To Fridge or not to Fridge - that is the question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Engel is very quiet and is only noticed overnight and it does not bother this light sleeper at all.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: engel Reply with quote

travelekes wrote:
Hello, I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have recent experience with Engel fridges?
Like this one:
https://overlandsite.com/camping-equipment/engel-dual-zone-fridge-freezer-review/

We use a 40 qt Engel, and love it. On the boat we keep it well below freezing to freeze water bottles and food that go into the Yeti for the daily meals.

travelekes

City/Region: West-Ossippe
State or Province: NH
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: engel Reply with quote

Wandering Sagebrush wrote:
travelekes wrote:
Hello, I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have recent experience with Engel fridges?
Like this one:
https://overlandsite.com/camping-equipment/engel-dual-zone-fridge-freezer-review/

We use a 40 qt Engel, and love it. On the boat we keep it well below freezing to freeze water bottles and food that go into the Yeti for the daily meals.

Thank you for coming back to me. And for everyone else too.

Yes, I guess, I don't really need a dual zone 12V fridge/freezer, only a one-zone that can cool as well as freeze if needed, and supplement that with just a cooler box like the Yeti. I am not sure if Yeti's prices are justified, though.

I am considering these at the moment:

https://overlandsite.com/camping-equipment/rtic-cooler-review/

Seems well below Yeti's price ranges and comments are pretty good.
Snider

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Kestrel Dawn
Photos: Kestrel Dawn
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Marketing Reply with quote

Yeti=best marketing campaign ever.

We’re in the market for a cooler, we had been leaning towards the Engel (cooler, not the 12v fridge). That one you posted is interesting, thanks

Canyon coolers seems to also be worth considering.

travelekes

City/Region: West-Ossippe
State or Province: NH
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Marketing Reply with quote

Snider wrote:
Yeti=best marketing campaign ever.

We’re in the market for a cooler, we had been leaning towards the Engel (cooler, not the 12v fridge). That one you posted is interesting, thanks

Canyon coolers seems to also be worth considering.

Great, thanks I will check out the Canyon coolers too
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: engel Reply with quote

travelekes wrote:
travelekes wrote:
Like this one:

Thank you for coming back to me. And for everyone else too.

Yes, I guess, I don't really need a dual zone 12V fridge/freezer, only a one-zone that can cool as well as freeze if needed, and supplement that with just a cooler box like the Yeti. I am not sure if Yeti's prices are justified, though.

I am considering these at the moment:

https://overlandsite.com/camping-equipment/rtic-cooler-review/

Seems well below Yeti's price ranges and comments are pretty good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zu-V0ZqfYHg
Phil Barnes

City/Region: Colorado /San Juan Islands
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Swan-C
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of comments on coolers. We have an RTIC, probably a 65 quart size. It looks like it was made from a Yeti mold as the two are almost identical. We notice that the lid gasket is not as tight as it could be in the center so I probably lose a little air there. Could be just the way mine was assembled or the way the gasket is installed. It is tough and well made. Arrived nicely packaged and without any damage. They are on sale periodically and also have scratch and dent sales on line once in a while.

We also have an Igloo Sportsman purchased at Costco a few years ago. We use it more because it seems to seal better. Same size.

Both are good coolers and both quite a bit less expensive than Yeti. That said, if you want the best quality available, Yeti probably cannot be beat. All of them are rotomolded plastic so empty they can weigh quite a bit. 20 to 40 lbs depending on brand and size. A consideration as one decides to load it at home or load it when it is already on the boat.

Yeti was the first out with improved cooler technology but there are half a dozen brands that make high quality tough coolers now for extended use.

All of the above have thick insulated lids. That is not always true with the next level down in coolers. It depends what you are going to use it for. If you are going to be out for a long time then it is likely worth spending more so your ice lasts and you are assured your food will stay cold. If it is for shorter term use many coolers will work just fine.

One of the differences is in how tough the coolers are. Some have piano or rod hinges the full width of the coolers. Others have hinges held by four screws that work fine under light use. Some take a locking pin or padlock that helps with keeping animals out or if you wish to lock it to the boat with a cable. Some latches are more animal (bear) resistant.

You can extend the life of your ice in any cooler by keeping it in the shade and by covering it with a wet towel or sheet during the day to take advantage of evaporative cooling. If the outside of the cooler is warm to the touch the inside is warming up too.

Lots of options to choose from for your particular use...and at different price points.

The river rafting community and those that spend extended time at Lake Powell have this down to a science. There are other threads on the site that deal with coolers for extended time out but thought I would put in a quick summary here since it came up. My two cents anyway....
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: engel Reply with quote

The perfect example of why I don't carry an ice chest. $2.40 for a six pack of pop. $230 for an ice chest. $10 worth of ice. Five days later, I can drink a can of pop that is 34 degrees. Of course, that 40 cent can of pop cost me $40 to drink cold. By the time I finish drinking it, it will be 54 degrees. If I didn't have a cooler and just drank it at 54 degrees, it would still cost only 40 cents. As a bonus, I don't ever have to buy ice, carry a cooler, find space for a cooler, trip over a cooler, etc.

All that cost and screwing around for a temporary delta of 20 degrees? Bah. Coolers are for kids.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: link to some good info Reply with quote

I love these long term posts. Here is a good current site that talks about all the brands of fridg/coolers with Danfoss/swing compressors - these will give you the low amp draw that most boats need:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/12v-fridge-engel-arb-or-national-luna-us-support.8516/
The method of small freezer only with frozen water bottle swap makes a lot of sense, like a hybrid car also works best for some folks.
Bob Jarrard
PS: My off-roading friends use the ARB but is is $$$$$$$ BJ
Snider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: engel Reply with quote

Meh, I can drink warm soda or even beer, but try keeping food for any length of time when it’s over 100 degrees out. I guess we all have different challenges depending on our geographic region. We’re leaning towards an Engel. Then just something else that will hold fish for a day.

Marco Flamingo wrote:

The perfect example of why I don't carry an ice chest. $2.40 for a six pack of pop. $230 for an ice chest. $10 worth of ice. Five days later, I can drink a can of pop that is 34 degrees. Of course, that 40 cent can of pop cost me $40 to drink cold. By the time I finish drinking it, it will be 54 degrees. If I didn't have a cooler and just drank it at 54 degrees, it would still cost only 40 cents. As a bonus, I don't ever have to buy ice, carry a cooler, find space for a cooler, trip over a cooler, etc.

All that cost and screwing around for a temporary delta of 20 degrees? Bah. Coolers are for kids.

Mark
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't see much price difference between a 50 qt ARB and a 40 qt Engel. In fact, the larger ARB unit is slightly less on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Q1INDM/?coliid=I1XNJEQXFWP68Q&colid=3QW2VDSTJ9PNT&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001SNWCFO/?coliid=IS2U6U1LCEBBL&colid=3QW2VDSTJ9PNT&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I remember the last time this topic came up and thinking an ARB 50 would suit us fine. But I never measured the cabinet where the current Norcold is to see if I could make it fit.

ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the fridge underway and love the icecubes it makes for my bourbons at night.

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any brand of these chest type refer/freezers, will benefit from extra insulation. We use 5/8" styrofoam covered with plastic one side and mylar aluminum on the other side. Cut outs for the ventilation ports and duct tape on the corners--and "hinge" (or just set a couple of pieces on top) will make them much more efficient. We also use the trick of a white towel, kept damp over the top--makes a huge difference at Powell, where you can have over 100* during the day.

By the way, 100 degree beer is not all that good! I like mine cool!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Snider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only Redstripe at that temp lol
That’s the secret.
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: cool cooler chest - Southern Style Reply with quote

For those of you who can remember the Rural Electrification Act (1935) there were already ways to keep things cool if not cold. In the Keys of Florida, one of the last places to get ZipZapPower, there were not lots of handy cold springs, nor caves to store winter snow/ice, nor root cellars (high water tables). But there was lots of burlap bags, wood crates, and a bit of line (and water, lots of water). You hung a wooden crate in the shade where there was a breeze, covered it with several layers of burlap, and kept the burlap wet (lots of systems and styles of doing that - a small boy with a dipper/bucket of water being a favorite) and you got a nice temp drop if it was not too humid. Look up the early recipes for that famed Key Lime Pie. It was made without refrigeration.
Bob Jarrard (also known as "Older Than Some Rocks but not as Smart"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: