approach that...

Joel
SEA3PO
Kea (the tug)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 to 14 knots would be an ineffecient speed for the Ranger 21. I agree that you would probably need considerably more hp--and then you may exceed the good handling speed of the hull. Some displacment and semi displacement hulls just don't do well at these speeds of 2 to 3 x length of the waterline.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply Joel .i was thinking of ordering 21ec w/o power and trying to fit a 50-70 hp,mabey move the bat. and squeeze in more hp will try to get specs from factory guys they seem approachable from what i hear on this site . full out at about 12 mph whats she like i mean is the bow out of the water a bit? do you think it would cruise all day like that /with more hp? mabey wobble port to starboard kind of like chine walkin adeep v? appriceate any info i have a small JD tractor with 3tne74 20hp yanmar that i run wide open all the time not that i would do that to the tug but trust me 1100+ hrs of abuse and sill runs great . know its been asked a bunch here but cant get enough info on how she handles rough water thanks again all john
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Have you considered a CD22 or CD Venture 23? Those boats will go either slow or fast enough (20-30 knots) to conquer Hells Gate.

You might try a PM (private message) or phone call to Les Lampman at E Q Marine. He is very knowledgeable about the Ranger Tugs and he likes the 21.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for replys ill try eq cant hurt . nothing against cd 22 just got my heart set on 21ec /my next idea is to see if dealer at coyemans will let me hang a90hp honda off the transom or 2 smaller out boards tryn to figure best way with out damage transom. hope you guys dont think im nuts (well a little mabey) just would like to get 4-5 more mph at cruise once again thank you john
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.... Even if you could do it....it would be thrilling and expensive.... I think that once the tug got up on plane it would act pretty funny ....
Originally my Tug came with a two cylinder Yanmar.....and I replaced that with the three cylinder....more power... but it was not to go fast.... I work the tug and I needed pulling power.... it now has that..... it went just as fast with the two cylinder as the three..... it's that hull speed thing...
There are harbor boats that have a much faster cruise.... ya might as well give up and get one of those.... if you don't like slow.... these are not the boats for you...

Joel
SEA3PO
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there,

Maybe I can save you the email. Smile

I'm am NOT speaking for Ranger or the Livingstons here...just me, my self, and I. I hope I don't spook them too badly!

I do believe that you'd find the 21EC to behave pretty well if you could push the speed to the mid-teens. With a brand-new boat, just me, light fuel, and no wind I could tell the boat was actually planning pretty nicely at wide open throttle. My sense was with about 50-hp that she'd just make enough extra speed to get to a comfortable mid-teen cruise. A turbo'd Yanmar 30 if they made such a beast would have been perfect for that.

The thing that is unique to this hull is that it really isn't a displacement or semi-displacement hull the way it used to be (really just displacement back then). When the Livingstons redesigned the hull it got a nice wide planning surface aft (really like a lot of recognizable planning hulls). I can't tell you what the angle of the quarter buttock line is because I never saw the drawings or asked but the 21EC does not squat when you get near planning speeds so I suspect the angle is very close to zero or just a tad more.

I know SEA3PO and Bob Austin are thinking more traditional semi-displacement hull forms and I concur completely with their thoughts if that were the case.

I'm not sure Ranger would want the 21C to go any faster but I don't think it would be a problem if one weren't looking for very high speeds (over 20 say). The boat does have a keel so one thing to watch out for is the outward lean (like a car) that the boat will have at higher speeds. It has fairly soft chines and I suspect at too high a speed with an over zealous hand on the wheel you could really get your adrenaline running in a hard turn. Run with a modicum of common sense I think it would be rather fun. Smile

www.marinautboats.com
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think the Ranger 25 with the Cummins would have the same concern in an emergency turn at speed, with quite a bit more weight up high.
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloyds wrote:
I would think the Ranger 25 with the Cummins would have the same concern in an emergency turn at speed, with quite a bit more weight up high.

Totally different hull shape; the Ranger 25 acts as a typical planning hull and leans into the turn rather than out.
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Les, dont worry they probably dont spook that easy . thanks for your reply thats all im lookin for acoupple mph. the day i went for a demo of course it was flat like glass, and the gps never pushed passed 11 mph (3 on board) guess i will start by talking to fact and go from there. it was nice hearing from someone with experience on the boat do u know of any tests that have been done on 21ec cant seem to find any ink on it.sounds like ur a dealer for them woud u be able to mail me a brouchure on them -local dealer here said he had some but ran out ..........JLF Excavating po box 329 Cornwall NY -12518 thanks brats
Bill Uffelman

City/Region: Las Vegas
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gratitude Yachting Center

5990 Lawton Ave.

Rock Hall, Md. 21661

Office: 410-639-7111 Cell: 443-480-3615

jheffner@gratitudeyachting.com

may have a 21 in stock if you want to experiment -- they do have a 25 which we hope to see on March 9.

Bill Uffelman
Las Vegas NV
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill if i werent singel handedly running my excavation co. and u werent so far away i would love to do a R&D experimenting with u . would any one out there be interested in taking me out for a coupple hrs on thier tug in ny area my 10 min demo didn"t really cut it .FUEL-LUNCH -BEER on me come on guys u remember what it was like before u bought yours ........thanks....john
Bill Uffelman

City/Region: Las Vegas
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock Hall is easily accessible from NY down I 95 to 301 -- great crabs, cold beer and you can watch folks with big boats and no skill try and enter the harbor and try to tie up at the restaurant. The Ranger dealer is on the other side of the harbor

Powered a friend's "new to him" Sabre 32 sailboat out with a heck of a headwind and an inbound 45' power boat trying to hog the channel -- his wife was on the bow trying to give him directions -- funny as all get out except she wanted us to back up!

Bill Uffelman
I do miss the Eastern Shore of MD
Las Vegas NV
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its warm here in Fl. and we have 2 !Possibly some prop work [ smaller dia. more pitch] could squeeze a little more speed ...........I think they have tried a Volvo 40 and dont know the results.....
Marc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: