The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

05/02 - 05/04 - Jarrell Cove, WA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capital Sea, Excellent Plan!!!

For those folks who have never been in Jarrell Cove, here is a picture of the State Park Dock from a few years ago.

Also, here is the web site for getting the yearly Washington State Parks Moorage permit online. Click here to see if it will save you money for the year.

http://www.parks.wa.gov/moorage/

Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbi, Nice photo, wish I was there now. See you Soon

Harvey
SleepyC

B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we hauled the boat down to Cathalamet and discovered that the trailer and boat still work and then it dawned on me that month #5 is May not June so I though we had better sign up for this South Sound jewell....watch out, hide the wine Smile

The front page water level pic of the boats is from J. Cove

hardee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Signed up now Reply with quote

Nothing like planning ahead. I thought we were signed up long ago and was just looking at the list to see how many new friends we will meet when low and behold, we were not there. So now we are, Harvey & Deena on the SleepyC. Looking forward to it.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
jstates

City/Region: SHELTON
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Endurance
Photos: Endurance
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Jarrell Cove Update Reply with quote

The launching ramp at the Hartstene Island bridge on Pickering is open. The dock is not in place but concrete pilings are - requiring some care in launching. Overnite parking not recommended -

Boston Harbor [last year round gas going North] from Olympia is where I usually purchase gas - - they have a lot of business year round so it is probably replaced often. 1-360-357-5670. There is a small store at Boston Harbor - don't have any experience with Zittles - perhaps others can provide information

Jarrell Cove Marina is not officially open till Memorial Day though they have showers and laundromat. They do not have extra slips they can promise ahead of time.

Jarell Cove State Park in the same cove does have one shower with disabled access per restroom - be sure to get your mooring permit as per Robbi above. No shore power at the State Park - there are two mooring docks and several mooring buoys on the State Park system of first come, first serve.

There is fire pit and raised charcoal grill near the shelter closest to the long dock - that is reserved for Sat pm - bring the marshmallows and guitar

Please bring charcoal and firewood to contribute to the group fire. I had a rotator cuff repair of left shoulder recently and won't be lifting/chopping a lot of wood

Some navigation suggestions -Tide rips at certain times at S end of Hartstene Island. Caution when entering Southern aspect of Peale Passage, sometimes fishing nets are across part of the channel between Hartstene Island and Squaxin -
The North end of Peal Passage is very shallow - shoal extends out from Hartstene island to mid channel. There are quite a few mid channel shallow areas West of Hartstene and Squaxin Islands

Pickering Marine 360-427-7876 is located 50 yards West of the Hartstene Island bridge boat launch ramp- Open 9 am to 3 pm on Saturday - certified Honda mechanic with reputation for honesty and good work. Access and repair complicated by lack of a dock - but ramp is accessible.

Suggest El and Bill's account of South sound - Check out Eagle, Hope and McMicken Island - Marine parks. Hiking trails, old homestead on Hope Island. Lots of seals on Eagle Island. - Joe Emma state park - windy spot, not sure if dock is installed yet - restrooms and picnic area.

Since I have never done this before, suggestions are appreciated. Expect that Sat night we will have the usual CBGT potluck at the picnic shelter -

Come prepared for camping - local stores and restaurants are distant.

Looking forward to fun with the C-Brats.

Jim
B~C

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goog bit of info there Jim. here's a link to Zittles if anybody is interested. We launched there once a few years back, the parking situation worried me a bit. The parking was a bit tight so we had to park on a wide spot in the road above the marina...looked like easy pickings for vandals to me...it's been Swantown for us for our South Sound adventures.

http://www.zittelsmarina.com/about.php

Does Boston Harbor have a ramp?
Capital Sea

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Capital Sea
Photos: Capital Sea
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boston harbor has a ramp with no side dock and it is no good in low tide situations. The gas at Boston Harbor and Zittel's is priced about the same and of good quality. At Boston Harbor they come out and you pay at the pump. At Zittel's you go up and in to pay. The store is better equipped than Boston Harbor. As I said before, the ramp at Zittel's is protected but the dock is short and best from a +5' and up tide. I have been stuck in the water more than once but they have covered daily moorage with full hookups.
As for safety, Zittel's is Very very safe for parking. The extended family live above the marina and also above the parking area. They are friendly and in tune with activity. I would park my car here before I would do so at the port of Oly (Swantown). When you live out on a peninsula as we do, about 2 blocks from Zittel's, reading the crime reports in the local paper is more than just a hobby. In the past three years no break ins and no car prowls have been reported within miles. This I expect is due to the fact that their is one way in and one way out once you get 1/2 way out to the point.
The parking area is limited to 5-6 back in spots at the base of the hill and a string of back in spots all the way up the hill (100 yards) with more up top. On busy summer days they run a shuttle bronco to speed things up. These are nice folks.
Fees: in/out+ one night @$10.00 + $5.00 each additional night parking.
Hours for gas and store starting May 1st: 8-2 sat/sun 8-4M-F
Phone: 360 459-1950

At Jarrel Cove, the showers are free but the water, I expect is not heated. There are ac outlets at the sink and I recommend BYO TP. As noted in a prior post, a horseshoe court is located next the the reserved covered eating area but its BYO shoes.

Re Navigation: As was pointed out, if you round Harstine Island clockwise, you will be in some shallow areas. west of Squaxin is even more shallow.
If you are rounding Harstine counter clockwise, you will be exposed to some open water that can kick up some chop. You will round the point of Harstine just past the tennis courts which have a tall green fence that gives you a good landmark but stay well off the point as it extends way out as a sand bar.

Save our Sound!
jstates

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve and Kath

Thanks for the excellent information and links to Zittel's

Jim
lilpete3

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Lil Sal
Photos: Lil Sal
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Newbee! Reply with quote

Hello all! I've just recently purchased a C-dory (16' angler). No I'm not wealthy but enjoy fishing boating and friendship. Looking forward to many years of enjoying my new/used boat and hopefully making some new friends along the way.
B~C

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the pub. Not wealthy? heck you just got a C-Dory which you can use to generate a wealth of memories Smile nobody has enough durn money, and once you buy a boat, you notice you have even less, I've noticed that I've got progressively poorer since getting into boating...come on down to the J. Cove gathering and generate a Brat Pack memory
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome lilpete3, You are doing good so far. You bought a boat, wonder if anybody told you that you get a really great, helpful and enjoyable family along with it. Glad to have you on board the Brat site and hope to cross wakes frequently, (We are nearly neighbors, usually launching out of John Wayne at Sequim, but occasionally we checkout PA launch sites as well. We always keep an eye out for other C-Dory's and usually try and contact on VHF chan 68.

You just posted on a thread about a gathering at Jarrell Cove State Park. It is coming up first weekend in May and there will be a great time, with a bunch of C-Dory's and their people there. Hard to find a better way to get acquainted. It's come as you are, and talk boats and stuff, have a good time and make a bunch of new friends. Easy to sign up, on the home page look at the coming events, pick Jerrell Cove and you can read about it there and sign up there too. Looking forward to meeting at some point here.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zittels is looking better and better - I assume there is ample parking? What is the nearest tide station? How does it look for retrieval on Sunday?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Capital Sea

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Capital Sea
Photos: Capital Sea
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Tides at Zittles
I use Olympia for tides and the #'s are good enough.
Friday has a 1.9' at 10:25AM and by 4:46 it's a +12.0
Sat has a 0.0 at 11:01AM so best will be pre 8:30AM or post 2:00pm
Sun has a -1.7 at 11:39AM so the afternoon will be solid as 6:22PM is a +14.3'
You can cut it closer with tides like these. The issue is that you run out of dock but the end of the dock has big rollers and so with two lines your 2nd can hold the boat on the end while you park.
In a pinch Zittles also has a lift.
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A FYI, I just returned from two nights at Jarrell Cove State Park. Rain, snow, sleet, hail, and 35 mph winds. Wonderful spring cruise! The good news is that the showers have hot water, $.50 per 3 minutes, and the restrooms are heated. I splurged, $1.00 shower. Wonderful. Laughing

Robbi
jstates

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: The Dock and Boat Ramp Reply with quote

The Dock at the state boat ramp adjacent to the bridge across Pickering Strait to Hartstene Island is now in place.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: